Rifles we wish we've never sold, and WHY!

Not a rifle, but a pistol. I inherited a new, in the box, Colt Woodsman Match Target 22. When I would shoot it, it just seemed to hit exactly whatever I was aiming at. I sold it to buy a mountain bike. The bike is now worth next to nothing (this was in 1992), and the gun has just gone up in value. I just found an identical gun and bought it this last week. Not a new one, but it is still in great shape though without a box. Pretty excited to be messing with it again.

Two come to mind, casualties of a divorce!
Model 700 Remington SS 25-06. I loved that rifle
Model 700 Remington 300 RUM Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
The first time I shot it, I bought some Remington ammo at the gun shop. My son went to the range with me. Got it sighted in on paper at 25 yds. Then moved to 100yds. First shot is ~1.5 inches high..center. Right where I wanted it. I triggered the second shot. My son looked through the spotting scope. "Dad, I only see only hole." I thought "***". Triggered the third shot. My son says "Wow, Dad, that one is really close to the third one". Range was called clear and we went to check the target. The second shot nearly went through the first hole! The three shots could be covered by a nickel with room to spare. Told my son that we were gonna leave that rifle alone. DAMNED ex-wife!!

Still have every one. Just add a new safe when I need more room. All of mine are set into my trust and I have a list of which ones go to which of my children and grandchildren etc. With a stipulation that they have to remain in the family and can never be sold.

Two come to mind, casualties of a divorce!
Model 700 Remington SS 25-06. I loved that rifle
Model 700 Remington 300 RUM Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
The first time I shot it, I bought some Remington ammo at the gun shop. My son went to the range with me. Got it sighted in on paper at 25 yds. Then moved to 100yds. First shot is ~1.5 inches high..center. Right where I wanted it. I triggered the second shot. My son looked through the spotting scope. "Dad, I only see only hole." I thought "***". Triggered the third shot. My son says "Wow, Dad, that one is really close to the third one". Range was called clear and we went to check the target. The second shot nearly went through the first hole! The three shots could be covered by a nickel with room to spare. Told my son that we were gonna leave that rifle alone. DAMNED ex-wife!!
10-4 on the casualties!🤣
Also, I had a real deal 700p, that came from a counter sniper squad, from a genuine police dept. That rifle was unfired, and would shoot 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards, any day. That one was a victim , also from buying a house, shaving to upgrade water softener system. Sickening@😩

Last edited:
I don't sell any that I like. If I sell or trade it's because there is something I don't like or it doesn't perform the way I want, so no regrets. I did trade off a tang safety Ruger 77 257 Roberts for a Remington 700 MTN rifle dbm in 7mm08. That was after I slimmed the stock down and added Rosewood forend and grip caps and bedded it. It would only shoot one load well that I found. Within a year I bought a 77m2 in 257 Roberts. That's been traded off just last year and no regrets.

Hi Joe, I have always wanted one of those old .35 Remington pumps. I never had one. I did
see one at the local gun shop not too long ago. The price was O.K. but it was beat inside
and out.
Zeke

4 or 5 of them I can think of off the top of my head.
Browning A-bolt stainless Stalker 270wsm
Sako 75 Grey Wolf 270wsm
Browning BAR Safari 7mm Rem Mag
NIB Browning A-bolt Medallion 30.06
Remington 7600 BDL 30.06 super nice wood and blue finish.
There may be more that I'm not thinking of right this minute.

Ohh and a Dan Wesson 10mm 1911 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thinking about guns I have sold and regretted is as sad as thinking about the friends I enjoyed shooting them with that are no longer around. That's why I don't sell any guns anymore I like having my friends around

For me it was a perfect Browning BLR in .308 with 4 clips. This model , the clips were flush with the bottom of the receiver. Thin pencil barrel. What a perfect gun for Maine and NY State woods hunting!!! Leupold 1 and 3/4 compact scope. I used the $600.00 as a deposit for my Weatherby Ultra Light , in 270 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.