Right handed, but left eye dominant

I built a rifle for my son who is currently 4 years old, but will start shooting next year. He's right handed, so I built him a little 16" 6 Creedmoor on a Savage action. Its a great little rifle. However, the other night we were playing around looking through an empty paper towel roll and I noticed he kept putting it up to his left eye. I ran downstairs and grabbed one of my scopes and told him to look through the lens and tell me about the lines he saw. He put it up to his left eye again.

So now I don't know if I should teach him to shoot righty, or if I should build him a lefty rifle instead. I wouldn't mind building a new rifle. I love that whole process and then it would free up a new action for another build that I don't need. What should I do here?
He is only four and maybe a brief discussion with an ophthalmologist about any possible change in eye dominance might occur within the next few years is common or not..........just a thought.

I would first confirm that your son is,indeed, left eye dominant. If that is the case you should start him shooting left handed.

I had a friend that was right handed,but left eye dominant. He shot bow right handed for 20 years. We would attend 3-D shoots together all the time. One day I noticed that he was trying to aim with his left eye. Tested him and he was indeed left eye dominant. He got a left hand bow and in a few weeks he was in the winners circle quite frequently.

I didn't read the whole thread….

I used to be, yes used to be right handed and left eye dominant. I shot archery left handed, but rifles right handed. Shot pistols left handed..

I had lasik and switched to right eye dominant. Now it's all right eye. Archery, rifle, pistol.

Cater to the shooter. Make them as accurate as they can be

My son had the same problem, he shoots left handed now.

Now that he's 8 he's learning to close his left eye.... Soon he will be able to shoot either hand/eye.. however I'm still going to build him a left hand rifle for long range because he's still alot more comfortable when shooting lefty.
This is him Shooting the AR lefty at 5" steel 254yds.

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_160853476.jpg
    IMG_20211013_160853476.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Thank you all for the advice. It sounds like I should source a left hand action and stock for my son. Thank you all again!
you don't have to source a lh action and stock for the kid, at least to start with. a lefty will shoot just fine with a rh setup as long as it isn't a dang thumbhole stock , have an awkward palmswell, or an over the top cheekpiece ... think straight stocks and it'll work fine; they can decide which side the wiggly handle should be on after they get their shooting fundamentals down.