caliber for new rifle

JDjones75,

Glad too see another 308 fanatic!
grin.gif

Yes, it gets over looked too many times due to its seemingly small size and its ballistics as they apear on paper seems less than desirable, but in the real world...

Yea , I like the 308 , granted I have some boomers that get shot alot and the 308 woulden't be my first choice for shooting out past 600yds but when it comes don't to it that is my go to gun , its kinda like my cowboy boots , not matter how long they sit in the closet they still fit perfect.
Once you get your drops and windage set for your gun the 308 is awsome and not brutal at all

I can't believe how much of the magnumitis and featherweight rifle crap that is going around. A responsible hunter has no business shooting at a deer at 700 to 1000 yards, no matter what he can do from a bench. In the field with the adrenalin flowing, you may not be able to hit a barn at that distance. What's the matter, can't you stalk. Thats the fun part of hunting and the skill, I might add. A 308 or 30-06 is plenty of bang for a whitetail. I once shot lengthwise thru a BIG Colorado buck muley with a 30-06, Hornady 165 grn. bullet, loaded to about to about 2700+. The bullet helt together and exited high in the right ham, leaving a hole about the size of an orange, dead on the spot. Shoot something you can hit accurately with. Give me an 8# 30-06 with good glass. I am 68 and I can still carry my load in the mountains. Is a couple of pounds of rifle weight that much different? Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Donald with regards to rifle weight. The thing that gets me is why go with a lightweight rifle and a big mag caliber? If someone was hunting Bighorn and wanted a light 6mm to carry up high I can understand.....Lightweight Magnum is an oxymoron!

I'd rather have weight than a brake.

Also, if you're not in shape to a 9 lb rifle afield, will a 7 lb be all that different?

In reguards to shooting animals at long range I only shoot "varmints" and in my area deer are way out of control and we can get tags to shoot them all year long on private land. I shoot at long range because that is what gives me the rush now days , testing my self against the range , and conditions.
Stalking , yes , all of my bigest deer were all killed within 30yds the very largest at less than 12 steps , when Iwant to stalk I bring my bow.

Donald, this site is called Long Range Hunting. Who made you God? If you can't or don't want to make the long shots than don't. But you have no right to tell us how far a responsible hunter can shoot. At 68 you should have control over that adrenalin rush. Those of us that do and practice at longrange can make clean kills at 700-1000 yards and beyond.

Don sais "A responsible hunter has no business shooting at a deer at 700 to 1000 yards, no matter what he can do from a bench."

I am just wondering what brought Don to this board in the first place. PETA has a web site; don't they?

rolleyes.gif
blush.gif
rolleyes.gif

Irresponsible Hunter

[ 06-28-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Donald

You are a fairly new member and you are welcome to stay if you can follow the few simple rules we have.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> A responsible hunter has no business shooting at a deer at 700 to 1000 yards, no matter what he can do from a bench <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find something else productive to long range hunting to talk about, please, Donald.

And let's not continue this part of the discussion, guys.

So what caliber did you decide on , the 308 right !! just kidding , from what I have seen if you have a decient barrel and the gun was put togehter well you should not have a hard time working up a load to shoot long range.
Their are good bullets out their for just about all the common caliber that are suitable for taking game at extended ranges.

My Tikka T3 hunter in 300 winmag weighs 7lb15oz with a burris FF2 scope and leupold mounts loaded with three rounds.It will put three Nos.165gr BalTips @ 3050 fps in .5 MOA consistently @ 100yds.I put a pachmayr decellerator pad on and now shoot in a tshirt.The point I am making is you can pack a featherweight magnum that shoots great without the magnum recoil.

from what i have read here, and elsewhere on this forum, i have decided to get a rem 700 vs in 308, and top it with a bushnell elite 3200 4-12x40, and probably a harris bipod. i just got paid today so it's just a matter of going to the gun shop and ordering it.
grin.gif
any other suggestions are welcome -thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.