Ruger American -06

Waynzee

I've started sighting in my RAR - 06 I get 2 shots touching and the third goes 1.5 inches high and right, is there a fix for this to get it to be more consistent? I've tried different hand loads, powder, bullets, ect.,some are worst than others.

W, perhaps look elsewhere, correct action screw torque, scope mount torque and barrel cleanliness. My grandson has one and the rifle shoots very well out of the box. I've read quite a few posts here about these rifles shooting well also. Might also check the scope for zero hold. Good luck

In my experience usually that type of thing if it is consistent is caused by the barrel not being free floated or action moving in the stock from improper bedding or loose action screws and or heat in the barrel.

I agree with above. Check your barrel clearance and the bedding, or lack of bedding. Do a bedding job on her and that'll probably fix your "flier" issue.

Thanks guys, the left side of the stock looking towards the end of the muzzle is touching, but its real light, a slight pressure moves the stock away from the barrel. Other than that the barrel is free floated. Would that much pressure make a difference? I torqued the action screws to Rugers specs. 70 inch lbs. All scope and base screws are torqued to specs also. I'm going out tomorrow with some other handloads, a friend told me sometimes it takes a lot of rounds to break in the ruger barrels. If that doesn't work maybe a bedding job will help.

Ya, I don't think your barrel will "break in" and no more fliers. Sounds like you have a decent load for it, you just gotta work out the flier issue. Fliers will happen from heat and or harmonics. I'd sand your stock where it's touching first. If it's still throwing fliers, then bed it. Get ya some acuraglass or I use "marine tex". You can watch a youtube video on how to go about doing it. Or just read the directions on the acuraglass. It's an easy DIY, and will save ya a few pennies. Now, if your hesitant at all about it, send it to the pros... You don't wanna glue your stock to the action!!

Yup, hammer forged barrel.

Good, however, there are limits and things to know.

First, do all the stock relief and bedding things.

Work on a consistent hold.
Work on a consistent hold.

If you still get a flyer on shot 3, IIWM get a infrared thermometer and take the temperature of your barrel after each shot. All over the barrel. If you get a sudden rise that is repeatable or a "hot spot" you probably found the issue.

I read on one message board that a guy was having the same problem. Take the action out of the stock. Then put it back in. Tighten the front stock screw first then the back one. He said it centered his action in the stock. Another one heated the stock and used a straight edge to move the plastic stock away from the barrel. This could void the warranty however.

Thanks guys, I took the action out and sanded the left side of the stock a little and put the rifle back together, torqued the screws to 70 ft.lbs.. Took it back to the range and good results, 3 shot groups you could cover with a nickel. (165 gr. Sierra GK, Federal brass, CCI BR2 primers and 55.5grs. R17 powder. It's not the hottest load, but how much do you need to take a black bear or deer out to 300 yards?

Nice. Glad to hear that it is shooting well. Those little Rugers are surprisingly good. We have used several of them for bullet testing out to 600 yards. All of them have held MOA or better for us. Hard to beat these for sub $300.

Steve

Thanks guys, I took the action out and sanded the left side of the stock a little and put the rifle back together, torqued the screws to 70 ft.lbs.. Took it back to the range and good results, 3 shot groups you could cover with a nickel. (165 gr. Sierra GK, Federal brass, CCI BR2 primers and 55.5grs. R17 powder. It's not the hottest load, but how much do you need to take a black bear or deer out to 300 yards?

Yeah, success.

The bear or deer will not notice another 50fps. Accuracy rules.

Thanks again, ya know, this is a good website all most anything to do with your firearms you can find out here.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.