Remington 700

marketello

Hi, I am new to the board and would like to ask a couple of beginner questions.

I am in the market for a new hunting rifle, and at the same time would like to also take up longrange target shooting. All a newbie can do is keep reading and asking, and in doing so the Remington 700 keeps coming up as one of the most accurate rifles on the market. I will be looking for a left handers version, but have not decided on new or used, I could use some experience here.

Are the new 700's as good, or better than the older rifles?

When researching I keep reading about the .308 being such an accurate cartridge. I was leaning towards a 30-06, is the .308 that much more accurate?

For the time being I'll be shooting store bought ammo, maybe down the road getting into reloading.

I'll mostly be pig and deer hunting in CA, and target shooting at the range. So what are your opinion's, .308, or 30-06, new or used?

Thanks for your time.

I would look for an older Rem VSSF in 308. Have the trigger tuned and when you shoot out that bbl, have a custom one put on with a match chamber cut and the action trued. You'll have a real good shooter.
db

Greenhorn,

Welcome to LRH!!

The Rem 700 is a fine accuracy rifle. I would have to honestly say that as a whole the older rifles are built a little better.

I have just seen a few specific rifles come through my shop with some quality control problems that certainly should have never gotten out of the plant at Rem.

Still on average, even the new Rems are top performers in the accuracy department. As a gunsmith I would say build a rifle but this is not always practical and I understand that.

For your money, you have a better chance getting a fine shooting Rem then many other brands for the money.

It may also suprise you to hear that the Savage rilfes are generally very good shooters. They are not flashy or fancy but I would say for the money they are the best shooters on the market. In the same class as the Rems but for a bit less money.

THe 308 adn 30-06 are great hunting rounds for what you are planning on hunting. There are also great bullet selection for long range shooting.

It all depends on what distance you plan on shooting and if you will just be paper punching. For pure accuracy the 308 is a great long range round.

For long range hunting past 600 yards or so, I would highly recommend going up to a 300 WSM class. Like I said, just depends on your range goals.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

For a factory rifle, the most consistently accurate I have seen off the shelf have been the Tikka and Sako's. The Tikka are about the same money as the Rem 700. Next up would be the CZ's.

As a rule, Europeans don't 'gunsmith' their rifles so expect their factory rifles to be top notch. In general, they most certainly are.

For domestic rifles, the Rem's are certainly good. For the money, I would lean towards the Savages. Same total outlay will have the Savage, rings/bases, and a good scope (Bushnell Elite 3200 10X). The Winchester Stealth and Howa lines are pretty well priced and seem to have good feedback.

For the game and useage, I would suggest a 260/7-08, 270/280 for factory chamberings. The 308/'06 are very popular (I own several of each) but for LR target shooting, pale to the 6.5 and 7mm bullets.

I would probably end up with a 7-08 for a short action and a 280 for a long action. The 270 is more readily available. With todays bullets, either will take your size of game easily at ranges out past 350yds(assume proper bullet placement).

Good factory ammo is readily available too.

Jerry

My vote goes to one of the heavy barreled Savages in 308. Yea the 30-06 can be loaded to shoot just as accurate as the 308 but if your gonna be shooting factory ammo then the 308 is the way to go , their are so many great target rounds out their for the 308 and very few for the other popular deer rounds.
Get a box of BlackHills 168 and 175gr bullets and see which one flys best out of your rig and you'll be set. These bullets have been consistantly more accurate out of my three 308 than any other factory offerings.(I'll be trying Cor-Bon Friday)

I'll join the group that votes for the Savage as best out of box, accuracy wise. Dollar for dollar they are hard to beat. I have no bone to pick with Remington having shot both and built customs on both I'll still pick Savage.IMNSHO..
tongue.gif

Greenhorn, Don't know if you want to pack a varmit style rifle hunting I sure wouldn't. I've had pretty good luck with the Rem 700 and pretty hard to beat a Sako also. I don't own a savage so cann't comment. As to caliber the 308 is hard to beat alot of factory match ammo for the non reloader. I don't know if Kimber makes LH rifles might want to check them out. I heard the pro and con over the old rem and the new one. I got a new rem 700 300rum got rid of the j-lock and it's a shooter so cann't prove by me the new ones are bad. Well good luck.

I purchased a LH 700 VS .308 about a year and a half ago. With Federal match ammo it will shot .5-.75" groups and I can't help believing I can't improve on this slightly with a good handload. I actually got one 3 shot group that measured .070"(a fluke). The only problem with the gun was that the receiver top holes were not drilled correctly and I couldn't use the double dovetail Leupold mounts I wanted and had to go to an adjustable rear base. Overall I like the gun alot. It's fun to have a gun that will hit 1" dots at 100 yds. all day long! I've had good luck with every Remingtom rifle I've ever owned.

Pat S.

The model 700's are an absolutely wonderful choice for shooting long range targets and hunting. I have a sendero sf chambered in the 7mm ultra mag. Although some people consider it to be overbore, or "too much recoil." I find the recoil to be very bearable. I also have printed 1 3/4 MOA groups at 300 yards. I have had only one hunting experience with it so far. I've shot a really nice caribou at 209 yards and dropped it with one shot. The bullet did exactly what it was supposed to and entered one shoulder and exited about six inches behind the other. It's my new favorite rifle by far. My good buddy has a model 700 lss chambered in a 300 ultra mag. He absolutely loves it, and has killed many whitetails and elk with it.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Greenhorn, I live in Southern Cal. and I own both calibers, but the -06 sits alot. I use the .308 for most of my paper punching and black-tail, mule, and Black Bear hunting. The -06 is a little over kill here and does punch the shoulder more than the .308. I reload alot of handgun, but have not ventured into long gun reloading yet. The Federal Gold Metal Match BTHP is the most accurate factory load for .308 I've ever found. Depending on the rifle manufacturer, you can get exceptional groups out to 600yds with enough energy to take something down. If you want to punch paper out to 1000 the .308 is also good, but if you really want to bring game down at distances past 600 you may want to go with a larger caliber, -06, .300WM, or .300WSM.

--------------------------------------------

Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.