Remington UML whos shooting anything other than sabots ?

Here's how head spacing works.
The bolt pushes the brass case to the nipple on the breech plug. Nothing else with the case matters, especially the length, which has nothing to do with anything. Perfect head space would be a tight brass case to the nipple and you would feel it closing the bolt.

If the breech plug is head spaced to a maximum thickness case, than any case head thinner than maximum will leak gas. If the head space is set to the minimum thickness brass head, then any brass case with a thicker case won't allow you to close the bolt.

Ultimate_muzzle_block.jpg

Brass cases side by side. Remington brass on the left, UF Starline brass on the right.

NOTICE THE REMINGTON CASE ON TOP???? Notice how off center the primer flash hole is???

102_4792a.jpg

I've shot many thousands of rounds through these rifles. I'm friends with the inventor of the system.
If someone wants a rifle that will shoot long range if needed, but only gets it out just prior to the season to verify its "still on" and then hunts, they are great for that. Really a no brainer rifle.
However, they have flaws and those flaws could very well ruin your hunting season. I'd hate like heck to have a hunt planned in another state, then have a breech plug to replace and not be able to find one.
THAT, is why I recommend to any RUM or UF owner, replace the OEM ignition system with the Arrowhead system and be done with it.

@Tim Sharp

can you provide a direct link to the breech plug Hankins supplies for the Remington 700 UML?

I looked thru his site and didn't see one specifically for that ML.
I found this on Hankins web page. I hope this helps. I have emailed Hanksprecision for other matters and they have been responsive. May want to msg them and see if the can help or send you in the best direction.

I found this on Hankins web page. I hope this helps. I have emailed Hanksprecision for other matters and they have been responsive. May want to msg them and see if the can help or send you in the best direction.

Thanks!

Not sure why I didn't see that a minute ago. I remember seeing that prior ordering my Arrowhead replacement plug.

The absolute last thing I want is that direct ignition system in a bolt action rifle. There are a lot of negatives with that system for hunting.
To load the rifle, remove the bolt from the action (don't lose it, drop it from a tree stand, etc.) Find your extended length nut driver which I hope you have with you or you're totally screwed, run that into the action and set there and unscrew that DIS. Once you get the DIS out, don't drop that either, you have to screw in a primed DIS. Then with a LIVE PRIMER DIS in the rifle, you load your propellant and bullet. Now find that bolt and reinstall it into the action. Let's not forget that bolt release that will be a PITA, so you'll likely have to remove that.

Imagine yourself needing a second shot on an animal? How about that second shot being from a tree stand 20' up, or laying prone in high grass, standing in a swamp knee deep in water, etc.? Don't drop anything screwing around.
Transport laws require the ignition system, primer, cap, DIS be removed to lawfully transport the rifle. If you remove the DIS where does that propellant go?

Yes I know shooters that use the DIS but, most of them are bench shooters and certainly not competitors in timed events and, they are using smokeless rated barrels with smokeless propellants. And yes, some of them do hunt with the system, but out of custom made box blinds where they can't lose anything.

There is no advantage to using the DIS. There is no advantage in ignition over the modular system, as both are reliable. There is no advantage in velocity using BH209 or any substitutes. Even using smokeless propellants in SMOKELESS RATED BARRELS, there's only a 50fps advantage in velocity.

I know of over 500 owners of the RUM and UF rifles and not a single owner uses the DIS. Those who change out the OEM ignition system ALL have the patented Arrowhead ignition system which works flawless. Load, snap a module into the bolt face and close the action. Flawless. Transport? Just remove the module and no propellant falling out.

DIS has its place and works well for what its designed for. It works easier in break open rifles designed to shoot smokeless with smokeless rated barrels.

Sorry, but having shot many thousands of rounds through these rifles, before I went the DIS route, I'd remain with the OEM system and try to find a spare breech plug. I have nothing against Jeff, as he's a great builder.
Your opinion may differ............