Suggestions wanted: Rem 700 BDL 7mm RM make over

BLovell

Guys, I'm thinking about rebarreling my Rem 700 BDL 7mm RM sported into something that would be better suited for longer ranges both in hunting situations and as a paper puncher. I've thought about getting a 26" 7mm RM barrel that is more along the lines of the medium varmint profile, but am open to other calibers.
Any suggestions on good/ great calibers to swap it to and still be making the best use of the action length and bolt head is greatly appreciated. I've thought about swapping it to something in the .264 diameter, but this project is a blank canvas at the moment.

Suggestions?

Mount a decent LR scope on it with suitable mounts and rings, load (or buy) some boat tail bullets and head to the range and see how it shoots now. You may be surprised with the results.

You will get a hundred different suggestions on caliber, barrel manufacture, length, twist, contour; stock manufacture, model; scope etc. etc. etc. You have asked a very open ended question:D

Good luck

Jerry

Guys, I'm thinking about rebarreling my Rem 700 BDL 7mm RM sported into something that would be better suited for longer ranges both in hunting situations and as a paper puncher. I've thought about getting a 26" 7mm RM barrel that is more along the lines of the medium varmint profile, but am open to other calibers.
Any suggestions on good/ great calibers to swap it to and still be making the best use of the action length and bolt head is greatly appreciated. I've thought about swapping it to something in the .264 diameter, but this project is a blank canvas at the moment.

Suggestions?

I would go with a Proof Sendero Lite in 28 Nosler.

It's all up to your preference really. I'd leave the barrel and caliber alone for a while and I'd start by replacing the Trigger and then the stock with one made by McMillan or manners that is opened up for a heavier profile barrel. Then after you see how the factory barrel shoots I'd consider a rebarrel. 7rm is a great long range caliber and the rifle might be very accurate once you get the barreled action bedded into a quality stock with a good Trigger.

20190810_075427.jpg
Yesterday I shot this Black Wildebeest with a Rem Mag at 850 yards, I am very happy with this cartridge running 175 ABLR bullets.

I'd lean towards a 30 cal mag. You can shoot heavier bullets and have a wider variety to pick from.
If wanting to stay with the 7mm, consider the 7mm-300. It'll give you more powder to push the velocities.
You might want to add what you hunt and how far you're going to kill paper.

^^^This!^^^

You didn't mention if you were changing the stick and trigger like some suggest. If you are, why not just start or buy a complete new rifle? You can get a new 700 action for $350 or so. Now if you are just barreling, carry on......and 6.5 creedmore is the only choice....lol

You didn't mention if you were changing the stick and trigger like some suggest. If you are, why not just start or buy a complete new rifle? You can get a new 700 action for $350 or so. Now if you are just barreling, carry on......and 6.5 creedmore is the only choice....lol
I'm just planning on a rebarrel. This rifle is 20 years old. I've used it as a primary rifle off and on for the last 20 years. The stock has already been changed and is pillar & glass bedded. I am seriously considering just going back with a 26 or 28" 7mmRM. I just want to hear other ideas.

As far as the 6.5 Creedmoor I've already got 3 of them don't need a fourth.

Last edited:
I'm just planning on a rebarrel. This rifle is 20 years old. I've used it as a primary rifle off and on for the last 20 years. The stock has already been changed and is pillar & glass bedded. I am seriously considering just going back with a 26 or 28" 7mmRM. I just want to hear other ideas.

As far as the 6.5 Creedmoor I've already got 3 of them don't need a forth.
If you're wanting a lightweight match grade barrel then check out a Remage pre fit from Match Grade Machine.
Really quality barrels and awesome customer service.
My 26" 8 twist spiral fluted varmint contour 7-300 wsm barrel weighs 3.4 lbs.
It shoots one hole groups with 180 ELDMS at 3000 fps.

If you're wanting a lightweight match grade barrel then check out a Remage pre fit from Match Grade Machine.
Really quality barrels and awesome customer service.
My 26" 8 twist spiral fluted varmint contour 7-300 wsm barrel weighs 3.4 lbs.
It shoots one hole groups with 180 ELDMS at 3000 fps.
Thanks I've been checking into what it would take to "Remage" my rifle. I think that's probably the way I'll go. Just trying to decide on calibers

I'd lean towards a 30 cal mag. You can shoot heavier bullets and have a wider variety to pick from.
If wanting to stay with the 7mm, consider the 7mm-300. It'll give you more powder to push the velocities.
You might want to add what you hunt and how far you're going to kill paper.
I've thought about going with a .30 caliber. I have a T/C Encore Pro Hunter with a .300 WM barrel for it.

I currently hunt primarily white tails and mule deer. Part of what I want this rifle rigged up for is going out in the Big Bend to hunt Aoudad at longer ranges or if I do get an opportunity to go elk hunting, then I have the ability to reach out further if necessary. I want to target shoot out to at least 1600 yards once this project is complete.

Thanks for the continued suggestions.

I've done exactly what you mention and don't regret it a bit! I had a 15+ yr old Sendero that brought me into the LR sport. Eventually sent it off and had the action and bolt cleaned up and 26" 1-9 Bartlien varmint contour and finished off with a Manners stock. I've accumulated a lot of rifles since then, all about the same in build and components ranging from 6mm Rem to 300WM.
Seems like I always grab the 7RM when I go hunting. Maybe its because its familiar and sentimental as Vie had a lot of success with it.
All the other guns have their place, but I just haven't found anything that combines the speed, power, component availability and tolerable recoil like the 7RM does.

Suggestions?
Throwing out a question like this here is going to leave you far more confused and dazed than you ever thought possible. This is a site for the craziest, wildcating mofo's on the planet...and I love most of them dearly!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.