remington 700 upgrade

I crunched some numbers. The cheapest remy you can buy of the shelf that is worthwhile for a build is around 500-600 bucks. Another 300-400 in having it trued, makes a Stiller look more and more like a viable option. Just saying you can tie up 1K+ in a new rifle and still end up needing a new barrel. Now if you have a decent free rifle the math tips and favor of a stock remy build. When it's all said and done if 5 years ago I would have known about stiller, I would have built a .338 and bought a lee neck sizer and forster CoAx with a "perfect" powder measure. instead of the horn LnL "kit" snf building my .300wm.

You live you learn I wish I had thought to go online and talk to people back than instead of asking the guys behind the parts counter.

Joe,
I bought my Rem700 300WM for $470.00. I had it tuned and trued, with an accuracy package $450.00, Custom built 20MOA base and Police Tactical Rings, $300.00. NF NSX 5.5x22x56mm $1,300.00 (Law enforcement discount).
The barrel was cut back and rechambered with a deep recessed 11 degree crown.

I've had this rifle 15 years. The factory barrel from Remington was 3 degrees off axis. The accuracy tune up made all the difference in the world.

Every 2 years I have it taken down and inspected. The bore and chamber were checked for erosion (6,000rds). It has signs of slight erosion. It is still extremely accurate. After this hunting season I'll have it cutback and re-chambered.

Gonzo

I crunched some numbers. The cheapest remy you can buy of the shelf that is worthwhile for a build is around 500-600 bucks. Another 300-400 in having it trued, QUOTE] this is incorrect. i have a 700 bdl i bought used for 300 bucks. add a krieger barrel 300 + chamber and thread 150 ; add a stock ( 200 at stockys) ;
950 total and you will have a definite shooter. i have never had any of mine "trued" . the krieger barrel does it for me.

i think i would look into a 700 5r mil spec its as close as you can get factory to the m40 sniper rifle most you will find have the 26 in barrel and you should be able to use any 700 extras on it as well decent price if you buy used 7-1000 bucks but under 1200 new almose anyhwhere you can fid one
(gunbroker) and they have good stocks on them mostly HS Precision
good luckgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.