Rifles we wish we've never sold, and WHY!

At a restaurant my wife and I were discussing a purchase of another rifle. She stated that I should sell some of the ones that I had not shot for a while to finance the purchase. Then a Lady that she had been friends with before came by and she introduced me to her, the lady was there with her SSA (Cowboy Action Club) having an end of the year dinner. My wife spouted off, "Yeah, I was just telling my husband he had to sell some his guns to purchase another one." This lady interrupted and said, "Oh, honey, you don't sell guns!" I blurted out, "I think I love you!" to the 30 year older than me Lady.
That's when the fight started!

I've got tons of exes I wish I had back. Here goes: a 218 Mashburn Bee on a Martini action. She was thin, nimble and athletic. A 700 Sendero in 7 RUM. She was thick and tall and could really reach out with precision. A 40X in 7mag. Curvy and just right with pretty looks. An older super well done sporterized 1903 in .257 Rob. A craftsman did her right. She was experienced and taught me many things. Her colors showed her age but she had figure and deep blue steel. Many a game animal succumbed to her grace. A wild and dark DPMS .308. She was too heavy but tall and did the job every time I called her up. There are more but I can't type any more through my tears.

Real easy question to answer. Late 70s' Remington 40-X, clip-fed sporter in .22 LR. It had the most amazing piece of American Walnut for a stock I have ever seen. Excuse me while I find a Kleenex.

Mine was the gun that got me hooked on long range shots. I purchased a Model 700 Remington in 300 Win Mag back in the early 1970's which needed some work to get it to shoot acceptably. After working on the bedding trigger and magazine I had 1" or better groups at 100 yds. Hell I used penny match envelopes opened up for targets and was disappointed if I did not have a 3 shot group in it at 100 yds. I shot many wood chucks with this gun at 400 yds.
I quit moose hunting for 20 years and as such was not using it so a sold it to a friend.
I have not owned a more accurate gun since.

1973, 14 years old, working after school at Builder's Hardware in Charlotte, NC, which was the largest gun shop in the city at that time. A widow came in with her deceased husband's collection of custom rifles. The owner of the shop didn't want to take them on, but I bought his LWBR rifle, built by the great Keith Stegal of Gunnison, Colorado. A .222 magnum, Seiko L461 action modified to single shot, Hart stainless barrel, AMAZING Canjar single set trigger, Nieder steel buttplate & grip cap, and the most beautiful, dense french walnut stock. It was topped with a Lyman 20x LWBR scope, bringing it to 10lbs, 6 ounces. $275, when I was working for $1.65/hr. The incredible thing about this rifle was not that my teenage reloading skills and inexperienced bench technique were producing high .2s. It was that, contrary to all current wisdom, this rifle was inletted with a SEAMLESS wood to metal fit from tang to the end of the forearm. Flawless, stunning workmanship. But at 16, my interest turned to cars, and I liquidated the Stegal custom rifle, a Nickel 6" Python, and a Weatherby shotgun to buy my first car, a 1960 MGA convertible. That car, more than anything, is something I regret selling, but that's a story for another forum... :cool:

My first rifle when I was 11yrs old. Mom & Dad bought me a Ruger M77 stainless in 30-06, had the zytel/paddle stock & silver VX2 3-9. Killed deer & elk & built memories. Was 21 thought I couldn't live without the snowmobile at the time so I traded that rifle & $500 cash for a SkiDoo summit. I had another hunting rifle so I thought I'd be fine. Ohh how I regretted my foolishness quite often. Had our first daughter & sold the sled to pay for bills cause I didn't ride as much & life went on.....11 years later my Mom passed away & I could not stop thinking about the sentimental value of that rifle that she helped get me. I'm cringing just typing this 🙄.......However there's a positive outcome to this post..... Shortly after Mom passed I called my buddy... and explained my situation & asked about the rifle, if he still had it, would you sell it back?? He didn't even hesitate with his response....."it's in my gunsafe, hasn't moved since you sold it to me 11yrs ago.....come get it." I got my rifle back & was able to learn from the foolishness of my youth

Tang safetyRuger M 77 270 win with a very nice figured stock. Tack driver with 6 X Leupold. Browning BBR 300 win mag , 2x7 Burris scope , action was smooth as glass and accurate as well. The reason I sold them , 3 kids and building a house. It was a big mistake but replaced them.

Last edited:
Oh, so many... The reality of living life from one paycheck to the next. Starting with my 1413 Anschutz that I ordered directly from Germany when I was a teenage competition small bore shooter. It went to get married and is probably in better shape today than the wife of 50 years :(. Next a nail driven Browning B78 26-06. Shot too many deer to count, but thought I needed something with a magazine and better safety. Never needed a second shot anyway. Biggest loss came at the hands of my dad. He was a great man, but a sucker for fast talking shysters. Came home from college one weekend to learn that he traded all the old lever action guns for a Remington Model 600 in 350 Rem Mag. Gone were a Win Mod 1892 25-20 that he bought as a teenager, hunted for a lifetime and was my first hunting rifle; a Win Mod 1895 45-90 used in the historic Johnson County War; my second hunting rifle a Savage Mod 99F in 300 Savage; last but not least, a Savage Mod 99 takedown model in 22 highpower. My sister still has the *** Rem 600:(.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.