Replacement for Retumbo - 28 Nosler

As a direct replacement for Retumbo, my vote would be RL 33, but if you want one even better, I'd go with the guy who has done "extensive testing" and finds N570 to be superior. If you're going to go that slow, you may as well try US869 and stuff the case to see what you get.

I really new at this but I was running Retumbo for my 6.5 x 284 and not getting the results that I wanted. At a suggestion I tried Norma 217 which is temp stable and burns really close to retumbo, i started with 57 grns and my groups came in and it was consistent at 3115 fps. Wondering if anybody has tried this powder much?

I appreciate the advice. I was originally having an issue finding H1000 which is why I was planning to use Retumbo. That was a few months back. So now that I can get H1000 I will probably start there.

Has anyone tried H50BMG in the 28N? That powder is never out of stock.
Yesterday Bruno's Shooters Supply had 1 and 8 lb H1000.

I

I was, and am, a Retumbo fan and during the time it became hard to find I tried some IMR 7828 and was pleasantly surprised. I was able to work up a load that shot every bit as fast and accurately as Retumbo. That was in my custom .300 Win. Mag but I'm guessing you'd have good results with the Nosler as well. My number one elk hunting Bro swears by 7828 in his .300 RUM. I've seen him shoot literal bug hole groups with that rifle on the range and one shot drops on elk to 750. As stated by other folks, you can't go wrong with H 1000 either but I've seen 7828 on the shelves lately in 1 and 8 lb. cans.

I just looked 7828 up and it says it's discontinued. Better go buy some up before it's gone.

I love h1000, it has given me the lowest SD and groups of any other powder. Noslert it's not the best for 28 Nosler because you reached high pressure too soon and don't achieve the velocities that the 28 Nosler is capable of. I use 87 grains a reloader 33 and get tight groups, less than 1/2 inch at hundred yards with velocities in the 3180 range out of a 26-inch Barrel with 175 grain Hornady ELD X bullets. I have some IMR 8133 but have not tried it in my 28 Nosler. I did use it in a 30 28 Nosler with some success. I also tried retumbo in my 28 Nosler but a trouble finding the accuracy node. I found it easily with the rl33. In my opinion the 28 Nosler is the perfect cartridge for hunting in the west. Highly accurate, high velocity and shoots a heavy bullet to take down big game. I just can't say enough about it

If my opinion is of any consequence then I will keep someone from wearing their bolt in their face. Vita Vouri Powders are cold weather only powders. they are extremely reactive to heat. if you are shooting in heat, test out in similar heat with N560 or N570. if you test in cold then shoot in heat Vita Vouri powders are the polar opposite to Hodgdon's extreme powders. Vita Vouri powders are volatile when you add ambient summer/ early autumn heat. My suggestions are: IMR-8133, AA8700, H-50BMG, and H-US869. emphasis on the Hodgdon's powders. AA8700 is one hell of a great magnum powder. I used it on my friends' 7 MM STW, 257 STW, and 6MM Sako Mag, and various Weatherby mags. for those big cases with tiny holes.. I swear by it. the Two Hodgdon's powders work equally as well in the cartridges I stated above. still with good results. the IMR 8133 is the only powder I have not tried but a few friends swear by it in certain rifles they shoot.

If my opinion is of any consequence then I will keep someone from wearing their bolt in their face. Vita Vouri Powders are cold weather only powders. they are extremely reactive to heat. if you are shooting in heat, test out in similar heat with N560 or N570. if you test in cold then shoot in heat Vita Vouri powders are the polar opposite to Hodgdon's extreme powders. Vita Vouri powders are volatile when you add ambient summer/ early autumn heat. My suggestions are: IMR-8133, AA8700, H-50BMG, and H-US869. emphasis on the Hodgdon's powders. AA8700 is one hell of a great magnum powder. I used it on my friends' 7 MM STW, 257 STW, and 6MM Sako Mag, and various Weatherby mags. for those big cases with tiny holes.. I swear by it. the Two Hodgdon's powders work equally as well in the cartridges I stated above. still with good results. the IMR 8133 is the only powder I have not tried but a few friends swear by it in certain rifles they shoot.

AA8700 has also been discontinued.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.