Replacement for Retumbo - 28 Nosler

Longprong

If your wallet can stand it and you can get your hands on it, use Vit 20N29. incredibly stable SD and ES across a wide range of temps and very little cold shot to hotshot deviation. It is also very very clean and peak temp is lower than most so barrels last well.

You will be able to get a perfectly filled case with no airgap and that reduces variations even more.

Good luck!

Kiwi,

Does it only come in 8lb containers? I've searched everywhere and do not see mention of 1lb at all.

I had an 'experience' today doing similar load work up for my custom 28 Nosler (BAT action, Krieger, Jewell, McMillan). Tried RL33 and was not satisfied with the groups, plus RL33 is on the dirty side, so I decided to try Retumbo. Last week, shot good groups starting at 77 up to 79.5 with 78.5 being the tightest. Opened a new pound of Retumbo today, loaded 78 and 78.5 to verify loads. Ater shooting the 78's went to 78.5's and after 3rd shot, the bolt stuck. There were extractor marks on the spent cases so clearly pressure spiked on the loads with the new Retumbo powder. After review of Retumbo from the web, there are other reports of differences in pressure/velocities from lot to lot of Retumbo. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or am i just lucky. Also, any help appreciated on getting bolt unstuck. I'm looking for N570 load recommendations for my 28 Nosler with 195 Bergers.
[/QUOTE]
Can you work bolt handle to open it? If so, do that and use cleaning rod to gently "tap" bolt back and out. Call the Berger tech support and they'll give ya a starting load.

i am going to start working up loads for my custom 28 Nosler and was planning on using Retumbo. Since there appears to be a Retumbo shortage, what would you guys recommend as a replacement powder. Here's some info about my gun / load:

Rem 700 with a 26" Benchmark 1-8.5
KRG Stock with 300 RUM Mags
Bertram Brass
175 ELDX

I will be Elk hunting at 4000 - 7000 ft

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
My first suggestion would be to ditch the ELDX. It will not hold together. The Nosler Accubond or ABLR my not have quite as good BC but they are much tougher bullets. Just what you want for elk. Others would be North Fork, Barnes, Swift. Re 26 or 33 would both be good powders.

Can you work bolt handle to open it? If so, do that and use cleaning rod to gently "tap" bolt back and out. Call the Berger tech support and they'll give ya a starting load.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I just looked 7828 up and it says it's discontinued. Better go buy some up before it's gone.
Oh for crying out loud I hope that's not true!!!!!
I want to try so many combos and newer powders still but it's not nearly as carefree if the tried and proven powders that I know will work should the new ones not work out aren't there as a safety net anymore.

My first suggestion would be to ditch the ELDX. It will not hold together. The Nosler Accubond or ABLR my not have quite as good BC but they are much tougher bullets. Just what you want for elk. Others would be North Fork, Barnes, Swift. Re 26 or 33 would both be good powders.

I've never had an issue with ELDX on Elk or otherwise. I have had issues with Berger VLD Hunting bullets though. Mainly on smaller animals like Antelope. They like to poke small holes without expanding.

Oh for crying out loud I hope that's not true!!!!!
I want to try so many combos and newer powders still but it's not nearly as carefree if the tried and proven powders that I know will work should the new ones not work out aren't there as a safety net anymore.

I'm pretty sure 7828 has been discontinued, but 7828 SSC is still being produced.

Just looked around, powder valley says something about impending discontinuation, midway USA says discontinued. I'm in Canada so those sites are off limits for me anyway, the Canadian reloading sites don't say anything yet but that's not surprising, they probably don't go through their inventory nearly as fast once they have it. I emailed Hodgdon (owns IMR) directly just now to see straight from the source what the story is. I voiced my concern about it, I told them I hoped I heard wrong as to my mind 7828 is THE original magnum rifle powder and the standard against which other slow burning overbore rifle powders are measured. I'll let you all know as soon as I hear something from Hodgdon.

That would suck if 7828 in no more as thatnis my go to in my Sako 7mm RUM.
Be great to hear what Hog. Has to say.

i am going to start working up loads for my custom 28 Nosler and was planning on using Retumbo. Since there appears to be a Retumbo shortage, what would you guys recommend as a replacement powder. Here's some info about my gun / load:

Rem 700 with a 26" Benchmark 1-8.5
KRG Stock with 300 RUM Mags
Bertram Brass
175 ELDX

I will be Elk hunting at 4000 - 7000 ft

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I moved into IMR 8133 last year from Retumbo for a 7RM. Performance is slightly better with the load I worked up with a little better velocity but more importantly my E.S. and S.D. have tightened up. Also think it burns cleaner. For all intensive purposes, it seems very close to Retumbo in burn rate so this would be my first choice. I'm a fan of the more temp stable powders for hunting purposes, so I would look to find what's available in the IMR 8133, RL 23, and RL 26. Thinking those will suit your needs in a 28 Nosler. Happy hunting.

Just took another look at hodgdons load data for the 28 nosler. With the heavies it shows best performance with US869 and with charge weights that should fill the case sufficiently to avoid any of the issues sometimes seen with ball powder. Another vote for imr 8133 as well.

I moved into IMR 8133 last year from Retumbo for a 7RM. Performance is slightly better with the load I worked up with a little better velocity but more importantly my E.S. and S.D. have tightened up. Also think it burns cleaner. For all intensive purposes, it seems very close to Retumbo in burn rate so this would be my first choice. I'm a fan of the more temp stable powders for hunting purposes, so I would look to find what's available in the IMR 8133, RL 23, and RL 26. Thinking those will suit your needs in a 28 Nosler. Happy hunting.

Has 8133 been temp stable for you as well? Not that I'll be hunting extremes, but probably 30F - 80F.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.