Ruger FTW .300WM Bullet selection help

DUSOUTH

Gents,

Going to begin load Work up a for a friend on a New Ruger Hawkeye FTW Hunter in .300Win Mag. Im using ADG .300Win Mag Brass a Fed 215M. And either H1000 or Retumbo.

1st bullet choice Berger 210HVLD

Measured the to the lands today in this rifle with the 1st bullet choice the Berger 210HVLD. COAL gave me 3.485" at 0.010" off the Lands which has produced for me VERY WELL in almost every rifle I've loaded for.

The Problem-

Mag Length is 3.440" MAX

So, load them .055" jump? Which seems like a lot of jump on this bullet. I've read the Berger book but from the history I have the VLDs like to be in or near the lands.

Or how about the 215 Hybrid? Nose length is longer which could give me more trouble? But I've had good luck with the hybrids/elite hunters at .040" jump. I've seen Broz write up on the 215 and it seems like a great choice but possibly seated Very deep in this case.

Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

I have the same issue with most of my rifles as well. One option is to single feed so you have the 0.010" jump you want or try a few rounds with the 0.055" and see how it does. I hunted with some Barnes bullets awhile back and they recommend 0.050" jump for their bullets for whatever reason and I never found a problem with them for accuracy, just a problem with performance on game animals. Anyway, my two cents worth.

Nothing wrong with the original choices, they can be made to work. The overall rifle configuration, and the fact you're loading for him, suggest it's more a mid range, than long range deal. Question does he really need a high BC bullet, or would something like the Hammer in the 166, or 174, be better suited?

Or do what I did go from Berger to the 181 hammers and be happy. It's by far the most accurate I've ever got it even out to 1000. Most people never hunt that far or even shoot. They just don't seem to care about the jump. And unlike Bergers never seem to fail to function.
And don't get all Berger fan boy on me. I've never had enough experience with them to form an opinion but that is the one common thing all the guides for African game seem to complain about so I've just steered clear. I may be wrong cause lots of successful guys here with more experience than me.

We are planning to run it out to 600+. I don't want to run a sub 180grn bullet really. Just got my hands on the rifle today and found that it has the short Mag Box comparatively speaking.

He doesn't want to load singles into the rifle and I don't blame him. Going to have to be <3.440". May try to find a couple/few 215 Hybrids to try in the OAL gauge and see what I get.

Thanks,

I've always been a Barnes fan. But the bergers are hard to beat at distance(retained energy, and for me accuracy, low expansion FPS). That being said I'm more of a "tool for the job at hand" kinda guy. I still REALLY like a TOUGH bullet on thick skinned game... Nilgia, Moose, etc. I want guaranteed penetration. But I also understand the "fragile" bullet design and its effect on thin skinned game deer, antelope, elk, etc.

I'm a fan boy of what works.

Thanks,

Nopw the 215 will be seated further out because of the ogive. I'd look at maybe a 200 eldx.

Decided to run a 185 Berger Classic Hunter. H1000 Pressure test saw nothing until 80grns 3070fps. SUPER flat spot 77.5-78grns. 5 shots at 78grns went 2953,2951,2947,2950,2948 @88* 45%H. Looking really good here. Best 3 went .623" @100 yds. Which was mostly Horizontal Dispersion. More than likely was shooter error/recoil flinch.

Running ADG .300WM Brass .333 neck, and Fed 215M primers.

9EE4E980-4464-495E-86DA-D0F1C966B3EF.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.