Remington 700

I agree the advice has been great! But one final question, silver stainless steel or the matte black barrell finish? I think it's a no brainers but I'm asking for the reason of saving money and how much rusting or problems have you had with the black finish?
I've gone to Alaska, very wet, with blued firearms twice. I carnuba waxed them and then oiled them daily to make sure no rust formed on them. Kinda ingrained into anyone that served with ground troops so it wasn't a big deal. I'd get a matte stainless if you can afford to, you'll still need to oil but it's not as critical in wet climates. Some of the matte blued finishes rust very quicly. The Remington shotguns rusted easily from moisture or sweat.

I assume from your question that you are relatively inexperienced in shooting. I know that when you assume you can make an *** out of u and me. But if you are, I would suggest a relatively light recoiling rifle until you can gain experience and can feel comfortable with a larger caliber. Somebody mentioned a TC Compass. I've got two, a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .308 Win. So far I'm no impressed with the 6.5 and have not worked with the .308. I'm getting 6 to 7 inch groups with the only ammo I've tried in it. I don't know if it's therifle, ammo or scope or a combination of those things. I haven't tried a different scope or ammo yet. All the reviews indicate that it is an accurate rifle. You might try one since it is probably the most inexpensive rifles you can get. After you decide that you want to continue hunting and shooting you can invest in a nicer rifle. I would also start with a caliber like the .243 win, 6.5 CM, 7mm-08 or .308Win. I don't have any big game experience with the .243, but I know I really like it for varmints with the 75gr bullet. I haven't killed any big game with my 6.5CM, but I have killed many deer with my 6.5 Rem mag. It is deadly with the 120gr bullet. I've also killed a lot deer with the 30-06 and I know the the .308 will perform similarly with bullets up to 150 to165 grain bullets. You have received a lot of advice, so weigh all the input and do what you think you can handle.

How much shooting have you done? What everyone on here is recommending is excellent advice for hunting, but if you haven't done a lot of shooting, your best bet is a good .22. Everyone I know owns at least one, and learned to shoot with one. You cant substitute firing hundreds of rounds for target practice, hunting small game, handling, trigger control. A box of 50 rounds costs 1/5 or less of 20 rounds of any hunting rifle. You will learn to shoot without recoil and muzzle blast (or a flinch) and will IMHO be able to shoot better than someone starting with a hunting rifle. I also have lots of places to shoot with a 22 where the noise of my 22-250 isn't welcome. Happiness is a warm gun.

A 7mm-08 or 308 Win would be a fine choice for 300 yds or less. You'll get to practise shooting a lot without beating yourself up. Over here in Eastern Oregon a buddy has killed more elk with his 308 Win and a 165gr Partition than any of his other rifles. My current personal hunting rifle is a 30-06 with a Leupold 2.8-8x32mm. It has a Premier Reticle mildot in it and I've shot out to 800 yards by just using the reticle. But I've yet to shoot over 125 yds on big game with it.
Too often the 3006 is the forgotten cal....More Elk and deer put down in the last 75 yrs with 3006 than all calibers combined!

Too often the 3006 is the forgotten cal....More Elk and deer put down in the last 75 yrs with 3006 than all calibers combined!
The 06 has served me well and with old loads is fine out to 400 yards, and quite a bit farther with practice and modern loads. I'd stick with it but some of the areas near me the closest you can get to game during rifle season is maybe 600 yards. So I'm considering a 280 AI, 7mm RM or a 300 Win Mag. But out to 300 yards a 308 win, 7mm-08 are good rounds. Heck there are a ton of "classic" cartridges that would be just fine with current loads and good shot placement.

Bullet designs and powders have improved so much in the last few years that the older cartridges don't even shoot the same as when they were introduced . It's great . But it's sad also as to get that kind of improvement it takes a war .

OP (@Woodlander ), you are JUST getting started. You are learning as you go. We all started somewhere. There are many people here to help and some are even offering good advice. (And others are thinking about THEMSELVES and what THEY would want? I don't really get it, but that's life.) Here is some advice geared toward your experience level...

First thing's first. RECOIL. It's a nightmare. Start off with a gun that kicks too hard and you won't want to shoot it much, you'll develop a horrible flinch, and you'll miss your target(s) a lot. While the 30-06 Springfield, 7mm Remington Magnum, and 300 Win Mag are wonderful cartridges. they are "too much" for a guy just starting out. Listen to the people saying: 6.5 Creedmoor or 243 Winchester. These cartridges work great on deer, hogs, mountain lions, and coyotes. They are on the light side for elk, but elk will come later. Once you 'get into' hunting more and develop some skills and experience, then you worry about elk. They are a big animal that take experience and planning and MONEY to hunt. Right now your bread and butter hunting target is DEER. And you don't need a gun that kicks like a mule to take down deer.

