Rifle and Caliber Help

Texas89

Wanting to increase my range capabilities. I've always liked the Remington Sendero. I'm concerned that 300WM is too much for animals in texas. Is 7 mag a bad caliber seems like I've read mixed reviews. If someone has a caliber recommendation I'm all ears but I'd like to be able to buy factory ammo as reloading is out if the question due to funds and time. Always open to another rifle suggestion but I really like the lay out of the Sendero with stock barrel etc. So something along those lines I'd happily look at. Also if I do go with this rifle what would be beneficial to change to improve accuracy besides a new trigger.

i have both 7mm and 300wm. my brother has a .264. i think you would like the 7mm more. i have 5 shilen a one jewell triggers. several factory too, they are older ones and adjust nicely.

Tex89, can't go wrong with the 7mm Rem in a Sendero. Bed the stock and research loads, there are hundreds on this forum. If you don't reload, the 7mm Rem has a great variety of factory ammo available. Save the brass in case you decide to reload them. The 7mm Rem will kill anything in Texas and larger western game as well. Choose the best scope you can afford and quality mounts. Trigger job by a competent smith isn't that pricey or the Timney triggers are reasonably priced. All the 7mm Rem I have loaded for shot very well with bedding and trigger work and the 168 Berger. Good luck and be happy with whatever you choose.

Back a number of years ago the 7mm rem mag didn't have the bullet selection there is today. Now days with the bullet selection for the .284 caliber rifles they are hard to beat. I'm a little long in the tooth and do still like the 30 caliber rifles, but am coming around a little and will admit the 7mm rem mag, 7mm stw and the 7mm rum do occupy a spot in my safe and I enjoy shooting them. Good luck with your choice and Happy Holidays

If it is often windy in your area, I'll go for 30 calibers. The recoil is annoying if you don't have the muzzle brake on.
I like easy recoil and still accurate in long range, I'd choose 284 WIN, 260, 7WSM....

I also have both and would lean toward the 300 win mag. Just a fantastic round. That being said the 7 would fit your needs also. So just pick which one YOU like best.

I think the 7mm rem mag is a terrific caliber, but if I had to choose, my 300 wm with a brake would be my first choice. Shooting the berger 168s and hybrid 215s is a pleasure... Accuracy wise... As well as giving great BC. you can load them mild or not, and shoot the 300 wm so that its recoil is like a 243... Or less.

I wouldn't left my nose at a good 7mm rm in a Sendero config, but my eye would be in the 300 wm if given the choice.

The 300wm is not "too big". Basically it's a 30-06 with 200fps higher velocity with comparable bullets.

The 7mm Rem is a fantastic caliber. It's what I hunted Texas with for my first 25 years of hunting.

Once the 7mm STW came along I moved to it and it has remained my primary hunting caliber since.

Currently I own rifles chambered in everything from .204 Ruger to .375 Ruger including 3 300wm's and 3 300 Rum's.

9 out of ten times I'm going hunting anywhere in N. America for any species from hogs to deer to elk to bears and cougars it will be one of my 3 7mm STW's I head out the door with.

I literally have to force myself to take the other rifles out just to give them some field time because the STW's just do it all the way I love it to be done.

7mm seams to have the highest BC of all the calibers and in my recent research it seems to be the best caliber for long range. Im leaning toward a 7mm WSM for my next gun. Going to build it shoot the Berger 168 VLD bullet.

7mm seams to have the highest BC of all the calibers and in my recent research it seems to be the best caliber for long range. Im leaning toward a 7mm WSM for my next gun. Going to build it shoot the Berger 168 VLD bullet.
No, that's just not accurate. As much a fan of the 7mm's as I am the 30 caliber and larger diameter bullets have much higher ballistic coefficients in their heavy for caliber offerings than does the 7mm.

If you are comparing bullets of the same weight then yes the 7's have the edge but that is an apples to anvils comparison.

Compare the BC's of the same make of bullet for each caliber in the heavy for caliber offerings ie, 7mm 180gr, vs 30 cal 215's etch and you'll see what I mean.

Another vote for the 7mm Rem. There are a ton of manufacturer choices now for bullets. You can find Hornady 139's all the way up to Sierra 180's. I liked Federal 150's for deer and took a Moose with Sierra 165 Game Kings.

I reload Berger 168 VLDs nowadays and have taken my factory Browning A-bolt to 1,000 yards with hand loads successfully and accurately. I don't think I'll ever not have a 7mm RM as my main hunting rifle.

It's a real Ford vs. Chevy thing as they'll both do a great job and have readily available factory ammo.

I tend to lean towards the 7 mag myself as I'm a .284 junky. I was looking into a Sendero but since I can't find a new one in 7STW, I used it as an excuse to build my first custom.

As said above, lots of fatory loadings from 140-160 with a few above that. Get the best rings and glass you can afford to put on it and make some noise.

is it fair to say that the 7wsm edges out the 7 rem mag by about 100 fps? I compared some federal factory loads with the same bullet and it seems this is so.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.