Remington UML Blackhorn 209

MuzzieLo@der

Anyone know why it's taking so long for Western Powders to post official loads for the Remington UML? I just got one but hasn't it been out for at least 3 years or so?

Anyone know why it's taking so long for Western Powders to post official loads for the Remington UML? I just got one but hasn't it been out for at least 3 years or so?

Most likely because Remington isn't putting out the information or approving the propellant in the owner's manual. Remington is still maintaining the use of pellets.

Not according to the RUML owners manual. No where does it say only made for or recommended for pellets. It specifically says T7 granular and Pyrodex granular as well as black powder FFg are designed and recommended.

Last edited:
Not according to the RUML owners manual. No where does it say only made for or recommended for pellets. It specifically says T7 granular and Pyrodex granular as well as black powder FFg are designed and recommended.

https://s19.postimg.org/aciyt64cz/RU_manual_load_page.jpg

Also, even by your own admission, BH209 is not listed. Most all their advertisements show photos of 4 pellets. Will it ignite all the BP substitutes? Yes.

But BH209 has nitro cellulous properties and has been found to gas cut breech plug nipples. Remington has replaced a lot of breech plugs for that reason.

Not sure what to tell you you keep saying only pellets because their advertising pictures have them lol... I think that's called marketing they just want to show and push the 200gr load and showing it with what most people use for simplicity would be pellets. Alot of accurate shooters know that weight charges between what you can get from pellets alot of time end up being more accurate and better suited for their rifles. Maybe they didn't think they had to post every know powder to man in the book as saying black powder FFG covers alot of powders. Western Powders has a article that specificaly list it as safe to use with their posted charges as they test higher charge weight with it. I find it a little funny because when I first bought the gun and did Google searches with BH and the RUML I find no complaints with issues or people ruining breach plugs. What I do find is you on a bunch of forums saying it over and over again but know one else kind of weird? Maybe just not suited for the Johnson rifles they seem to be the only ones listing it as not suitable to bad for the price of them

Last edited:
Not sure what to tell you you keep saying only pellets because their advertising pictures have them lol... I think that's called marketing they just want to show and push the 200gr load and showing it with what most people use for simplicity would be pellets. Alot of accurate shooters know that weight charges between what you can get from pellets alot of time end up being more accurate and better suited for their rifles. Maybe they didn't think they had to post every know powder to man in the book as saying black powder FFG covers alot of powders. Western Powders has a article that specificaly list it as safe to use with their posted charges as they test higher charge weight with it. I find it a little funny because when I first bought the gun and did Google searches with BH and the RUML I find no complaints with issues or people ruining breach plugs. What I do find is you on a bunch of forums saying it over and over again but know one else kind of weird? Maybe just not suited for the Johnson rifles they seem to be the only ones listing it as not suitable to bad for the price of them

Well..... I guess we might as well go tit for tat, to early to head out bow hunting.

If you do enough reading and searching, you'll easily find people that have been replacing breech plugs. Maybe you should pay more attention to that, than miss spelling Johnston as Johnson.
You'll also notice in those other forums, others stating the same identical thing, as far as BH209 not being approved by Remington. You CAN NOT escape the issue of BH not being approved by Remington in the manual. Period.

Western has ALREADY and QUITE SOME TIME AGO, tested the RUM for a maximum BH charge. I have the data :)

So as I mentioned in the previous post. You already answered your own question I guess. 120grs by volume.

Lol really your sinking to Grammer checking all ready nice the "Spell Check police"? How about I refer to it as the "Michigan Ultimate Muzzleloader" that seems to get you fired up.... Sorry threw all my research all I find in a bunch of forums is someone by the name of "Encore" saying Remington had issues with their breach plugs most people like to point out that in like the UM the RUML is easily replaced. Again if you don't believe me or you think Remington has to name every powder know to man for it to be approved call or start a service ticket and ask them like I did....

Lol really your sinking to Grammer checking all ready nice the "Spell Check police"? How about I refer to it as the "Michigan Ultimate Muzzleloader" that seems to get you fired up.... Sorry threw all my research all I find in a bunch of forums is someone by the name of "Encore" saying Remington had issues with their breach plugs most people like to point out that in like the UM the RUML is easily replaced. Again if you don't believe me or you think Remington has to name every powder know to man for it to be approved call or start a service ticket and ask them like I did....

Well you've answered your own question many times. 120grs of BH209.
You need to search more is all I can say. NOTHING is going to change your mind, so shoot all the BH you'd like from your RU rifle. Remington doesn't list it, so it must be approved. Its that simple and you know now its a 120gr charge.
One thing you must notice is, I'm consistent. I also agree and have, that the RU breech plug is replaceable. Please note where I've stated otherwise. I know people who've had to replace them.
I'm pretty sure I know these rifles well, but obviously not quite as well as you. When you finally get it shooting, lets see some targets.

Your definitely consistent I'll be sure to post some targets once shooting. I'm going to start with the Barnes 250 t-ez and switch to the Barnes 300gr originals with orange mmp sabots when they show up to try.

Look up chuck hawk and search Remington UML with blackhorn 209. He goes up to 147 grn by weight. I shoot 135 grn with a 290gn Barnes TMZ.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.