Right handed, but left eye dominant

I built a rifle for my son who is currently 4 years old, but will start shooting next year. He's right handed, so I built him a little 16" 6 Creedmoor on a Savage action. Its a great little rifle. However, the other night we were playing around looking through an empty paper towel roll and I noticed he kept putting it up to his left eye. I ran downstairs and grabbed one of my scopes and told him to look through the lens and tell me about the lines he saw. He put it up to his left eye again.

So now I don't know if I should teach him to shoot righty, or if I should build him a lefty rifle instead. I wouldn't mind building a new rifle. I love that whole process and then it would free up a new action for another build that I don't need. What should I do here?
Im right handed, left eye dominant. I shoot left handed. No one taught me to shoot left or right. I just naturally shot left when I got a bb gun. Now I can shoot right handed and have made some kills right handed. I always use right handed bolt guns. Let him shoot left. It's never been a big issue for me. I wouldn't worry about it much.

As someone who was left eye dominant but had to learn most stuff right handed then change, just teach him left handed the first time. That way he wont struggle with dominant eye issues learning to shoot correctly with both eyes open

I'm left eye dominate right handed. Didn't get a choice learned to shoot that way shoot everything with my left eye clear. No issues. No regrets maybe it was the way I was raised but I don't have any issues archery muzzle rifle handgun shot gun. Stuff dies and steel rings

I shoot right, but am left eye dominant. By using your weaker eye it'll strengthen and he will be able to keep them both open. Teach him to shoot both ways imo

I'm left eye dominant, but very right handed dominant. Shoot right handed and have all my life. I've always just closed my left eye when aiming thru a scope. But I'm my late 20's I started training my self to keep both eyes open and trained myself to focus on the right eye when aiming. It helps to focus on the actual reticule not the animal.

I'm right-handed & left eye dominant...I've shot right-handed bolt guns for years and managed just fine shooting left-handed with them regardless of operating the bolt with my right hand.....Bow, I draw with my right and sight with my right eye....handguns, left eye. When focused on a target, one is going to do what's natural to them by bringing the fire-arm up to the dominate eye....bench shooting you can control cause you have time to think about it, in the field you may not be able to.

I built a rifle for my son who is currently 4 years old, but will start shooting next year. He's right handed, so I built him a little 16" 6 Creedmoor on a Savage action. Its a great little rifle. However, the other night we were playing around looking through an empty paper towel roll and I noticed he kept putting it up to his left eye. I ran downstairs and grabbed one of my scopes and told him to look through the lens and tell me about the lines he saw. He put it up to his left eye again.

So now I don't know if I should teach him to shoot righty, or if I should build him a lefty rifle instead. I wouldn't mind building a new rifle. I love that whole process and then it would free up a new action for another build that I don't need. What should I do here?
Hey,
I think I've mentioned this before but when I was 18 years old and in MCRD San Diego I was in with a group of guys where most of them were from Detroit and Flint Michigan....city boys. I thought as a country boy with a fair amount of experience shooting rifles at animals, I would shoot the pants off of them, LOL. I shot high sharpshooter which was not what I anticipated, better than lots of them but not great. I had always shot right-handed. 2 weeks before qualification they gave us a personal coach. Mine was a corporal Tonn from Iowa. I told him my problem and in about 3 seconds he determined I had a left dominant eye. He said we'll switch you to shooting left. I said in 2 weeks??? He said no problem. Told me I would be shooting expert in no time. He was correct, and in no time I was pounding the bull steadily. Shot pretty darn high expert every time I qualified, not just the 16 but the 14 also.... I would highly suggest letting him shoot left handed. It will make you smile when he starts hitting targets like his old man. BTW I have always, since I switched to left, shot with both eyes open.
Semper Fi
Tens :cool:

Definitely build him a rifle to match his eye dominance, I'm left eye dominant but started rifle and bow hunting with right handed weapons…it took a while, especially bow hunting to change hands but it was worth it in the end.

My wife is in the same boat. We compete in cowboy mounted shooting. It is more advantageous to shoot right-handed with more patterns being created by right handers. While competing we shoot both eyes open and at close range (5-15') shooting balloons with blanks. I didn't think it would really matter which hand/eye she shot with. She seemed to miss more than she should, so I got her to switch to left-handed. It really surprised me how much better she shot. Only issue now is muscle memory shooting a single action pistol with her left hand.

I am right handed, and left eye dominant. I grew up learning to shoot rifles right handed and I use my right eye. I'm Generally a good shot but I did find out if I wanted I was just as accurate shooting lefty.

The only time the left eye thing was an issue for me was learning archery. That's when they actually found out I was left eyed, shooting youth archery around 10 years old or so. So to this day I shoot a bow lefty, and guns right handed. Never been an issue and right handed rifle are a lot more readily available also.

Let him try shooting both left and right. At his age he could pick it up easy and be an ambidextrous shooter. let him practice 50/50. At an early age my father told me to try shooting from both sides that way if I had a situation where I had to change from right to left i could shoot. When I went into the Marines you had to shoot "Right" handed even if you were left. Good thing for me I was right-handed and could shoot either way. It came in an advantage for me when I was in a situation where I could not shoot right handed due to positions in terrain.

Right eye and shoot good enough left hand. More comfortable shooting left but in the service they made me shoot right. I switched back as soon as I could, If you could hit a half sheet of plywood with a 16 (about what it was good for) for expert rating, , what difference did it make.