Remington 700

Woodlander

Hello,

I am going to be getting into hunting pretty soon and I have been thinking about the Remington 700, but unsure about the caliber.

I am interested in big game hunting. Friends tell me that a high caliber rifle isn't need and have gotten different caliber uses from different people. So I'm coming here to hopefully get a better idea of what caliber would be best.

Thank you

If I was just starting out I'd get a 6.5 prc. A 270/280 are classics with good ammo selections. Best wishes to you. Btw I don't know if Remington makes a prc or not.

What are you wanting to hunt exactly? Also, how far do you plan to shoot? I recently have been working with a couple new 700s, both in 7mm Rem Mag. That's an excellent cartridge to do everything with. It's available in a lot of Model 700 variations, factory ammo is plentiful, brass is everywhere, and it can be loaded with lots of different bullet weights. It also doesn't beat you up and the two rifles I recently have been working with both had nice recoil pads and with 150-162gr bullets they kicked like a .308 Winchester.

If you don't want or need something that big, then look into a 6.5 Creedmoor. I know that cartridge is brought up a lot, but it really is a great round for medium game and shooting mid to long range. Also has lots of factory ammo and it's also easy to load for and it shoots really well. It's the 21st Century version of the .308 really. It does a lot of things well and isn't hard to shoot or too expensive to practice with.

What are you wanting to hunt exactly? Also, how far do you plan to shoot? I recently have been working with a couple new 700s, both in 7mm Rem Mag. That's an excellent cartridge to do everything with. It's available in a lot of Model 700 variations, factory ammo is plentiful, brass is everywhere, and it can be loaded with lots of different bullet weights. It also doesn't beat you up and the two rifles I recently have been working with both had nice recoil pads and with 150-162gr bullets they kicked like a .308 Winchester.

If you don't want or need something that big, then look into a 6.5 Creedmoor. I know that cartridge is brought up a lot, but it really is a great round for medium game and shooting mid to long range. Also has lots of factory ammo and it's also easy to load for and it shoots really well. It's the 21st Century version of the .308 really. It does a lot of things well and isn't hard to shoot or too expensive to practice with.
I'll be going for Elk and deer. So I have quite sometime to get use to the feel of the gun before the start to next season.

I've heard that the 7mm is a good caliber without any harsh recoil and as already mentioned, cheaper rounds.

As for the distance, 300yds would be my round about distance. Depending on elemental factors and terrain, possibly closer.

What is your budget for just the rifle? What about optics?
I would prefer to stay under $500 ( not including any fees) and the optics unsure about but I currently get discounts on a few brands. I'm more focused on the gun itself right now but definitely open looking into optics.

Budget rifles have come a LONG way. With that budget I would seriously consider something like the Ruger American or Mossberg Patriot. If you can stretch your budget a little bit then you could also check out the Tikka T3x or you may be able to find a used one in the $500 range. As for caliber I would go with something like a 270 or the 280AI and possibly look at the 6.5CM

Hello,

I am going to be getting into hunting pretty soon and I have been thinking about the Remington 700, but unsure about the caliber.

I am interested in big game hunting. Friends tell me that a high caliber rifle isn't need and have gotten different caliber uses from different people. So I'm coming here to hopefully get a better idea of what caliber would be best.

Thank you
For 300 yards I would look no further than a 7mm-08 or 308 light recoil and lots of factory ammo available if you do not reload

The 7mm-08 sounds about perfect for your intended use, or if you wanted to take a small step up you could go with the 280AI. Either will handle deer and elk to 300y just fine and if you wanted to step down to the 6.5 creedmoor plenty of people are using it within your constraints.

Vortex makes great scopes, for $900 you can usually get the Viper PST Gen 2 which is pretty great glass and reticles for the price tag. For $400 the diamondback tactical is a great option, but there are a ton of good scopes out there, personally I really want to get my hands on the Night Force NX8 2.5-20x50 and see how looks ... what's your glass budget?

The 7mm-08 sounds about perfect for your intended use, or if you wanted to take a small step up you could go with the 280AI. Either will handle deer and elk to 300y just fine and if you wanted to step down to the 6.5 creedmoor plenty of people are using it within your constraints.

Vortex makes great scopes, for $900 you can usually get the Viper PST Gen 2 which is pretty great glass and reticles for the price tag. For $400 the diamondback tactical is a great option, but there are a ton of good scopes out there, personally I really want to get my hands on the Night Force NX8 2.5-20x50 and see how looks ... what's your glass budget?
I'm not really sure on the budget of the optics just yet. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what it is that I would need. Probably by the end of summer into fall I will be looking more into it with intentions to finally purchase

For glass get the best you can afford. Don't just pick a Vortex for the warranty. A lot of manufacturers have the same warranty. There are a ton of excellent budget glass brands out there from companies like Vortex, Athlon, Sig, etc and evening some budget options from Nightforce, Zeiss, Leupold, etc. get behind a few especially in low light conditions and see what looks the best to your eyes and checks all your boxes.

Hello,

Thank you
Do not skimp on optics bad glass on a good gun makes for a bad gun there is no way around it but you can buy a scope that would suit your needs well for 800 to 1000 without any compromise but don't expect to be dialing accurate elevation or wind but at 300 it would not be needed a good bullet in a 7mm-08 sighted at 225 just aim for hair 1 other to consider buy gun early enough to allow time for lots of practice this will this will mean as much as anything

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.