rmington 783 vs ruger american

taylorg

Hello Im looking to buy a rifle on a budget aND I'm looking at the ruger american and the remington 783. I'm looking to do semi long range and hunting which would be better for what I'm doing? Thanks in advance
gun)

I have not handled them both, only the Ruger American, which I think is nice and understand they shoot well. I'd like to handle a 783 Remington to see how they feel. I shoot mostly Savage model 10's and 12's.

I have seen them both shoot 1moa or better at the range Boyds offer aftermarket stocks for the American also the cheek piece that Ruger will send you after you purchase the rifle is a nice little incentive. I understand the bedding system of the ruger is its secret to its accuracy. I guess it has a unconventional recoil lug setup. But I'm not sure if it has the features I speak of, I'm only going off what I have heard. I soon will have the chance to see first hand. I'm going to paint my buddies American and give it a desert tan theme.

About a year and a half ago I was thinking about what you are now trying to do. I ended up with a Marlin X7. The X7 and the 783 are very similar (same trigger, etc). I'm very happy with my X7. I think you can't go wrong with either. My main issue with the RAR was the stock, both feel and flimsy forend. Now you can get a Boyd's for it but you'll be adding more money to the overall cost. I thought this read was very helpful: AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"!

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a Ruger American Predator as a cheap back up gun. The Predator version has a slightly heavier barrel, and it is available in 6.5 Creedmore. i have heard good things about the accuracy of both rifles, but the 6.5 would be best for longer range shooting.

If you want a cheap rifle to get you started that you can customize later on to build a nice shooter out of, go buy a Remington 700 ADL 7mmRM from Academy Sports for $379.99, or buy a 700 SPS, or 700 Long Range in 7mm RemMag.

Stay away from the Remington 710/770/783 rifles. They are not upgradeable later on. There is no aftermarket for them. And there are no custom parts to upgrade them, if they're even upgradeable at all.

Do yourself a favor and buy a true 700 action rifle, like an ADL, BDL, CDL, SPS, Long Range, Sendero, 5R Milspec, etc... And not one of the econo 700-imitation rifles that are junk (710/770/783).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.