Revolver iron sight ?

My father-in-law shot IMHSA for years with a variety of pistols including now mine (his first). S&W model 29 with a 61/2bbl, factory white outline and front red ramp. 40 yeasts ago I shot it regularly out to 200. I don't just my eyes past 100 with the short focal length. He moved quickly to a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag 71/2bbl to handle the beaver loads better. Then moved to T/C single shots and finally to Remington XP 100. The T/C and XP 100 all wear IMHSA specific sights and are excellent. I would check there for information but you may not want the possible gun mods.

I shot some handgun silhouette in Bend at their COSSA range. I shot it with my stock 4" 686 and Glock 23. The main thing about using iron sights is the ability to clearly see the front sight. I preferred blacken sights and used "Sight Black" or an old coal miner's carbide lamp to blacken my front sight. I also preferred serrations on my front sight which helped me be able to focus my eyes on the front sight. That's a trick I learned when shooting PPC.

I shot IHMSA silhouette for many years. The best revolver sights were on Dan Wessons. You can interchange the front sight. I personally liked a undercut front sight .080 wide. I would have to measure the notch width. I believe your Smith has a .100 wide blade. If it's pinned put a pateridge type front and a Bo-Mar rear and it should get you there. My 41 has a .10 or .12 front blade and when my eyes were young it would shoot 5 shot groups from the creedmoor position that you could cover with your hand.

They are very different than iron sights and require a lot of practice. If you aren't ready to put that in, forget them. I used them for years on my race gun, so am very comfortable having one on my carry gun, but the learning curve is very real. I find them a lot faster because there's nothing to line up, but that was after a lot of practice.

I've shot to 200 with factory irons quite a bit. Get a decent load first, then learn your holdover. The front sight needs to stay sharp all the time of course to make it work, but if you make 100 dead in, the turkeys at 150 should just be a shade of holdover, and the rams won't be much more than the red on your front blade, probably less.
Your post makes me want to re-work the loads on a couple of my revolvers. I'm not sure I have a load right now that would consistently hit well at 200. I've been using my Savage Striker out there and relegating the revolvers to 100 or under.

I have a question about revolver iron sights. I would like to be able to hit steel out to around 200 yards somewhat consistently with iron sighted revolver. Is there a "better" sight setup that would make that easier? Seems to me the rear sight on mine the gap is quite a bit wider than the front. And I would think having a narrower front would help as well. Or do I need to suck it up and learn to shoot what I have better? Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you. View attachment 551823View attachment 551824

This is what the DW sight looks like.

Attachments

• 20240309_075637.jpg
    20240309_075637.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 9
This is the sight you want for your Smith. I would file mine down until I was on chickens at 50M at about 4 clicks up. That would give me all the elevation I needed and give me a positive zero.

I'm going to lean on how well you see. When I was much younger hitting paper plate sized targets at a 100 yards was not that difficult. We found out that if your sighted it at fifteen yards you would be on at 100. The problems arise at two hundred when the paper plate, sporting clay targets become very,very small. Then, your front sight covers everything. You have to use hash marks on the rear sight and post up, or elevation adjustments on the rear. One more thing. Get a 22LR revolver, or semi auto. The trajectories are not different. Practice with the 22

Last edited:
I have a question about revolver iron sights. I would like to be able to hit steel out to around 200 yards somewhat consistently with iron sighted revolver. Is there a "better" sight setup that would make that easier? Seems to me the rear sight on mine the gap is quite a bit wider than the front. And I would think having a narrower front would help as well. Or do I need to suck it up and learn to shoot what I have better? Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you. View attachment 551823View attachment 551824

Good sights are key, but practice, practice, practice really makes the difference. Check this video of legendary Bob Munden shooting a revolver at 200 yards first with a 444 Mag and then a 38 Special snub nose!