GUNS. The Remington 700 is an excellent platform to begin with. If you can find one inexpensively, you will be happy with it. As someone else pointed out, the BDL model with a floorplate makes unloading easier, but an ADL will work just fine to get started. You can convert it to a BDL later, if you find you are really 'into it' and want to refine your equipment. Other guns to consider are the various Savage and Mossberg bolt actions. They are generally inexpensive and accurate and allow 'upgrades' over time, too. The T/C Compass/Compass II and the Ruger American rifles are a great, economical choices, as well. Any of these will serve you just fine and not break the bank.

SCOPE. Since you are just getting started, do yourself a favor and get a 3-9X40mm Leupold VX Freedom scope with rings for $199 (https://cameralandny.com/shop/leupo...3588-0138-611f-00163e44aa35?variation=2132855). You won't regret it. Clear optics. Lifetime warranty. Quality product that will last. And perfect for the distances you will be encountering as you learn your gun and cartridge.

I wish you the best. I see you are from California, so that means most (all?) your hunting will require "lead free" (i.e., copper) bullets. That being the case, a larger diameter bullet generally works out better, so I'd push you toward the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .243 Winchester if you are torn which way to go. Good luck!

OP (@Woodlander ), you are JUST getting started. You are learning as you go. We all started somewhere. There are many people here to help and some are even offering good advice. (And others are thinking about THEMSELVES and what THEY would want? I don't really get it, but that's life.) Here is some advice geared toward your experience level...

First thing's first. RECOIL. It's a nightmare. Start off with a gun that kicks too hard and you won't want to shoot it much, you'll develop a horrible flinch, and you'll miss your target(s) a lot. While the 30-06 Springfield, 7mm Remington Magnum, and 300 Win Mag are wonderful cartridges. they are "too much" for a guy just starting out. Listen to the people saying: 6.5 Creedmoor or 243 Winchester. These cartridges work great on deer, hogs, mountain lions, and coyotes. They are on the light side for elk, but elk will come later. Once you 'get into' hunting more and develop some skills and experience, then you worry about elk. They are a big animal that take experience and planning and MONEY to hunt. Right now your bread and butter hunting target is DEER. And you don't need a gun that kicks like a mule to take down deer.

GUNS. The Remington 700 is an excellent platform to begin with. If you can find one inexpensively, you will be happy with it. As someone else pointed out, the BDL model with a floorplate makes unloading easier, but an ADL will work just fine to get started. You can convert it to a BDL later, if you find you are really 'into it' and want to refine your equipment. Other guns to consider are the various Savage and Mossberg bolt actions. They are generally inexpensive and accurate and allow 'upgrades' over time, too. The T/C Compass/Compass II and the Ruger American rifles are a great, economical choices, as well. Any of these will serve you just fine and not break the bank.

SCOPE. Since you are just getting started, do yourself a favor and get a 3-9X40mm Leupold VX Freedom scope with rings for $199 (https://cameralandny.com/shop/leupo...3588-0138-611f-00163e44aa35?variation=2132855). You won't regret it. Clear optics. Lifetime warranty. Quality product that will last. And perfect for the distances you will be encountering as you learn your gun and cartridge.

I wish you the best. I see you are from California, so that means most (all?) your hunting will require "lead free" (i.e., copper) bullets. That being the case, a larger diameter bullet generally works out better, so I'd push you toward the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .243 Winchester if you are torn which way to go. Good luck!
Definitely would go with the 6.5 Creed over the .243 - and with the proper shot placement - you can take an Elk with a 6.5 - but would recommend something with a bit more pop - like the trusty ole 30.06, or on up.

Definitely would go with the 6.5 Creed over the .243 - and with the proper shot placement - you can take an Elk with a 6.5 - but would recommend something with a bit more pop - like the trusty ole 30.06, or on up.
Actually with the right shot - even a .243 can work on big game - but a bigger bullet with more oomph gives you more room for error.

being in the rifle business for almost 50 years the one that goes bang and hit the target is the best. if you want a rifle that is accurate out of the box and I am a remington 700 fan own over 20 of them in my life ans shoot them now. but today if i wanted an accurate 7mm Remington mag in a syn stock it woud be the Weatherby Vanguard. I do not like the weatherby rounds except their 375. and their fancy rifles , but the vanguard is a fine rifle and it is priced right. it also has a 24" barrel which is handy and useful- some companies produce 22" 7 mags and it is no better than the remington 280 but a 24" barrel will do the work. just and idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.