Suggestions wanted: Rem 700 BDL 7mm RM make over

I am a victim of the wildcatters. I would have never consider one before I joined here. After reading and gathering into on them, I am now planning 2 build and both will be wildcats. I like the redesign for efficiency and performance. That is exactly what I would try to do if I had the skills....which I don't. So thank God for all of you that can and do!

I had a Rem 700 ADL that I bought used in the 70's. It was originally made in 1965. Several years ago i had it rebarreled into a .300 Win Mag. I bought a used HS Precision stock to drop it into. Turned out to be a nice hunting rifle. I don't think it would be too shabby shooting long ranges with too, I just haven't done any past 500 yards.

I'd lean towards a 30 cal mag. You can shoot heavier bullets and have a wider variety to pick from.
If wanting to stay with the 7mm, consider the 7mm-300. It'll give you more powder to push the velocities.
You might want to add what you hunt and how far you're going to kill paper.
I just did a 28 Nosler. If I had it to do over, I would have done this, and almost did. I also considered building an original Mashburn Super Magnum. Not the long, the original since I have dies.

For a STW all you have to do is swap out the mag box for a 375 length box or remove the spacer from the rear of the box you have and shorten the bolt stop slightly. Have done it many times on both 700's and M70's. IMO the 7MM STW is amazing, and its recoil is not much more than a standard 7 Mag.

I just did this sorta. I have a Savage 112 BVSS in .300 WinMag that I've had for 7-8 yrs. Love the caliber. It was fairly accurate and I've shot it to a mile.
Decided to stay with the .300 and went with a Pac Nor Savage pre-fit, 28", 1-9 twist. After I got the barrel I rented a Ryan Mantha finish reamer and used it extend the throat to optimize the use of the 215gn Bergers. All I can say is "Wow"! This really takes the .300 to another level.
I'm effortlessly running them at over 3000fps and Pac Nor makes a darn great barrel. Accuracy is terrific and groups are one ragged hole at 100yds but I'm consistently getting 2-3" groups at 1k!.

My 7mmRm has a 28in (27 finished) #5 from brux..... shoots .368in, 4shot groups at 100yards, thats good enough for deer n elk in my book. most barrels in 7mmRm if treated well will start to lose accuracy around 1400 rounds if you like to really shoot this might not be a good paper round, if you "down load" im sure you can get more but, you might as well just shoot something else and save your hunting rifle.

After putting pen to paper on all the expenses I'll incur to rebarrel this rifle to a Remage in 7mm RM, I've been able to convince my wife it would be cheaper to just buy another rifle. !!!!!!! Now I can get my first left handed bolt gun!!!! I've never owned a left hand rifle! This will give me a light weight hunting rifle and then I'll buy a heavier long range rifle. So for this rifle, I'm going to leave it as is and just work up a load that it likes best in the 160-162 gr bullet range. Any suggestions on best bullet and powder combo?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.