Varmint rifle revue and questions

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
Hi all
I just found a nice revue on Varmint rifles and wanted to share it. But now I'd like to know if any body can give me some feedback on two rifles, one that was revued and two that weren't.
http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/aug96varmintguns.html

"Remington, Tikka, and Sako"

I'm a big fan of Tikka, Sako, but really liked the Remington Model 700™ VLS.

Comments please

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Inukshuk,
I have a VLS in 243, although i swapped it into a PSS stock, this was offered as a £50 upgrade by my dealer when i purchased it, and was a cheaper option then pillar bedding. After having a trigger job i can honestly say that it is a superb rifle of good quality and finnish,in fact slightly better then my Win. Mod 70. With 70grn MKS it groups into 1/2" @100yrds all the time,if i do my bit. BUT and this is a big BUT, it is not a Sako which are far superior. Here in the UK the price of heavy barrelled Remingtons and Winchesters is edging very close to that of Sako's, bearing in mind we pay nearly twice as much for US sourced rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif A Sako model 75 stainless laminated Varmint in 22-250 is on my shopping list for this year and i cant wait to get my hands on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Centre Punch

I already have a Tikka Hunter 30-06 Love it, and now am interested in a Varmint rifle if possible 308. What I liked about the Remington Model 700™ VLS is it has a 26" barrel compared to Tikka and Sako's 23 3/8" barrel. I know the longer the barrel the more precise it will be it helps anyways. The other thing is the price.
Suggested prices in US currency:
Remington 700™ VLS $725.00
Sako 75 Varmint SS Laminated $1,630.00
Sako 75 Varmint $1,480.00
Tikka T3 Varmint $765.00
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless Steel $825.00

so with this I see two choices "Remington 700™ VLS or Tikka T3 Varmint" but I would like to change the Tikka stock for a laminated one. Do you know if that's possible. Then there is the question that the 700™ VLS is 2.5" longer.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Inukshuk,
Good points, the price gap is substantial, here its not so bad.

VLS...£629
VSSF..£860
Sako 75 varmint...£950
Sako 75 varmint stainless...£1090

I have not mentioned the Tikka T3s because here in England they are not that desirable,being regarded as a made to budget cheap version of the old model Tikka's which were superb. One of my buddies has a Tikka Continental heavy barrel in 30-06 which prints sub 1/2" inch at 100yds. I dont know if that model was available in your part of the world, we can still get them new over here and if you could find one in 308 i would snap it up straight away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I personnelly would buy the VLS over the Tikka T3, like you said you've got a 26" barrel and you more or less said you like laminated stocks, also the VLS is much easier to accurise if you wanted it. Take a look at Remingtons web site and have a look at "whats new for 2005" i particularilly like the VSSF II /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you did decide to go for the Tikka i dont see why you could not get it fitted into the stock from a laminated stainless, although you would lose the wide varmint forend. Alternatively you could have it custom bedded into an aftermarket laminated stock, but this could be expensive.
To me the VLS looks like the best bet. I hope this has helped you in making up your mind and steered you in the right direction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Centre Punch.

Centre Punch,

With the PSS stock, is that .243 now free floated? I have the same .243 VLS and was considering a new stock. Also considering removing the pressure point. Seems the best i can do is .73 on day and 1.4 the next. Just a little nervous about removing the pressure point, some have said it is ther for a reason????

Centre Punch
I've had my Tikka model M658 for 15 years and it's awsome Love it. I don't know how it would compare to the new ones though. I'm about to try a new cartridge the Remington Premier® AccuTip PRA3006B-165gr.
I've been talking with others on other threads and forums and from what it seams for the distance I'm hunting at I'd be better continuing with my Tikka since it would handle the distance better than the VLS 308,for a clean kill, but I'd still love to have it. Who know's. I'll see how it goes after I get my new scope and cartridges.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Groundhoghunter,
Yes, the barrel is now freefloated, although it did not sit quite central in the barrel channel. I had my gunsmith shave some material of the left side of the channel, while he had the action out for a trigger job. It seemed that as it was tightened into the bedding block it pulled over to the left a bit, but this did not affect accuracy. It now looks much nicer.(the rifle the stock came off was the same).

Using 70grn MKS over 34grns of H322 in Lapua cases my best group to date is .364" at 100yrds from the bench, when i concentrate it will shoot into 1/2" all day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. It is equally as accurate using 90grn Lapua Scenars and 40grns of H4350. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.