Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Buy

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Lovellr653

Hey All,

Looking for input by folks more experienced than I. I'm working on assembling my first bolt gun, I've got a pre-fit Carbon6 barrel coming in soon and naturally I need to check headspace once it's spun into my Terminus action. I'm wondering if its worth buying a set of 300PRC go, no-go gauges or if renting from 4D or other vendor makes more sense? Poll above, let me know what you think is best based on your experiences.

Thanks

Hey All,

Looking for input by folks more experienced than I. I'm working on assembling my first bolt gun, I've got a pre-fit Carbon6 barrel coming in soon and naturally I need to check headspace once it's spun into my Terminus action. I'm wondering if its worth buying a set of 300PRC go, no-go gauges or if renting from 4D or other vendor makes more sense? Poll above, let me know what you think is best based on your experiences.

Thanks
Buy. Considering what you have in the barrel and action it's a minimal expenditure.

Really it's up to how you'll use it. If you plan on never taking the barrel off then renting is fine. My thinking is if you really like the cartridge and you'll end up with another barrel then you'll need the gauges. Or if you plan on swapping with other barrels from time to time then again you'll need the gauges.

Really it's up to how you'll use it. If you plan on never taking the barrel off then renting is fine. My thinking is if you really like the cartridge and you'll end up with another barrel then you'll need the gauges. Or if you plan on swapping with other barrels from time to time then again you'll need the gauges.
^ This.
One-time use, rent.
More than once, buy.

But, you could always ask around and see if someone has one you can borrow. It is a fairly common chambering now, and if you have a decent circle.of shooting buddies, I bet you can find one to borrow from a friend of a friend.

I will measure 10 NEW cases minimum with an oversize ogive gauge over the case neck. You will get an idea of the short headspace cases and the long headspace cases with the spread in between.

With these numbers AND cases in hand, headspace your barrel. You can use the short cases and slightly bump the shoulders back on the long ones, or use a long headspace case if it does not create too much excessive headspace on the short cases. I do not like case stretch.

I do not allow no go gauges on my property, this eliminates the possibility of your picking up the wrong gauge to set headspace with....this does happen. Two pieces of scotch tape on the back of a go gauge equals a no go gauge.

One reason that I like using the cases is that I have received a Go gauge that was out of spec and shipped directly from the reamer company, Does anyone care to guess which one?

I always buy, so many of them can be used across a few cartridges it just makes sense to buy them. '06 cases just need one set, belted cases, the same deal.
Now that the PRC case is getting necked up and down, the same deal applies.

Cheers.

I always buy, so many of them can be used across a few cartridges it just makes sense to buy them. '06 cases just need one set, belted cases, the same deal.
Now that the PRC case is getting necked up and down, the same deal applies.

Cheers.
Yeah, it's making sense now to just buy the dang things. Just ordered a set of Mansons.