New rifle caliber Help!

I think shooting at game at 1000yds aint considered huntin!!! Shooting at that range takes all the fun and anticipation out of it, getting as close as you can to the animal is the best part of it!

You do realize this is a LONG RANGE HUNTING forum right?
I doubt you'll get much further advise on much of anything with comments like that on here. Not to mention "dumping ammo down the tube" comments. It's obvious from your comments so far that your "green" when it comes to long range. If you truly want to learn how to do it, & do it right, your in the right place. But arrogant comments like those will get you nowhere.

For what its worth, I practice A LOT, just to stay sharp at reading the wind in all conditions. I know my equipment well, & it's capabilities. I also know my personal limitations as a shooter, & practice out past my comfort zone to hone my skill, & better my shooting ability. I'm not an ELR shooter/hunter, tho I may be someday.

I'd caution you to watch what you say, or at least how you phrase your comments if you continue to want any advise.

I think shooting at game at 1000yds aint considered huntin!!! Shooting at that range takes all the fun and anticipation out of it, getting as close as you can to the animal is the best part of it!

Sounds like you might be best served just sticking to your 7mm08. Maybe go try a different site as well.

Relax guys!!! You are misinterpreting what ive been saying. I was not being arrogant or cocky in anyway. I dont mean to offend anyone. I wasnt aware that their is a required ability to shoot at a curtain range to be on this site. What is the range to be allowed on here? I dont understand how me not spending all day shooting at paper disqualifies me to be on this site. Is this not a site where people can come to help gain knowledge to be a better shooter? I was trying to describe my ways of shooting/hunting to give you guys a better understanding to help me the best way possible. The route of the problem you have with me is that i dont reload my own ammo yet. I am confident and proficient up to 500yds w/ my 7mm-08 with factory ammo. Is it not possible to shoot up to 750yds on factory ammo? If it is will a 300 win mag perform in they way i need it to at that range?

It was the "I think shooting at game at 1000 yards ain't considered huntin!" comment that offended people. Broz on this site killed a bull elk at 1250+ with either his 338 Lapua or 300 Win mag ( i cant remember which one or the exact range) with hand loads of course.

There isn't a required ability to be on this site, and shooting at paper all day isn't a waste of time it's this thing called PRACTICE. Broz felt comfortable with that 1250+ shot because he PRACTICES way beyond that range a lot and can shoot 1/2 MOA PAST that distance.

It was the "I think shooting at game at 1000 yards ain't considered huntin!" comment that offended people. Broz on this site killed a bull elk at 1250+ with either his 338 Lapua or 300 Win mag ( i cant remember which one or the exact range) with hand loads of course.

There isn't a required ability to be on this site, and shooting at paper all day isn't a waste of time it's this thing called PRACTICE. Broz felt comfortable with that 1250+ shot because he PRACTICES way beyond that range a lot and can shoot 1/2 MOA PAST that distance.

Nobody is saying practicing is a waste of time. i was just saying after so long at the range shooting your likely to be doing more harm then good.
Yes shooting at long ranges is hunting, however what I consider actually hunting is when their is more to consider then just the gun, the wind, the bullet drop, and yourself. At those ranges you really dont have to worry about the animal, it pretty much just like shooting a paper target. They wont be effected by you really at all, wont smell you, maybe sight but chances are it wont bother them, you dont need noise discipline, no point in camo. Hell you could just drive a wheeler till you see something, get off and shoot it, then get back on and go get it and then your done for the day! I personally like the hunt, the stalk, the every little move counts, the getting into the right spot without letting the animal see, smell, or hear you! I Like getting as close as possible to put the best shot possible on the animal to give it a clean kill. BUT!!!! if i cant get close without spooking the animal i am willing to take a long range shot that im comfortable with. My long range shot is not the same as all the experts on here but im on here to expand my knowledge so i can be as accurate as possible while taking shots even if its not out to y'alls 1000+yds.
I am not trying to offend anyone on here and i mean no disrespect!!! I think its AWESOME that you shoot at these distances and accomplish them!!! I hope to someday be able to do that at a range! but for now ill keep it under the 750 mark.

Riley hit the nail on the head. The majority of the hunting community initially find it incredible that there are people that can hit game at 1000+ yards, and tend to react in a number of different ways. Some are intrigued, some reject it for a variety of reasons, and some jump in full bore. Wether you shoot your game at 10 yards with a long bow, or at a 1000+ yards with precision rifle, the sport of hunting is defined by the individual and the regulations. Each form of hunting presents it's own unique challenges. Suggesting otherwise becomes unpopular very fast!

Great job not being able to handle a little sarcasm!!! Thanks everyone that helped me out and Thanks to the guys that did NOT get so sensitive!!!

Nobody is saying practicing is a waste of time. i was just saying after so long at the range shooting your likely to be doing more harm then good.
Yes shooting at long ranges is hunting, however what I consider actually hunting is when their is more to consider then just the gun, the wind, the bullet drop, and yourself. At those ranges you really dont have to worry about the animal, it pretty much just like shooting a paper target. They wont be effected by you really at all, wont smell you, maybe sight but chances are it wont bother them, you dont need noise discipline, no point in camo. Hell you could just drive a wheeler till you see something, get off and shoot it, then get back on and go get it and then your done for the day! I personally like the hunt, the stalk, the every little move counts, the getting into the right spot without letting the animal see, smell, or hear you! I Like getting as close as possible to put the best shot possible on the animal to give it a clean kill. BUT!!!! if i cant get close without spooking the animal i am willing to take a long range shot that im comfortable with. My long range shot is not the same as all the experts on here but im on here to expand my knowledge so i can be as accurate as possible while taking shots even if its not out to y'alls 1000+yds.
I am not trying to offend anyone on here and i mean no disrespect!!! I think its AWESOME that you shoot at these distances and accomplish them!!! I hope to someday be able to do that at a range! but for now ill keep it under the 750 mark.
That is what most longrange hunters do also, they try to get close but if they can't then if they are capable of a 1k shot on game they can take it. On a recent episode of EOL tv they were hunting antelope and a 800 yards shot presented itself, but they knew they could get closer so they passed on the shot and tried to get closer, when they got to where they wanted to shoot (about 400 yds), the buck disappeared. I felt they did a great job of representing longrange hunters.

