make a long range hunting rifle

bob1257

I have a interarms Mark X 7 mmMag that I would like to make into a long rang hunting rifle. any sugestion would be wellcome.

Last edited:
Forget barrel lenth. If it will shoot 1/2 moa or better your rifle will work, if not it will need bedded or something. I like scopes vairable scopes with the top end in the 20 to 25 X range and also prefer mil dots. You will need the best range finder you can get. I use the Lica 1,200 and it runs out of range for me. Also you will need to shoot the highest BC bullets that your gun shoots well. Work out a drop chart and wind drift chart and field check it. 1/2 moa is 3 in. at 600 yrds and thats max if your shooting coyotes. The reason I like mildots is only for wind drift or lead, I always dial in drop. A cheap scope will kill you. You need one that will track to the same point of impact every time you crank the knobs. I use all Leupolds. You must pratice at long range or all you did will be of no use.

I have a 7 mag with a 26" bbl and one with a 24" bbl. Krieger and Shilen respectively. 26-27" is the longest you'd ever need with a good barrel for 7mag.

I'm fond of the 5R style rifling for ease of cleaning, less fouling but ultimately, accuracy is the purpose. I'm also fond of the fewer groove barrels: 3 and 4.

My next 7mm bbl is on order right now from Shilen. But I would not hesitate to get one from Krieger, Hart, Bartlien, Obermeyer, Broughton, Lilja, Rock, or Brux.

My Goal is to shoot up to 1000 yards. I will need to do more research on barrels and stocks I think. I plan on using this rifle on a elk hunt in the next year. So this build will need to wait till I get back. Any suggestion will will help me. THANKS

the main things I would recommend are a good scope, a good rangefinder and a good load. The berger 168 hunting VLD's were phenomenal this fall on deer and antelope, and I would have no qualms about using them for elk as well. Get some and work up a load based on data from emailing Berger with your rifle & caliber specs. Nice thing is they come in boxes of 100 so you will have enough to practice.

Use a common ballistic calculator to generate some dope and then go test it afield to verify drops.

enjoy.

Put your rifle in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, skim bed it, put good glass on it (Nikon or Leupold at a minimum), do a good barrel break-in and start your load development.

After shooting it for awhile, you may wish to replace the trigger. Timney triggers are pretty good and not too expensive. There are other options, as well.

Having an aftermarket barrel installed is also an option, but I would not do so right away unless the rifle is shooting poorly and is not responding to handloading. You would be better off to spend your money on ammo while you build your long range skills. When the factory barrel becomes the limiting factor in your long range shooting, replace it.

When you finally do have the barrel replaced, have the face of the action squared, the bolt face squared, and the bolt lugs lapped (if needed).

You chose a very good rifle. Enjoy your shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.