Remington UML whos shooting anything other than sabots ?

Ok guys I got a Remington 700 ultimate ML yesterday and immediately found out why people prefer not to shoot them. I research and see a lot of people are doing the arrowhead breech plug upgrade to shoot BH209. What is everyone shooting besides sabots ?
For and alternative to the ASG (Arrowhead Sporting Goods) breech plug and ignition system take a look at Hankins Precisions; additionally, see Pittman bulltets. These guys make some very nice ml equipment and bullets. Hankins makes his own breech plug system in addition to the AGS system. Hankins also makes an adjustable swage to resize bullets to fit the bore of your rifle. (Most often this is done for .45 cal) Pittman and Parker make some bullets for use with sabots.

Pittman bullets

....and the always good Parkers

For and alternative to the ASG (Arrowhead Sporting Goods) breech plug and ignition system take a look at Hankins Precisions; additionally, see Pittman bulltets. These guys make some very nice ml equipment and bullets. Hankins makes his own breech plug system in addition to the AGS system. Hankins also makes an adjustable swage to resize bullets to fit the bore of your rifle. (Most often this is done for .45 cal) Pittman and Parker make some bullets for use with sabots.

Pittman bullets

....and the always good Parkers

I will definitely look into this , thanks for the info

I would suggest you completely forget about powerbelt bullets. Completely.

Here's exactly what you want, FURY BULLETS. https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/223/black-powder-muzzleloader
The Universal Fit bullets are what the majority of RUM and UF shooters are now using. They are accurate and deadly on game.

You will not make a better change to your RUM than switching to the Arrowhead breech plug. https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/

The exact combination shooters of the RUM and UF rifles are using with excellent accuracy is from using BH209, so you need that Arrowhead system. Once you have it, the 320gr Universal Fit Fury bullet and 106grs by weight of BH209. They're shooting bug holes with that combination.

If you are on FB, there are two dedicated sites for Ultimate rifle owners/shooters. You'll find that Remington Ultimate or in Ultimate Rifles and Conversions are monitored for only the RUM or UF and Conversions. There is no arguing or BS. If you have a question someone will answer it correctly or, they will tag someone who will. There are more than enough other sites to discuss other brands/types of muzzleloaders.

Forgot to include so I edited........ I highly recommend you consider an LR Customs T-Rex muzzle brake. I also suggest that if you intend to scope the rifle, you purchase a HIGH QUALITY scope. Recoil can be violent with heavy bullets and a full charge.

I've shot thousands of rounds through UF rifles. Good luck.
Great information! That is why I like this group.

AZShooter..............

I know most will say you don't need a wad and I'm not saying they're not right, but, in the heat you experience in AZ I'd still try one. I'd try both a veggie and wool. Its like they say, its not going to make things worse.
I haven't shot the Universal, but I've shot a lot of ST2's. I used a veggie wad.
Sounds like the next vegan "meat" product. "Veggie wads...it's what's for dinner" (hopefully not my dinner haha)

@Tim Sharp

can you provide a direct link to the breech plug Hankins supplies for the Remington 700 UML?

I looked thru his site and didn't see one specifically for that ML.
If Hankins makes a plug specific to the RUM, its something new. Last I knew he didn't want anything to do with the RUM and substitutes.
The Arrowhead systems for the UF and RUM are flawless.

I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I'll also preface with some context. I hunt in WA, so no scopes allowed on the muskets. I use a peep sight set up. I've been hunting with the UML for 4 years I think, and killed 4 deer with it.

I did quite a bit of experimenting with different bullet and sabot combos, as well as loose and pellet powder. My favorite is a scorpion pt gold in a crush rib sabot over 2 magnum pellets, so 120 gr equivalent. I shoot 8 or 10 without cleaning just fine, and basically feel bad at that point and run a patch down because I came from side locks that need it after 2 shots. I haven't checked to see how many I can load without cleaning, but I'd guess at least 15.

As far as accuracy goes, it holds 1 moa just fine with the peep sights. Hitting clay pigeons at 200 yards is pretty doable, but I try to keep to 150 max on animals. 1 Inch groups at 100 yards is the norm, sometimes less when the stars align.

Just as a reference, I put the above load over a chrono for 3 shots and got 1813 fps and 23 SD. Not too bad for some pellets, I think. I'm generally not happy with my reloads until they're sub 10 SD.

So what I'm saying is, I like shooting mine with sabots just fine and the arrowhead system, although nice, is not the only answer.

I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I'll also preface with some context. I hunt in WA, so no scopes allowed on the muskets. I use a peep sight set up. I've been hunting with the UML for 4 years I think, and killed 4 deer with it.

I did quite a bit of experimenting with different bullet and sabot combos, as well as loose and pellet powder. My favorite is a scorpion pt gold in a crush rib sabot over 2 magnum pellets, so 120 gr equivalent. I shoot 8 or 10 without cleaning just fine, and basically feel bad at that point and run a patch down because I came from side locks that need it after 2 shots. I haven't checked to see how many I can load without cleaning, but I'd guess at least 15.

As far as accuracy goes, it holds 1 moa just fine with the peep sights. Hitting clay pigeons at 200 yards is pretty doable, but I try to keep to 150 max on animals. 1 Inch groups at 100 yards is the norm, sometimes less when the stars align.

Just as a reference, I put the above load over a chrono for 3 shots and got 1813 fps and 23 SD. Not too bad for some pellets, I think. I'm generally not happy with my reloads until they're sub 10 SD.

So what I'm saying is, I like shooting mine with sabots just fine and the arrowhead system, although nice, is not the only answer.
Right on I appreciate it, so you can shoot sabots with having to clean after every shot

Yup. That's part of the reason I tried some different combos out. Some were tighter than others, but the scorpions and crush ribs are a good middle ground.

I agree on the power belts. They're trash. Never had any decent expansion on them. Fairly accurate, but no good for killin.

If what anyone does works for them, then I would encourage them to continue it.

However, the ignition system in both the RUM and UF rifles leave a lot to be desired. Head spacing is always an issue, along with gas cut breech plugs. With Remington being sold off, who knows when, if ever, they may have replacement breech plugs if you gas cut one. Even with a replacement, there's always head spacing issues.

The Remington primer carriers (brass cases) are another MAJOR issue. Primer pocket flash holes can be way off center, plus the head thickness can vary as much as .020". That is the contributing factor to head space issues. It is impossible to have proper head spacing when the case heads vary .020". Although Remington made their breech plugs harder, they still will gas cut. Once gas cut, you're done until you find a replacement. The UF rifles are somewhat better than the RUM. The UF uses 45win mag cases from Starline. Even brass from a top quality manufacturer such as Starline, still varies .005". This again makes proper head space an issue.

There is not much worse than being all hyped up for the season opener and verifying your zero, only to find that your breech plug is gas cut and you're blowing smoke out the action into your face. There goes your season opener, maybe even the entire season if you can't find a replacement.

The Arrowhead system is not the only system that will fire the rifle. However, it is a system that is 100% reliable, works, will not gas cut and won't let you down just prior to an opener. That..... makes the Arrowhead system above all others by a long shot.

Here's a gas cut plug...... toasted.

Gas cut breech plug.jpg