Rifle Make Over

fetch

I'm starting with a rem 700 sps varmint 308. Has basic weaver bases with a bushnell elite 3200 3x9 scope.

I know this isn't a custom or anything special and not looking to re barrel yet. But it will be my learning work horse for the next couple years.

There are a few things that I do want to change and need a few opinions. I will be hunting with this rifle and will be walking in up to 2 miles so trying to keep the weight reasonable (around 12 pounds, guns 8 1/2 out of the box)

1. I want to replace the stock. Like to keep it under $300. I have looked at the b&c offerings. I would like to have an adjustable cheek piece.

2. I would like to put 20 moa bases on

3. Scope: Been looking at the vortex pst line, but the price tag is hefty, I don't mind if its really worth it.

Am I leaving anything out?

1) Go to brownell's or midway and get yourself some 200gr lapping compound (silicate), and some fine grit (silicate). Lap the lugs with the 200gr till you can see even contact.

Use carb cleaner to blow it all out when you are done.

Then use the fine and repeat the process until it is smooth and shiny.

2) Get yourself a snap cap. Use the same lapping compound on the trigger group, and I mean paste it in there good. Work the trigger and safety 200 times with the 200gr. Blow it all out with carb cleanter and repeat with the fine.

3) Free float and bed the stock you have now with marinetex, JB weld or something similar. See threads on bedding.

4) Don't go Cheap on glass. If you have to save for an extra month or so and buy the best you can scrape up the cash for.

Next year when you have saved some more cash up start looking for a new lighter stock.

Then shoot the hell out of it and have fun!

I'd bed the rifle into a used VLS stock. It would be a significant improvement over the factory plastic and would set you back very little. Glass is a personal choice and I run everything from turreted VXII's,III's, Mark4's and Nightforce scopes. My turreted VXII's and III's see the most use on my main killing rifles. 3.5-10 is my preferred power range though I know most guys like more X's out front. I'm used to the 10x's and just prefer them. I've shot a lot of groundhogs from 500-1000yds with just 10x and don't feel handicapped. I have no issues with deer and 10x. I also have no problems with deer and a fixed 6x to 500yds. I just shoot a lot with my glass at long range and have gotten used to it. That's just my opinion on glass and I realize lots of people have other preferences.

I'd bed the rifle into a used VLS stock. It would be a significant improvement over the factory plastic and would set you back very little. Glass is a personal choice and I run everything from turreted VXII's,III's, Mark4's and Nightforce scopes. My turreted VXII's and III's see the most use on my main killing rifles. 3.5-10 is my preferred power range though I know most guys like more X's out front. I'm used to the 10x's and just prefer them. I've shot a lot of groundhogs from 500-1000yds with just 10x and don't feel handicapped. I have no issues with deer and 10x. I also have no problems with deer and a fixed 6x to 500yds. I just shoot a lot with my glass at long range and have gotten used to it. That's just my opinion on glass and I realize lots of people have other preferences.

I agree totally on the VLS stock. New from Remmie is $250 and used from E-Bay is 105-150 approx. They fit me to a T and $$ wise are tough to beat

Im running 6-18 Leu's and 4-12 also 6-18 Zeiss on mine.

if you do want a laminated stock Numrichs has great prices along with gunbroker and ebay for take offs. if you want a fiberglass stock HS or B&C work well but neither have an adjustable cheek piece. You shouldnt need one though just get as low of scope mounts as you can for your scope and your cheek weld should be right in there. Usually the adjustable pieces are for those using large objectives on sporter rifles or tall rings. I have an HS stock for sale on here with the aluminum bedding block if thats something your interested in. Also for glass I reccomend gunbroker. Find a nice used VXIII itll save you a lot of $$ Ijust bought a 4.5-14x40mm LR for 525 on there the scope is like new and it saved me about $150. A timney trigger isnt a bad place to spend your money either, for $125 you get an awesome trigger.

Agreed. I've done more long range shooting with 10x and 14x scopes than most people will do in a lifetime.

Given a choice between a high quality 10x scope and a cheap 20x I'll take the 10x anytime.

To the OP don't shy away from used scopes as long as it's something like Leupold, NF, or others who will honor a lifetime warranty.

One great thing about the Leupold's is you can always upgrade windage and elevation knobs, reticles etc through their custom shop.

Personally I'd say go with the 4.5-14x50 Leupold or 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest for someone on a budget that wants the best quality they can get for the dollars.

when lapping the lugs, do I need to take the barrel off or can I just paste it in there and work the bolt?

B&C offers an A2 tactical with adj cheek piece and lop, or add a karsten to a standard A2 for 50$. The new rifle basix L-1 is an awesome trigger, better than the Timney imo. Sightron makes awesome glass for the money. Also an EGW 20moa rail with weaver 6 hole tactical rings is a great lower cost setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.