Remington varmint 308 questions....

WEATHERBY460

How far can the 308 be shot accurately?

Which bullet weight is good for this gun?

I just purchased a rem 700 varmint 308.....i plan to put a egw 20moa base on it...but not sure about which stock. I want something not expensive, but not cheap either....any recommendations?

Also....how far down can the pro-x trigger be adjusted?

Thanks

I have a sps varmit in 308 and I put a B&C medelist stock on it. With a 12" twist it doesnt do real well with heavy bullets. My pet load is with a 155 a-max also shoots 168 very well. I am going to try some 175 grain bullets when I can find some. As for acurate range, my longest yote kill so far is 703 yards. The trigger that came on mine would only adjust down to 4 lb, I put a jewle triger on it.

The 308 can be shot accurately to as far as the bullets are supersonic. Don't be afraid of the 12 twist and heavier pills. The 12x will digest 190 and 200 grainers just fine. I'm using 208s in one of my 308s which has a 12x barrel. Not optimum but it's working. The 190VLD at 2650 FPS will stay supersonic to past 1300 yards in standard air. Add altitude and temperature, she'll go even further. 2650 FPS is it hard to get with 190s in a 308. Even with a 24" barrel.

How far can the 308 be shot accurately?

Which bullet weight is good for this gun?

I just purchased a rem 700 varmint 308.....i plan to put a egw 20moa base on it...but not sure about which stock. I want something not expensive, but not cheap either....any recommendations?

Also....how far down can the pro-x trigger be adjusted?

Thanks

.308's can reach 1,000-1,500 meters accurately with the right gunny behind the trigger.

Depends on the rifling twist in the barrel as to which bullet it will prefer. Most people shoot 168's, 175's, 190's, and 210's. I shoot 168, 175, & 210gr bullets out of mine. It has an 11.25" twist.

The EGW HD aluminum 20MOA base is excellent. They are the only 1-piece bases I'll use. You should also look into the TPS TSR HD aluminum rings, too. They are cheap and strong as an ox, and very precise equipment.

As for stocks...HS Precision, Bell & Carlson, & McMillan are all good options.

Regarding the X-Mark Pro trigger....Do yourself a favor and throw it in the garbage. Buy a Jewell or Jard. I absolutely HATE the X-Mark trigger in my 700 5R MilSpec. And as soon as I get the cash I will be changing it out with a Jewell.

I shoot the 210gr Berger VLD's out of my .308 and it really loves them. My load I'm using is right at 2,400 fps, so it should be a 1,000 yard load with all that extra weight and BC in that bullet. But I have yet to test it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.