Ruger #1 7mm STW

Autorotate19

I have a friend of mine that has a ruger 1 in 7mm STW. He kinda wants to get rid of it and I think I could get it pretty cheap from him. How are these rifles accuracy wise? What options do I have to make it more accurate etc..... Its the laminated stainless version so it looks pretty sharp. Should I buy it or is it a waste of time? Any suggestions or experience appreciated!

A lot depends upon what you intend to do with the rifle. If you just wish a short range rifle then it will certainly do that easily enough. If on the other hand you wish to use it for long range work then a lot also depends upon the rifle and a lot depends upon your abilities. If the rifle does not have a history of accuracy then you will need to be very experienced as a reloader and very experienced as a gun tinkerer.

If it does not have an adjustable trigger then you will need to get one. Most people will want to use some extension rings so you will need those. You may need a cheekpiece.

It would be for long range work out to around 1,000 yards. I wouldn't hunt with it just because I dont like the idea of the single shot but for something to just mess around with. I am pretty experienced at hand loading and have developed loads for several rifles. I guess my main concern is how inherently accurate are these rifles out of the box. Anyone out there that shoots one long range and what did you have to do to yours to get it to shoot?

Thanks

I have a blued version in 7mm stw and it shoots very well. #1's are known for vertical stringing because of the spring tension design into the forearm. Freefloating the barrel and adjusting the tension usually will work. Search on here because there have been some good threads in the past on accurizing the #1. It is a great rifle and was a good platform for the 338-378 wby when it was a wildcat cartridge since minimal work was needed on the falling block action to turn about any #1 into the biggest 338's off the 378 wby and 416 rigby cases. Also with a 30" barrel it is about the same length as a mk 5 wby with a 26" barrel. I have several of them.

I have one of the SS Laminate ones and it is certainly accurate enough to take game out to 1000yds. I don't think I shot it at all before I free floated the barrel though. Recoil is much more punishing than the 7 Rem mag but if this is indeed a good deal you will kick yourself later for not picking it up.

Long Ranger, you one of those lucky fellers that got one of the non cataloged blue STWs or is it a rebarrel?

James

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.