Rings and bases for $100

Welderboy250

I have been driving myself crazy trying to put together a decent rig that I like and can b proud of. Have a plastic stocked mark V 300 wby mag in good used condition and found a broken lazermark stock that ill be able to repair and have a pretty working mans gun. Also just bought an awesome used vx-3 lr 4.5-14x40 from a fine gentleman on this site. So I need to get it all mounted together in a way that is both pleasing to my eye and efficient in function and cost. I'd like to be able to buy the parts for less than 100 and I would say I'm definitely not willing to go over 150 for the stuff.
With that in mind I was looking at the EGW picatinny rail and rings but they are aluminum. Maby that is fine but I have been told by more than one local magnum fanatic that I had to have steel rings and bases. So I'm looking for ideas and opinions on what to do before I go bonkers. Thanks, Jimmy

I'd go Talley rings on that setup. I like the screw locks best but the one piece works well too. Should be a great rig when you finish.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately talley doesn't seem to offer anything that works with a picatinny style base. I was hoping for a somewhat universal system so I can apply it to other guns in the future and be able to easily swap scopes around if need be without buying more parts.

You don't need steel rings on magnums these days.....That's an old wives tale. Back in the day the alloys weren't anywhere bear as strong as they are today.

The EGW HD aluminum base will be strong enough. Also, the TPS TSR aluminum rings (ultra-low height, in your case) will be just fine for that rifle.

I use that combo on several rifles and it works just fine for me. One of them is a 7mmSTW.

You don't need steel rings on magnums these days.....That's an old wives tale. Back in the day the alloys weren't anywhere bear as strong as they are today.

The EGW HD aluminum base will be strong enough. Also, the TPS TSR aluminum rings (ultra-low height, in your case) will be just fine for that rifle.

I use that combo on several rifles and it works just fine for me. One of them is a 7mmSTW.

AMEN!!! I get sick of seeing that AL mounts and rings cant work for XX caliber.....because about 90% are flat wrong.

Im with ya on this one

AMEN!!! I get sick of seeing that AL mounts and rings cant work for XX caliber.....because about 90% are flat wrong.

Im with ya on this one

Yep. Back then the alloy mixtures weren't near as pure or accurate as they are these days with all the technology and equipment we have now.

The EGW HD bases are made of 7075 aircraft grade aluminum and are VERY strong and rigid, but also more malable than steel, which means that they can absorb recoil shock better than a steel base.

I think I'll get the egw hd picatinny rail but still don't know what rings I want. I don't care for the looks of any of the egw rings. I like the way the nightforce rings look but they r way out of my price range. Anyone have any suggestions?

I use Burris Extreme Tactical Rings. :)

joseph

Attachments

• bling .JPG
    bling .JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 107
  • BUBBLE LEVEL .JPG
    BUBBLE LEVEL .JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 112
Hey Mudrunner,

I didn't mean to offend. I was saying they have the cool look in addition to being very stout rings.

Hey Mudrunner,

I didn't mean to offend. I was saying they have the cool look in addition to being very stout rings.

None taken man. I was just explaining because alot of people use the term "tacticool" when referring to mall-ninja type stuff as a derrogatory adjective, so I was just clarifying for those who were unaware. It's all good, I knew you weren't trying to put anythng down.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.