Left handed or right handed??? strange question on rifle choice..

azpaleo

Hi everyone! I am thinking of getting the Savage 110 BA in 338 LM. I can either go left handed or right handed. I am a left handed shooter and have only one bolt action rifle which is right handed. All of my other rifled are ar and M-14 platforms. I could go left handed, but have gotten used to the right handed 10 FCP McMillan I own. Not sure if I should just stay with all right handed keep my left finger on the trigger guard while I cycle the bolt with the right hand keeping the stock in my shoulder, or use the .338 the way I was trained in the Marines. Right hand supporting the stock underneath and left hand cycling the bolt? Silly question, but the .338 is a heavy rifle and will be a little different than the .308 setup.

Thanks!

Personal preference. I'm a righty but my shooting buddy is a lefty with both right handed and left handed rifles. He shoots the right handed ones OK but I know he prefers the lefty ones and always buys a lefty when buying new. I'd personally want a left handed rifle if it were me.

Left hand rifle. Safer in case of an event the could potentially vent gas back towards the shooter. Left hand action would be better to direct that away from shooter's face.

I asked myself the same question recently. Im a lefty and all my rifles are r/handed until I purchased a M700 Varmint left handed in 243 few months ago. Now I wished all my others were left handed. The one thing Ive noticed that sticks out the most after cycling a lefty is I can maintain site picture on game animals after that first shot whilst chambering another round for a follow up. I had difficulties doing this with a r/h action as I had to try and support the rifle/barrel with one hand via the pistol grip whilst chambering that next round. I also feel better knowing any gasses that want to escape are on the opposite. Mcmillian makes stocks for lefties also. Should have mine in another 6 weeks after nearly 6 months in the line.

Hi everyone! I am thinking of getting the Savage 110 BA in 338 LM. I can either go left handed or right handed. I am a left handed shooter and have only one bolt action rifle which is right handed. All of my other rifled are ar and M-14 platforms. I could go left handed, but have gotten used to the right handed 10 FCP McMillan I own. Not sure if I should just stay with all right handed keep my left finger on the trigger guard while I cycle the bolt with the right hand keeping the stock in my shoulder, or use the .338 the way I was trained in the Marines. Right hand supporting the stock underneath and left hand cycling the bolt? Silly question, but the .338 is a heavy rifle and will be a little different than the .308 setup.

Thanks!
I was born left handed. i shoot,write, eat, comb hair left handed. all other task i do right handed. i own 3 lh rifles out of 45 owned rifles. in all honesty. i perfer to use rt handed rifles. unless a person is in a combat situation, rt hand work great. one shot one kill. i have a left hand Remington 700 300wm. #5.5 contour wilson barrel. will drive tacks. i shot 10times, can cover with 50cent piece. i hand load all my rifles, and my shotguns. 30" barrel with muzzlebrake.
1 6mm and 1 223 varmit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.