PT&G bolt head question?

engineer40

Hello all. I'm turning a 30-06 into a 300 Win Mag. This is my first project of this kind.

I just received my new bolt head from PT&G.

On their website it clearly states "Drop in bolt head".

When I opened the box there are multiple pieces of paper that state "Not a drop in item. Gunsmithing required. Some material will need to be removed from the back side of the locking lugs".

I haven't fired the rifle yet because I don't have the new barrel yet. However the bolt does cycle in the receiver just fine. As long as I set my headspace when I install the new barrel; are there any reasons that I need to have a gunsmith involved for this new bolt head to work properly?

My initial feeling is no. However I wanted to double check with you guys. Thanks!

if we are talking savage bolt head. I have 4 complete ptg bolts never had to touch the bolt head just the bolt body.

if we are talking savage bolt head. I have 4 complete ptg bolts never had to touch the bolt head just the bolt body.

Thanks. It's a Remington 783 floating bolt head, but it's almost identical to the Savages. In fact, the instructions I followed for disassembly of the bolt was for a Savage. Very similar.

Out of curiosity, what did you need to do to the bolt bodies on the PT&G bolts? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.