Replacement for Retumbo - 28 Nosler

I havent had good success with IMR 8133 in my 300 rum yet. RL33 has been decent . H1000 good. RL26 and N570 I have now but not tried yet. N565 and N560 should be good. I still have 5 pds.of Retumbo. I've used and liked it for years.

If my opinion is of any consequence then I will keep someone from wearing their bolt in their face. Vita Vouri Powders are cold weather only powders. they are extremely reactive to heat. if you are shooting in heat, test out in similar heat with N560 or N570. if you test in cold then shoot in heat Vita Vouri powders are the polar opposite to Hodgdon's extreme powders. Vita Vouri powders are volatile when you add ambient summer/ early autumn heat. My suggestions are: IMR-8133, AA8700, H-50BMG, and H-US869. emphasis on the Hodgdon's powders. AA8700 is one hell of a great magnum powder. I used it on my friends' 7 MM STW, 257 STW, and 6MM Sako Mag, and various Weatherby mags. for those big cases with tiny holes.. I swear by it. the Two Hodgdon's powders work equally as well in the cartridges I stated above. still with good results. the IMR 8133 is the only powder I have not tried but a few friends swear by it in certain rifles they shoot.
AA8700 was a great powder. It's been discontinued and I can not find any reloading manuals that still list it.

i am going to start working up loads for my custom 28 Nosler and was planning on using Retumbo. Since there appears to be a Retumbo shortage, what would you guys recommend as a replacement powder. Here's some info about my gun / load:

Rem 700 with a 26" Benchmark 1-8.5
KRG Stock with 300 RUM Mags
Bertram Brass
175 ELDX

I will be Elk hunting at 4000 - 7000 ft

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LOOKY :D
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/28-nosler/

i am going to start working up loads for my custom 28 Nosler and was planning on using Retumbo. Since there appears to be a Retumbo shortage, what would you guys recommend as a replacement powder. Here's some info about my gun / load:

Bertram Brass
175 ELDX

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I used H1000 w/great success loading a 28 nosler with 160 Accubonds for what it is worth

I have also had good results with 7828 in 7mm RUM.
Just wondering if I should look for a more temp stable powder.

Been using NV570 in mine with the 195 Berger, shoots great with good velocity and isn't as dirty as RE-33. Temp stability isn't too bad on it. Shot h1000 with 180 Berger's but never the 195s.

If my opinion is of any consequence then I will keep someone from wearing their bolt in their face. Vita Vouri Powders are cold weather only powders. they are extremely reactive to heat. if you are shooting in heat, test out in similar heat with N560 or N570. if you test in cold then shoot in heat Vita Vouri powders are the polar opposite to Hodgdon's extreme powders. Vita Vouri powders are volatile when you add ambient summer/ early autumn heat. .

Lots and lots of data and customer accounts that says otherwise......US Military is also buying up most of the N570 produced for a number of reasons, but one being temp stability.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/vit-n570-and-560-temp-sensitive.141027/

Jack Monkey.. my Favorite AA powder 3100 has also been discontinued. I can not find H-50BMG instock anywhere. I found US 869 in stock a few places.

50BMG is readily available here. All the other recommended powders are out of stock. The only thing I can find is one 8lb jug of H-1000. Pretty steep purchase when I don't even know if my gun will like it.

The more I look at IMR 8133 the better it looks. I may try it out, especially if H1000 ends up being out of stock tomorrow.
I'm running 8133 in 2 different 28's, having pretty good luck with it with the 195's. I started @ 73gr and worked up. Running 78.7 currently and getting 3035 in one gun, haven't chronod other one yet. Just getting done with break in.

Longprong

If your wallet can stand it and you can get your hands on it, use Vit 20N29. incredibly stable SD and ES across a wide range of temps and very little cold shot to hotshot deviation. It is also very very clean and peak temp is lower than most so barrels last well.

You will be able to get a perfectly filled case with no airgap and that reduces variations even more.

Good luck!

Bertram Brass
175 ELDX

I had an 'experience' today doing similar load work up for my custom 28 Nosler (BAT action, Krieger, Jewell, McMillan). Tried RL33 and was not satisfied with the groups, plus RL33 is on the dirty side, so I decided to try Retumbo. Last week, shot good groups starting at 77 up to 79.5 with 78.5 being the tightest. Opened a new pound of Retumbo today, loaded 78 and 78.5 to verify loads. Ater shooting the 78's went to 78.5's and after 3rd shot, the bolt stuck. There were extractor marks on the spent cases so clearly pressure spiked on the loads with the new Retumbo powder. After review of Retumbo from the web, there are other reports of differences in pressure/velocities from lot to lot of Retumbo. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or am i just lucky. Also, any help appreciated on getting bolt unstuck. I'm looking for N570 load recommendations for my 28 Nosler with 195 Bergers.

During several summer range sessions, I had some pressure spikes with retumbo in my 7rm. Didn't like that. Went to H1000 to find a load I could shoot all year. Haven't had any problems since
I'm in N Tx and it's a hot mofo in the summer. Maybe the heat wouldn't affect you, in cooler climate.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts