Knight Mountaineer vs Remington UML

My set up is almost the same as Encore but I run a Nikon 3.5-14x40 xr custom dial also. I have mine set for 250 SST running 2750 @ 30 degrees. But that isn't what I shot my 2" group with at 400 yards. That day I shot the group I was shooting a 327 Match Hunter @ 2550 f/s.

Like encore said it has to be perfect for me to shoot a deer that far. This year I shot an antelope and mule deer with my ml. Antelope was a long 51 yards ( charged me) and the mule deer doe was 232 yards. I still have a tag but most of my shots are under 200 yards but I like being prepared. I am shooting smokeless which helps me quite a bit.

Here is my antelope.

Sept 2014 Nebraska 79 & 7/8"

My set up is almost the same as Encore but I run a Nikon 3.5-14x40 xr custom dial also. I have mine set for 250 SST running 2750 @ 30 degrees. But that isn't what I shot my 2" group with at 400 yards. That day I shot the group I was shooting a 327 Match Hunter @ 2550 f/s.

Like encore said it has to be perfect for me to shoot a deer that far. This year I shot an antelope and mule deer with my ml. Antelope was a long 51 yards ( charged me) and the mule deer doe was 232 yards. I still have a tag but most of my shots are under 200 yards but I like being prepared. I am shooting smokeless which helps me quite a bit.

Here is my antelope.

Sept 2014 Nebraska 79 & 7/8"

Nice!

I bought a new .52 Knight Mountaineer late last year and have not yet shot it or even mounted a scope on it, its still in the box untouched. Im wondering if it would be worth it to sell or trade it for a Remingtin UML. Ive had a Knight LRH in .52 and it shot sub moa @ 100yds all day with the knight red hot 350g. hp with 89g. WEIGHED charges of BH209 so I was hoping when I got the new Mountaineer it would hang with my older LRH. But now Im wondering if the Remingtin UML might be a better option, maybe possibly as accurate or more so at longer ranges and a little more energy or flatter trajectory.

Any thoughts?

Ive seen a few videos of the Rem. UML and it seemed to shoot "ok" but nothing overly impressive. I really like the cartridge style priming, B&C stock, rem 700 action, and good trigger but none of those matter by themselves if they dont work great in combination. Im not looking for 500yd performance but I want to be REALLY confident in accuracy and energy out to at keast 300yds and maybe a touch more.

I am really sorry for taking over your thread that wasn't my goal. I tried to delete my post but I can't.

If you are looking for an accurate ml out to 300 yards the rifle I shoot will get you there and farther. There are some people who shoot regular black powder in there conversions but mostly smokeless. It is a Remington 700 ML but it has a 45 cal smokless barrel put on the rifle.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Chad

After the first of the year, I'm going to find out if one of the new Remington Ultimate rifles will shoot, how accurate and accuracy to 300yds. I was asked to and agreed to help a new owner with his new RU rifle.

I am NOT a writer or compensated for anything. Just helping the guy out and hopefully answering many questions. It will be fun and an exceptional learning experience offered to me by the new owner.

I am really sorry for taking over your thread that wasn't my goal. I tried to delete my post but I can't.

If you are looking for an accurate ml out to 300 yards the rifle I shoot will get you there and farther. There are some people who shoot regular black powder in there conversions but mostly smokeless. It is a Remington 700 ML but it has a 45 cal smokless barrel put on the rifle.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Chad

What about cost? I dont have an extra $3000 or more laying around to drop on a gun otherwise I would have just went with a bad bull initially. If it can be done for a reasonable cost then who would be the one to talk to about having one built?

What about cost? I dont have an extra $3000 or more laying around to drop on a gun otherwise I would have just went with a bad bull initially. If it can be done for a reasonable cost then who would be the one to talk to about having one built?

The great thing about my rifle I picked up the donor gun I got at a pawn shop for $250 then I sent it to Luke at arrowhead sporting goods who did the conversion for me. Barrel was $330 hunter bolt nose kit was installed and a different recoil lug. Then a savage breech plug. The total cost with factory stock was $900. Once I added the scope the final project was $1300 total cost.

If your interested in a little less investment you can look at a CVA apex 45/70. I think you can get a rifle for around $550 get the breech plug for $30-$100 bucks (there are two savage plugs I'd recommend the $100 plug longer life). Get it converted for $130. With out scope your still at $800.

There is a lesser option also. CVA stalker you can pick one of those up right now on gun broker for $299 get it converted and total cost around $500-$550.

Check out Doug's message board you'll learn everything you need to know about smokeless conversion. Slufoot will do the break action conversion. I have one of those also and it shoots better than moa @ 200 yards.

The great thing about my rifle I picked up the donor gun I got at a pawn shop for $250 then I sent it to Luke at arrowhead sporting goods who did the conversion for me. Barrel was $330 hunter bolt nose kit was installed and a different recoil lug. Then a savage breech plug. The total cost with factory stock was $900. Once I added the scope the final project was $1300 total cost.

If your interested in a little less investment you can look at a CVA apex 45/70. I think you can get a rifle for around $550 get the breech plug for $30-$100 bucks (there are two savage plugs I'd recommend the $100 plug longer life). Get it converted for $130. With out scope your still at $800.

There is a lesser option also. CVA stalker you can pick one of those up right now on gun broker for $299 get it converted and total cost around $500-$550.

Check out Doug's message board you'll learn everything you need to know about smokeless conversion. Slufoot will do the break action conversion. I have one of those also and it shoots better than moa @ 200 yards.

Ive got a brand new .52 Knight Mountaineer that I can use... but not knowing much about that exact gun or the new Remington is why I made this post wondering if one would be better. I bought the knight late last year before the Remington came out. Ive had a .52 Knight long range hunter before that shot really good, but thought maybe the new Remington might shoot as good or better AND have a better trajectory and more energy down range. Ive shot a truck load of deer in the 2-300yd range with my old knight but so I figured the new one should be as good but just figured before I took the time and spent the money gettjng it dialed in I would ask if anyone had an educated guess which one would be the better of the two. If I can have a smokeless build done that would also shoot great without breaking the bank then thats something I will consider also.

Soo what youre saying is that your gun itself ran $650 plus the gun to convert???

Ive got a brand new .52 Knight Mountaineer that I can use... but not knowing much about that exact gun or the new Remington is why I made this post wondering if one would be better. I bought the knight late last year before the Remington came out. Ive had a .52 Knight long range hunter before that shot really good, but thought maybe the new Remington might shoot as good or better AND have a better trajectory and more energy down range. Ive shot a truck load of deer in the 2-300yd range with my old knight but so I figured the new one should be as good but just figured before I took the time and spent the money gettjng it dialed in I would ask if anyone had an educated guess which one would be the better of the two. If I can have a smokeless build done that would also shoot great without breaking the bank then thats something I will consider also.

Soo what youre saying is that your gun itself ran $650 plus the gun to convert???

Depending on which rifle you get to convert (Remington, CVA Apex, CVA Stalker) depends on final cost. The Remington is the nor expensive way to go. It also depends on which barrel you get to finish the conversion. I got a McGowen for $330 it's the lower end of barrels. You can also get a Pacnor, Krieger, and Brux barrel. Check out Arrowhead Sporting Goods he has a price list on barrels and ask the things you need to build a Remington. He also has the stuff for a break action conversion. Only thing with break action is you send it to Slufoot (Robert) to drill and tap barrel to take breech plug. Remington will cost around $1000 (should be less, high end), CVA Apex should be around $700-$800 total cost, CVA Stalker should be around $500 total cost.

If your looking for a 300-400 yard gun the apex should work however I'd really op for the Remington 700ml if you want to spend a little more money I'd get the Brux or Krieger barrel. Luke at Arrowhead Sporting Goods will be able to give you all the info you need for a Remington or break action build. He's out of town till after the 1st.

Around $650 is a little low for a complete Remington build unless you already have the rifle then it should be close to that.

Many years back when Remington first introduced their 700 muzzleloaded using a #11 cap they didn't group well at all. A friend had a 52 or 54, (bad memory) that shot so poorly that Remington took them all back. I have 3 Knights and with 110 grs of BH 209, 300 Gr Harvester Bullets and good scopes I'm very comfortable with up to 200yds. I'm sure i can strech that some with up to 120 grs of BH209, but they're no fun to shoot. I refuse to take a longer shot than that out of concern for wounding and not being able to find an animal that far out unless it drops in its tracks. Retained enegy really falls off after 200 + yds. as well. Most of the hunters I know that shoot centerfires can't hit much at that trange anyway. I'd opt for the Mountairneer.

Pooldoc what you said about the700ml is all bull

mine shoot very well

Pooldoc what you said about the700ml is all bull

mine shoot very well

I agree. First of all the old Rem 700 ML has nothing to do with the new design and secondly I still have a M700ML that shoots sub MOA with 300 SST, but due to old ignition system/bolt I am looking at converting it to a new custom & hope then it will be as accurate as it is now.

I recently purchased a Rem 700 UML(B&C Stocked) from my local Cabela's with high hopes of seeing the accuracy advertised by Remington. I have shot the rifle approximately 50 times with different Sabots and Powders. This being my first in-line muzzleloader I had high hopes of having a uniquely accurate rifle available to me for out-of-state (PA resident) ventures. I attached a Blackhawk Pic Rail to Leupold MK 4 rings to a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 scope and have only seen 2-2.5", 3 shot groups at 100 yds. On top of this misfortune, the primers in the casings push out and sometime disintegrate. I'm a huge fan of the 700 action and Remington in general, but I think I will be calling support for this rifle. I hope this is an isolated incident.

I recently purchased a Rem 700 UML(B&C Stocked) from my local Cabela's with high hopes of seeing the accuracy advertised by Remington. I have shot the rifle approximately 50 times with different Sabots and Powders. This being my first in-line muzzleloader I had high hopes of having a uniquely accurate rifle available to me for out-of-state (PA resident) ventures. I attached a Blackhawk Pic Rail to Leupold MK 4 rings to a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 scope and have only seen 2-2.5", 3 shot groups at 100 yds. On top of this misfortune, the primers in the casings push out and sometime disintegrate. I'm a huge fan of the 700 action and Remington in general, but I think I will be calling support for this rifle. I hope this is an isolated incident.

Just a couple questions, are you over charging the rifle? What possible reason do you think that the primers are pushing out of the case? Any photos of the cases and destroyed primers?

I was supposed to set one up today, but 40mph winds and blinding snow stopped the owner from traveling today. He'll try again before leaving the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.