Ruger American Rifle

powderBurnz

Whats the general consensus on a Ruger American rifle? Are they any good? Im looking at a Compact 243. Thx.

I have a 6.5CM in the Predator line of Ruger American that shows promise. Only have one quick range session but under an inch with no real break in. I think it'll tighten up with 50 or so shots on a factory barrel that's not hand lapped.

I have 2 friends with the standard .243, and neither had good success with that specific rifle. Not saying all are bad, but neither of theirs are shooters so far. One tried hand loads and factory, one just factory.

Overall for the money, I'm pleased with my Predator model. I cleaned up the barrel channel and worked over the trigger myself, and it's like a new gun. Perhaps see if they offer a .243 in the Predator line with a little beefier barrel?

Good luck.

Bought my son a RA in .308. That rifle is sub MOA with Hornady 150 gr American
Whitetail. Great value.

The Ruger Precision Rifle is a Ruger American with a change to the back of the action and all the attachments for AR-15 furniture.

I have one it 308 and it shoots.

I have a Ruger American Rimfire. I love it. Just a Timney trigger, Boyds stock, take 2 inches off the end and recrown and it's a great gun for the price. I got rid of my 10/22 becuase the RAR is better.

More Ruger Americans are on the list. Just got to get rid if these Remington 700s. A few left to replace with an RA or Mark V.

I have personally hand loaded for two RARs, one a 270Win and the other a 30/06 and both shoot sub .5MOA. My S-I-L has one in 308Win and it shoots right at .5MOA. I don't think there is any other rifle for that kind of money that will shoot anywhere near that accuracy. I consider them a well built rifle as well.

I have a Ruger predator in 223, and seeing how it's called a predator I thought I would give it a paint job that suited it.

Shoots not bad too, even with cheap Remington bulk solid core ammo!

Well I might as well post my Ruger American predator 6.5 Creed.
It shoots several loads sub...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 114
Here's a 140 ELD load that has tightened up a little after the stock change.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 107
I bought the compact 243 for my daughter last year, sub .5 moa with factory ttsx right out of the box. For an inexpensive rig I was beyond surprised and impressed.

They got a reputation for being shooters. Hammer forged barrels, evidently of good quality.

My grandsons 9 and 11 have .223 and 7mm08 RAR rifles. They shot Hornady factory ammo sub MOA. My son loaded some Berger 130 VLD's for the 7-08 which were outstanding at 200yds. Very surprising performance for budget rifles, I'm impressed. The kids both want Boyd's Pro-Varmint stocks for them.

Gohring 3006- did you order that pro varmint stock for a standard RAR, then open up the barrel channel to fit the heavier taper barrel of the RAP?

Gohring 3006- did you order that pro varmint stock for a standard RAR, then open up the barrel channel to fit the heavier taper barrel of the RAP?

Yes, Boyds told me it wouldn't work for the Predator.
I opened up the barrel channel, and had to mill out around the safety. Apparently they have different safety mechanisms. It was a simple process. I had the Predator barreled action fitted to the stock in less than a hour.