PT&G Bolt for Remington 721

Duvel

Hi Fellas,
I'm getting ready to do a makeover on my old 721. It is in 30-06 now but I am going to rebarrel it and chamber it for 300 H&H for use on plains game. I was going to use the original bolt, but for the trouble and cost of opening up the original bolt and installing an M16 type extractor, it makes more sense to use a new 1-piece bolt from Pacific Tool and Guage. I'm just not sure which M16 extractor to use, the mini or standard. Instinct tells me to go with the wider one for more purchase on the rim of the case, but I have heard this can increase the ejection angle slightly to where you risk the empties hitting the scope turret. I know that the PTG bolts have the ejector plunger located differently than a factory bolt which is supposed to lower the ejection path when using M16 extractors, but I have no experience with this. I'm asking for your guy's help and/or experience with PTG bolts with a magnum bolt face using M16 extractors. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

I have 2 PTG bolts with magnum bolt faces and 4 Remington bolts with magnum bolt faces. All have M-16 extracters except one which is a mini-16. All work fine. I like them much better than the Remington factory extracter. Except for looks,I cannot tell any difference in the M-16 vs the mini-16. The full size M-16 extracter is much beefier. Gary Campbell

Thanks for the reply ultraedge. Who did the extractor install on your factory bolts? I have a new Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Magnum that is having problems extracting rounds. It doesn't hang onto the cases long enough to allow the plunger to eject them. I contacted Remington last week and they said they'd call me back. Haven't heard from them yet. I'll let them try to fix it, but if it doesn't work out, I'll have an m16 extractor installed. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts