Ruger American Gen 2 vs Ruger American Gen 2 Rancher

BamaHunter

Im looking at purchasing one of the new Ruger American Gen 2s for my son, mainly for the adjustable LOP so he can grow into it. I have a silencer co omega 36m ordered to pair with it. Would there be enough velocity lost to matter in a hunting situation (whitetail say at 300yds) in the ranch 16" barrel + 7" silencer vs the standard American with a 20" barrel + 7" silencer? The shorter barrel is more attractive for manuverablity with the added silencer, but dont want to afffect killing power at the 200-300yd range. In the ranch I would go with the 6.5CM in the standard i would go with the 7mm-08 based on current offerings. Any input would be appreciated.

Inside of 300 yards with either 6.5CM or 7-08 and it won't matter if the bbl is a little shorter.

Go with what fits the young man and allows them to shoot/practice the most.
The trigger time and practice lends confidence and the ability to place the shot, which determines the outcome since both of those have more than enough energy and penetration at 300 yards or less.

Good on you for spending time with him on this.

Does this come with a 8.5twt?
Sure does…
IMG_3795.jpeg

I did some load development for a Kimber Adirondack in 7-08 with an 18" barrel. Based on what I saw, I don't think you'll have any problems running the 16" with or without a can on the ruger. I mainly run the silencerco omega 30. Whitetail inside of 300 yards is an easy task for the 7-08. Pick one up and enjoy it

This what my drops look like using the Lapua 144 FMJBT. That should give you an idea using 140-143 grain bullet for hunting. This rifle has a 16.5" barrel with a 9" Banish 30 suppressor.
IMG_9206.jpeg

I'd wait another month or two for the rest of the caliber offerings to drop and get him a 6ARC. It will have considerably less recoil and is just as capable of dropping deer out to 300 yards.
The recoil in 6lb 7-08 can be overwhelming for smaller humans. Hell I don't care for anything more than stout 270 load in model 700 BDL.

I'd wait another month or two for the rest of the caliber offerings to drop and get him a 6ARC. It will have considerably less recoil and is just as capable of dropping deer out to 300 yards.

Well, 300 yards probably means not in a stand. Everything is a compromise. I'd be happier with him growing into a 7-08 for deer. An underloaded 243 might lose +1 out of 20, other things equal. But, each needs to make their call.

Well, 300 yards probably means not in a stand. Everything is a compromise. I'd be happier with him growing into a 7-08 for deer. An underloaded 243 might lose +1 out of 20, other things equal. But, each needs to make their call.

I shot a crap load of deer with 243's with bullets not as good as modern designs like the ELDX and they all dropped instantly or within 20 yards. 6ARC will kill them just as dead to distances well beyond what he's looking for. It also won't beat the kid up and match ammo is available for $1.10/rd for plenty of training. Its a wiser choice.