Right handed, but left eye dominant

megastink

I built a rifle for my son who is currently 4 years old, but will start shooting next year. He's right handed, so I built him a little 16" 6 Creedmoor on a Savage action. Its a great little rifle. However, the other night we were playing around looking through an empty paper towel roll and I noticed he kept putting it up to his left eye. I ran downstairs and grabbed one of my scopes and told him to look through the lens and tell me about the lines he saw. He put it up to his left eye again.

So now I don't know if I should teach him to shoot righty, or if I should build him a lefty rifle instead. I wouldn't mind building a new rifle. I love that whole process and then it would free up a new action for another build that I don't need. What should I do here?

I don't know what the right answer is, but what works for my daughter, I put a piece of tape on the left side of ther shooting glasses, and she shoots with right eye/right hand. Myabe I should have tried something else, but she does not want to try anything else.

If his shooting eye is his left eye then IMO he should shoot lefthanded. Take it from me a lefty who's right eye is dominant, use the dominant eye! AND as soon as possible teach him to shoot with both eyes open which is much easier if the dominant eye is doing the sighting.

I am the same as him. I'm left eye dominant and do most things right handed. Being the only lefty in the family I learned to do everything right handed. I shot my bow right handed for years before switching to left handed. I wish I would have started left handed but the switch was really pretty easy. It felt much more natural that way.
I think you should switch him to a left hand setup. I think he will take to it faster that way.

I am right eye dominant and right handed. I shot that way for years. My cataract surgery on my right eye didn't work out so good so I now shoot right handed using my left eye. I bought a scope mount that allows me to mount my scope on the left side of my rifle. This has worked for me, however I think that you should take the advice of the folks who have said to teach him to shoot left handed. He is young enough that I bet it will work, if not, my solution may be an option.

I'm right right and grew up where new shooters were strongly discouraged from being a lefty. My brother is Right Left and shoots rifles and bows left handed and pistols right handed right eye. I trained myself in my early 20's to shoot all firearms either Right Right (preferred) or Left Left depending on the situation. To sum it up....not even a doubt let him shoot the way he is most comfortable with and encourage him to try different ways even slightly.

As I have gotten older my left eye is starting to dominate at least to some degree. I am right handed and have always shot righty. It makes it almost impossible to shoot with both eyes open now. Wing shooting and handguns are much more difficult unless I squint my left eye. If I was young I would start shooting lefty. Although this would make finding rifles that worked well more difficult.

I'm in the same boat…left eye dominant but right handed, and I've shot lefty from when I was a kid…
Same here. When I started shooting as a kid I tried to shoot RH and it was difficult for me. When I switched to LH it became much easier. I'm almost 61 and just built my first LH centerfire rifles this year, wish I'd done it years ago.

My buddy is left eye left handed but like many has had to live in a righted dominant world. All of his guns are right and he has learned to shoot both ways but prefers left. He shoots his bolt action rifle left and works his right handed bolt without any movement it looks much smoother than me. It kinda makes me want a left handed rifle. I'm a righty
Let him be a lefty and learn the other if he is so inclined

Thanks

Buck

Both my sons are left eye, right hand. They are 6 and 9. I am still figuring out this question. I believe I am going to end up with 1 of each, a right and left shooter.

Neither kid can easily control/wink his eyes well. The 9 year old is worse and I have him working on shooting lefty. The 6 year old can control his eyes better and wants to shoot righty.

Have him shoot what feels natural I think.

I am left handed, left eye domiant and still do many things right handed like golf and bat. I can also shoot a rifle right handed fairly well. I have taught a lot of people to shoot. You will NEVER be as good a shot shooting with you non-dominant eye, it it will also really mess with your ability to shoot shotgun, combat pistol and the like where you need both eyes open for sure. Teach him to shoot left handed, he will thank you forever and left handed guns are not that hard to find.