Ruger precision rifle

I want to see some long range groups after that hammer pounded, full of stress barrel heats up. Frank from snipers hide is a money wh__e these days and will give a good review to a donut if paid enough.

A few other guys over on the Sniper Hide are getting them in and one guy while working up loads was shooting .2 to .4 moa 5 shots at 100 yards. With his 243 shooting smk 107s . another guy shooting a 6.5 was shooting .6 moa. I think with factory loads? gun)

I want to see some long range groups after that hammer pounded, full of stress barrel heats up. Frank from snipers hide is a money wh__e these days and will give a good review to a donut if paid enough.

Funny, although I agree, I don't think it is just now a days. It may be just a little more noticeable now.

For someone that wears his former military service on his sleeve, you'd think that he was the only one that has ever served. Military service and all, he sure is a whiny little female dog.

Still, I am looking forward to seeing how these shake out in the consumers hands. If it is GTG then my opinion is it's a lot of gun for the money.

Got 'er scoped and sighted in. First shot was left and low. Adjusted up and over, hit above the bull left, adjusted down and over and hit just low, moved it up and stacked 3 rounds in a ragged hole. Didn't measure. Next 5 at steel. Banged 2,3,4,5 and missed at 600. I reckon it kinda wants to shoot. Will wring it out more tomorrow, when it is calmer.

IMG_6345_zpsnhr0s6tb.jpg

IMG_6358_zpsj0lgfsny.jpg

IMG_6353_zpstk2ia2qj.jpg

IMG_6359_zpstjbu3mhp.jpg

Hammer forged barrels "walk", I've been through enough of them and done testing specifically to determine how much each barrel walks and which way.

Other hammer forged barrels: 3 Vanguards, several Remington.

2 of the Vanguards were changed due to unacceptable POI shift/walking and one has very bad fouling problems leaving one of 3 hammer forged that after much tuning of rifle and load works and does not walk any more than general group opening from heat.

Other than trying to get the 300 RUM to shoot to my requirements non of the other Remington barrels have been worked for accuracy. They are just test mules for the xx-Nosler chamberings. It is obvious they "walk". Never did get the 300 RUM to shoot.

I believe the Remington barrels are button rifled
Links: Firearms History, Technology & Development: Rifling: Manufacturing: Button Rifling

Barrel making method information for reading:
Explained: The Three Types of Custom Rifle Barrels

All About Barrels

Ruger haters are going to hate rugers no mater what. When someone post that they have had trouble with a certain rifle I don't doubt them but there will be several others that have no trouble at all. Old Bill is dead. Ruger has changed. They are giving people what they want. AT a price they can afford. Ruger has set a trend . The other companies are suckling wind, Now they have to catch up. Factory barrels will never be as good as a custom barrel and they sure will be easy to change out on this new Ruger. But what I have seen they sure are shooting good.

Remington barrels are hammer forged. Says so in their current catalog. Yes, they developed the button rifled technology during WWII but don't use it because they make sooo many rifles that it is faster and cheaper for them to hammer forge ( and I'm sure they pass the savings on to you). :D

The ONLY button rifle they make is the x40. They also take great pride in letting consumers know that the X40 IS button rifled.

Links to the catalog and x40 info are below.

Which technology do you think Remington thinks is better?

Link to catalog:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=3XBvZ1utjN4blbPi6pyE2Q&bvm=bv.99261572,d.cGU

Link to x40 rifle info: 40-X Series

I confess, I am an old Ruger rifle hater. I've never seen one worth keeping compared to other factory bolt reapeating rifles. I got rid of mine, all but one Remington and now shoot Savages. I used to say, life is to short to shoot a Ruger. I do know that times have changed, Ruger is doing something here they will pan out for some, and will not for others. Time will tell, I personally want to see what it is capable of in the area it was built and intended for. A course of fire, say 10-20 round strings under time getting that barrel smoking hot. If it does well, I may buy one to play with. The intended use is to get novice shooters involved in the sport an affordable cost, and that I am sure it will do. We can all be honest here and agree that the accuracy is there. The question is can it maintain it under demanding courses of fire? If purchased for plinking my money would bet it is a winner.

I confess, I am an old Ruger rifle hater. I've never seen one worth keeping compared to other factory bolt reapeating rifles. I got rid of mine, all but one Remington and now shoot Savages. I used to say, life is to short to shoot a Ruger. I do know that times have changed, Ruger is doing something here they will pan out for some, and will not for others. Time will tell, I personally want to see what it is capable of in the area it was built and intended for. A course of fire, say 10-20 round strings under time getting that barrel smoking hot. If it does well, I may buy one to play with. The intended use is to get novice shooters involved in the sport an affordable cost, and that I am sure it will do. We can all be honest here and agree that the accuracy is there. The question is can it maintain it under demanding courses of fire? If purchased for plinking my money would bet it is a winner.

Very well said and on target. I don't think anyone is really trying to hate Ruger or this rifle.

Remington barrels are hammer forged. Says so in their current catalog. Yes, they developed the button rifled technology during WWII but don't use it because they make sooo many rifles that it is faster and cheaper for them to hammer forge ( and I'm sure they pass the savings on to you). :D

The ONLY button rifle they make is the x40. They also take great pride in letting consumers know that the X40 IS button rifled.

Links to the catalog and x40 info are below.

Which technology do you think Remington thinks is better?

Link to catalog:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjABahUKEwjeqfCy3oXHAhWJmogKHcjLDYs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.remington.com%2F~%2Fmedia%2Ffiles%2Fcatalogs%2F2009%2Fremington_09catalog_rifles.ashx&ei=S5u7VZ7YG4m1ogTIl7fYCA&usg=AFQjCNF1mRXghvVrki6UGgMYpm8x_Qycvw&sig2=3XBvZ1utjN4blbPi6pyE2Q&bvm=bv.99261572,d.cGU

Link to x40 rifle info: 40-X Series

So the sendero model that many here love, must be crap too, because it is hammer forged as well?

Come on, your bashing on hammer forged barrels is coming unraveled. It is disingenuous at best. Weigh each on it's own merit.

I am bringing this up because someone may be making a choice of where to spend their money, and anything less than honesty is a disservice to fellow enthusiast.

Examples of manufactures known for accurate and quality rifles with hammer forged barrels on production rifles: Tikka, Sako, Noveske, BCM

So the sendero model that many here love, must be crap too, because it is hammer forged as well?

Come on, your bashing on hammer forged barrels is coming unraveled. It is disingenuous at best. Weigh each on it's own merit.

I am bringing this up because someone may be making a choice of where to spend their money, and anything less than honesty is a disservice to fellow enthusiast.

No offense. I was just correcting your thought that Remington barrels were button rifled as well. I never said that anyone's beloved rifle was crap.

There a lot of technologies and different manufacturing methods used creating long range rifles. Each has differing cost, advantages, and disadvantages. I have stated some of my beliefs based on my experience with the technologies and methods, so that other enthusiast might make an informed decision. I have not been bashing anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.