Remington/PT&G Tenon Threads

shortgrass

A word of caution: One of my customers brought a Remington 700 'PT&G Extreme" action to me for custom barrel installation. That's one of their 'new' ones, that they've blue printed. I looked it over, mic checked the minor thread diameter for the barrel tenon, I've got a small mountain of Rem take-off barrels around, so I screwed a few in by hand and decided to call PT&G, because the take-offs felt awful sloppy to me. I was told, "1 1/16" by the gal on the phone. "All we do is clean them up", she added. I believe I'll turn that tenon to 1.072" before I start threading it. 1.062 would be much too sloppy to suit me! CHECK THE THREADS YOURSELF, DON'T TAKE ANYONES WORD!

I would have expected them to be bigger than that. Chad Dixon has done about 1000 of them in the past year and he threads them 1.085".

A word of caution: One of my customers brought a Remington 700 'PT&G Extreme" action to me for custom barrel installation. That's one of their 'new' ones, that they've blue printed. I looked it over, mic checked the minor thread diameter for the barrel tenon, I've got a small mountain of Rem take-off barrels around, so I screwed a few in by hand and decided to call PT&G, because the take-offs felt awful sloppy to me. I was told, "1 1/16" by the gal on the phone. "All we do is clean them up", she added. I believe I'll turn that tenon to 1.072" before I start threading it. 1.062 would be much too sloppy to suit me! CHECK THE THREADS YOURSELF, DON'T TAKE ANYONES WORD!

+1

Its good to know that there are "Real Gunsmiths" that check the fit and function of a build,on this site that will step up and warn us about poor workmanship.

Lots of wana bees don't take the time and assume that If it comes from a well known source
it will be alright. Don't believe it.

Unfortunately I have many horror stories about pre-threaded and chambered barrels and don't/wont use them.

Thanks Shortgrass !!!!!

J E CUSTOM

Edd, Long Rifles has set a "standard" for their shop. Setting "standards" helps them save time and makes their work 'repeatable'. All are done to the same size. Seems to me, if PT&G is going to offer "blue printed" Rem. 700 actions they'd set a "standard" for thread size in their shop, where as all actions that they blue print would be the same size. lightbulb And if you called to ask what size they were cut to you could/would get a firm answer.

I agree they should have a standard and they may have one. Based on my experience with PTG, and I have purchased only a few items from them, you might call back tomorrow and get a different answer.

Random changes to specs are one of the things PTG has been excelling at for the past couple years, personally would not trust them any farther than I could throw it!

Well, I figured the safest thing to do was to thread a piece of cold roll. I turned to 1.080" and proceeded to thread the 16t.p.i. until the action threaded on the way I wanted it. Measured the diameter @ 1.071". I'll turn the tenon on the barrel to 1.072" when it's time. Got to open the bore on a recoil lug, first! On another note, I buy very little from PT&G. I can usually find the part or tool I need else where and it ends up working better. About the only thing is I buy is their Oberndorf bottom metal and I'd just as soon have Sunny Hill or Williams, to honest about it. Dakota bottom metal isn't bad, either. I do buy their bolts, too. Just doesn't seem to be any other supplier with as many options as my customers desire.

PT & G should be furnishing a recoil lug bored to clear the tenon diameter with their blueprinted actions. It would require that they have a standard overbore diameter though.

I have a couple of their one piece bolts and I like them.

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts