Remington 700

I've got to agree with several who have recommended calibers in the 260 to 7:08 range. I have Remington 700's in both of these and forms the range and game you've mentioned, they will allow you to shoot a lot without having to replace your shoulder. And shooting A LOT is key to success in the field in season. AND, if you choose to get into reloading they are easy to reload with lots of options available. Most importantly, have fun.

Some great advice on here so far. As a first and "do it all rifle", I'd aim toward well proven cartridges--I love the 7mm-08 for North America and Africa Plains game. Low muzzle blast, mild recoil but a serious game harvester. I have 16 rifles and shoot that cartridge the most--recently had Fierce Firearms build me a custom. I reload and shoot a Barnes 145 gr LRX @ 2844 FPS from a 22"Bbl. That said you'd also be well served with a .308 Winchester and if you want little more jack you are never wrong with the venerable old tried and true 30-06. A one gun guy could find a nice 30-06 in Ruger, Mossberg, Browning X-Bolt, Tikka, Rem 700 etc., and call it a day. Any of these cartridges will do what you need and you can find a wide selection of ammo anywhere. A lot of good rifles out there, my favorite off the shelf by far is SAKO 85 but that is gonna be over your budget ($1800.00 or so). I also love the Viper Vortex 4-16X44 HS-T scope with drop in turrets from Kenton industries. A little more $$ and you can get the Razor. Very good scopes, lifetime warranty and bang for your buck. It'll let you dial if you like for long range or use the CDS hash marks or just zero at 200 and put the "thing on the thing" to 300 yds. Weight is only 19 oz. That said, you are never wrong glass wise with a good, solid Leopold. Tho I love the cartridge, I'd shy away from the very hyped 6.5 Creedmoor as a first/"do it all rifle"...great round for whitetail deer or close work on Elk, accurate, fun to shoot, but my experience over several years and three different rifles is it just doesn't have enough huevos (IMO) to get 'er done over a broad range of use unless you are an experienced shooter.

Jmw67 are you saying one has to spend over a 1000 to have accurate elevation and wind adjustments
Jmw67 are you saying one has to spend over a 1000 to have accurate elevation and wind adjustments
In my experience scopes in the 800 to 1000 dollar range are good hunting scopes but are not meant for a lot of long range work were you will be making a lot of adjustments the tracking on them is not always dependable works great this time but maybe not the next

I'm just wondering what is you shooting back ground ? Have you done much shooting and do you plan to continue shooting or are you just wanting to go hunting with a couple of buddies once or twice ? If that is the case just buy the box set and get started getting used to it now . Buy a few box's of ammo in different bullet weights and see what it likes learn how to clean and maintain it quit awhile before you plan on hunting with it get used to it so you have an idea what it can do in your hands . I would recommend going with 30-06 or smaller caliber instead of a magnum if this is to be your first time doing any shooting .

Hello,

I am going to be getting into hunting pretty soon and I have been thinking about the Remington 700, but unsure about the caliber.

I am interested in big game hunting. Friends tell me that a high caliber rifle isn't need and have gotten different caliber uses from different people. So I'm coming here to hopefully get a better idea of what caliber would be best.

Thank you
I started out with a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem magnum in 1976. I got it on the recommendation of an old hunter. I've had 23 one-shot elk kills with it. I put in a Timney trigger, had it epoxy bedded and the muzzle crowned. A+ 😊

I started out with a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem magnum in 1976. I got it on the recommendation of an old hunter. I've had 23 one-shot elk kills with it. I put in a Timney trigger, had it epoxy bedded and the muzzle crowned. A+ 😊
Amen I have 3 7mm all great shooters lots of one shot kills lost count 7mm xcr 168 grain and core loct bullets

Dude, for real..If you are just getting into hunting you would be best served with a stock rifle such at the Remington 700 in a very established heritage caliber. I would get the 30-06 or the 7 Rem Mag and get started. There is even merit to going with a somewhat lighter caliber that will still take your game out to 300 yards such as the .308 or 7mm-08. Also, there are plenty of second focal plane scopes in the 300-500 price range that would be more than up to the job. You won't need to twist any knobs. See how you like it first and if you really get the bug you will have a better idea of what direction to go. If you were buying your first car to learn about driving and get back and forth to work you would not need a Lamborghini or a highly tricked out Mustang. This is the same thing.

Someone probably mentioned this already, but some of us are ridiculous overkill types that build sweet rifles, then sell them to fund other things after a while at low prices. Keep an eye on our classified section because you'll probably find your dream rifle for dirt cheap with target pics and load data

I agree the advice has been great! But one final question, silver stainless steel or the matte black barrell finish? I think it's a no brainers but I'm asking for the reason of saving money and how much rusting or problems have you had with the black finish?

I agree the advice has been great! But one final question, silver stainless steel or the matte black barrell finish? I think it's a no brainers but I'm asking for the reason of saving money and how much rusting or problems have you had with the black finish?
Keep it clean great just make sure tiou dont forget it's a tool take care of it it will always work

There are a lot of good rust inhibitor products out there to keep rust in check inside and out for your rifle . A nice mate finish on a stainless steel action and barrel looks nice as well . Mostly depends on where you live and or hunt and the amount of humidity in those areas as well as your cleaning and care habits for your rifles and other guns .

Okay, I'm sold on the 30.06 BUT, might be too particular of a question or a lame question, what's the difference between 30.06 Springfield vs 30.06 Winchester? I'm seeing a lot of Springfield 30.06 than Winchester 30.06 on Buds. I'm questioning if there is a real difference

Okay, I'm sold on the 30.06 BUT, might be too particular of a question or a lame question, what's the difference between 30.06 Springfield vs 30.06 Winchester? I'm seeing a lot of Springfield 30.06 than Winchester 30.06 on Buds. I'm questioning if there is a real difference
Here's the gun I'm looking at
Screenshot_20200215-152047_Chrome.jpg

Are you sure that you aren't confusing the 30-06 spring field with the 308 Winchester . The 30-06 was developed for use in the 1903 spring field rifle and has been used since WW-I while the 308 Winchester was built and used in the m14 rifle that replaced the M1 grand in the 50's . The 30-06 is longer then the 308 win. for one main difference , they both use a 30 caliber bullet of varying weights and generally have similar ballistics . You can do a search on the web and read up on them .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.