Reticle ??

rockslut

Im looking to have the reticle in my leupold changed I have the fine duplex now. This last year sence i put the scope on ive run into problems wile hunting in low light. I can see fine through the scope but the cross hairs are so faint i had to pass on shots. The fine cross hair work real good of the bench at 9am but this isnt a bench gun its a hunting gun.
Sorry for the long intro. My question is, is there a reticle i can have instaled in my scope (6.5x20x40 VXIII) that has windage dots or slashes and NO eleivation dots. Because like many of you i dial for eleivation. But i dont care for the clutter of a mill dot or boone crocket. Any one have any answers for me. Thanks, Mike

Leupold

BH and RS,
I would be intrested to hear what Leupold tells you. When I orderd my scope from the custom shop you can only choose form thier recitles. Nothin custom enless you are going with their custom bullet drop recticel. Where they put dots at your desired yardage for a specific bullet and chronograph info.

I wanted something like the Nightforce NPRR-1 with the MOA dots and they told me no way. Actually they had no idea what recticles nightforce offered!

I shoot reqularly with a guy from leupold at the gun range. He has been bring out different employees to shoot at 600yrd F-class. I can ask him if he could help out if you had a suggestion on what you are looking for. He has really been talking up the new Darrel Holland recticle.

Just thought I would throw that out. Give them a call and see what they say, Please post their reply.

Reticle's

What about asking Leupold to install a lighted
retical ocular lens . That way you keep your fine
retical for long range shooting and a lighted retical
for poor light.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM

I will let you guys know what they say. thats another good ? for them
J E Costom ill see what they say. Thanks again for the help, Mike

Leupold TMR

Have you considered the Leupold TMR reticle? It is a Mil-Dot reticle with hash marks horizontally and vertically (I know you were trying to avoid the vertical lines). Mil-Dots can help you with ranging your target or calculating distance to it if you know how to use it. Works well as a back-up system to a laser range-finder. However, the fine lines on the reticle may be hard to see in the field. I think the regular Mil-Dot reticle has thicker lines and the mil-dot markings are actually circles (fatter) in stead of hash marks. Just a few ideas.

johngfoster, thanks for the help. But like you said im looking for a clean elevation line. I cant believe that some of the scope manufactures havent thought of this before. It seems like there is a ton of people dialing there elev now. I emailed leupold about 1 month ago. They got back to me and said they didnt offer anyting like it and didnt know any one who did. Ill try the person to person today when i call them and see if i cant pick there brain a bit.

The way I see it, you can buy a S&B and have Premier make you a custom reticle...or just learn to live with elevation marks being there on any reticle with windage marks. You don't have to use them.

I liked the VHR for use that way on the range but found it hard to see in low light/thick cover so I don't think it would make you happy. The B&C doesn't have any more windage on the main than a standard duplex. Leupold's TMR is nice, but it might be a bit thin for you. If you search, I think somebody posted pics here a while ago of the 6.5-20 TMR so you can see how you'd like that.

If I were you and wanted to stick with that scope, I might be inclined to inquire with Holland about putting an ART in it in the FFP. Specifically ask about low light though, I don't know what the exact thicknesses on it are but it looks thicker than the SFP version and if it stays black better it might be really good in low light. And you could use your windage marks at any power (or holdovers if you ever change your mind). Just an idea.

thanks. Jon A lots of good stuff there. When it comes down to it I love the scope and how it functions. But i dont have a ton of money to through at it. So i will have to live with it. I was just fishing around for a fix that maybe i havent came across. Thanks again for all the help

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.