Savage,

Now that most everyone has had their say and you have been able to reclarify your statements.

Very very very few rifles/shooters will maintain or even obtain the level of accuracy at 750 yards, with factory ammunition, that is needed to effective and humanely take big game. Let alone a critter that may have a smaller vitals area.

The odds of getting a rifle/shooter and factory ammunition combination to shoot well enough at that distance are pretty slim. But, there are those that can.

The 500 yards, you are correctly proficient, at is on the outer limits of factory ammunition (my opinion). To stretch it out to 750, I personally don't see you or most others (including myself) using factory ammunition and getting it done.

Therefore, reloading will very likely be the next step in pushing your range out to 750 yards.

As far as caliber goes. There is plenty of information to be had about the ballistics of different calibers capable of reaching out to your prescribed distance.

Personally, I get just about as much pleasure from producing my own "precision" ammunition as I do out of shooting it, and filling my tags.

Yes, there are costs involved. But, it is all part of the game.

Nice thing is, you get to make your own choices.

Good luck!

Savage,

Now that most everyone has had their say and you have been able to reclarify your statements.

Very very very few rifles/shooters will maintain or even obtain the level of accuracy at 750 yards, with factory ammunition, that is needed to effective and humanely take big game. Let alone a critter that may have a smaller vitals area.

The odds of getting a rifle/shooter and factory ammunition combination to shoot well enough at that distance are pretty slim. But, there are those that can.

The 500 yards, you are correctly proficient, at is on the outer limits of factory ammunition (my opinion). To stretch it out to 750, I personally don't see you or most others (including myself) using factory ammunition and getting it done.

Therefore, reloading will very likely be the next step in pushing your range out to 750 yards.

As far as caliber goes. There is plenty of information to be had about the ballistics of different calibers capable of reaching out to your prescribed distance.

Personally, I get just about as much pleasure from producing my own "precision" ammunition as I do out of shooting it, and filling my tags.

Yes, there are costs involved. But, it is all part of the game.

Nice thing is, you get to make your own choices.

Good luck!

JackinSD this is the best advise i have gotten!! Thank you!

I wont shoot past 500yds with my 7mm-08 because the bullet drops between 60-70" or somethin like that. Can i get past that with a different caliber rifle or do i need to start reloding first?

I guess what my ultimate question is, if i reload can i make a round that will take down moose, caribou, elk, bear, and sheep at a good distance? or do i need to upgrade to something along the lines of a 300 win mag to cover that range of animals? Im positive my 7mm-08 will do fine with the sheep, caribou, and bear(well black bear anyways), But what about moose and elk?

If I was you, I would settle on a cartridge that would maintain the energy and velocity needed at the distance I hoped to shoot and reload for it. Reloading, as I see it, is a must not a maybe for that distance.

There are others that have suggested the 300 win mag. and they are accomplished shooters at that range and much further. They have the experience, and the knowledge. So, I would not attempt to challenge them.

So, yes on reloading being a must no matter what caliber you eventually decide upon. Realize that not matter what cartridge you go with, they will all drop quite a bit as distance increases. I'm sure you know that.

The right caliber for moose or elk at 750 yards? Beyond my knowledge and expertise.

But, plenty of information from some of the guys that have already responded to this thread.

Do a little searching and you will find the answers. I have learned more on this site than I thought I had left to learn. And as we can see, I have alot to learn yet.

If I was you, I would settle on a cartridge that would maintain the energy and velocity needed at the distance I hoped to shoot and reload for it. Reloading, as I see it, is a must not a maybe for that distance.

There are others that have suggested the 300 win mag. and they are accomplished shooters at that range and much further. They have the experience, and the knowledge. So, I would not attempt to challenge them.

So, yes on reloading being a must no matter what caliber you eventually decide upon. Realize that not matter what cartridge you go with, they will all drop quite a bit as distance increases. I'm sure you know that.

The right caliber for moose or elk at 750 yards? Beyond my knowledge and expertise.

But, plenty of information from some of the guys that have already responded to this thread.

Do a little searching and you will find the answers. I have learned more on this site than I thought I had left to learn. And as we can see, I have alot to learn yet.

Thank You!

So does anyone know the best caliber that will hold its energy and velocity out to 750yds that will perform best on moose and elk?

7MM, 300 and 338 WIN MAGS
7STW, 8MM REM MAG
7MM, 300, 338 ULTRA MAGS
7MM and up WEATHERBY MAGS
338 Lapua
(short list of factory ammo offerings, there are others)

With the right loads, they are ALL capable in terms of ENERGY, to cleanly harvest Elk/Moose at 750 yards. The choice of platform and caliber is in your hands now. There is NO BEST caliber! Just personal preference combined with practice and experience. Good Luck! Just give the animals and your fellow sportsmen enough respect to make yourself proficient before you go off wounding anything.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.