Remington 700 w/ 5R barrel??????

sakofan

Seems everywhere I look lately, some dude has a factory Rem. 700 w/ a 5R barrel.(Slight exaggeration) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anybody here have one, and what can you tell me about them??
Does Mike Rock make the barrels for these rifles??
The ones I have seen are all .308's. Do they come in any other flavors??

The guys that have them are flat tearing up the rifle ranges around here!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif What's the story???..sakofan...out!

The way it was explained to me is Remington offers a 5R barrel on the PSS models in .308. It is a step above their standard barrels (5 groove, and the R stands for Russian design).

It is not a Mike Rock barrel. The Mike Rock barrel is a high quality 5 groove cut rifled barrel, top of the line. I think the only thing they have in common is the name "5R". As far as quality I am guessing Yugo vs Rolls Royce.

Frank D

If ya do a little checking...you'll probably find out that a friend of mine named "Boots" Obermeyer is FAMOUS for the 5R Obermeyer barrel! And yes....I have one in a M700 Remington actioned Match Rifle in .308 Win! Shot better than any barrel I ever had...and still do!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the replies.
Sharpsman, I was referring specifically to Remingtons factory "5R" barrel offering.
Dont hear about them talked about much on the forums, but I see several folks shooting little bug holes with them around here...sakofan...out!

I believe this is the second time Remington has widely offered the 5R barrel(s). Early PSS and possible M24's had a 5R and those may have been "custom" Obermeyer (?) or Rock barrels. The latest offering is probably not of the same quality the first were but that's pure speculation on my part.

Here's the skinny on the 5R barrels the best I can recall.

It was orginally designed by Boots Obermeyer who barrowed the design from the Russians.

The US Army evaluated it when it was looking for a new sniper weapon system. The 5R barrels out performed all of the barrels they evaluated.

The US Army chose the 5R barrel, but Boots could not handle the production for the Army contract. Remington was awarded the contract, came to an license agreement with Boots and produced the 5R barrels for the US Army M24 SWS.

Orginally Remington made the 5R barrels for the PSS but after a while they were only available from the custom shop.

Remington still provides the 5R barrels for any new M24's the Army purchases, but Mike Rock has the contract for rebarrel jobs. The Army has not been happy with the quality of the factory 5R barrels coming out of Remington and for this reason, Mike has been doing the rebarrel jobs on the M24's.

Mike's barrels are fantastic and I haven't found a bullet that my .308 didn't like. We even loaded up 5 rounds of 170 gr 30-30 round nose bullets this summer to see how they'd shoot. The 5 round group at 100 yards was in the mid .3's

Sakofan-

I believe the Model you are referring too is the "700 Stainless Special 5R Milspec Barrel". The Remington Order No is 29663. The barrel is a heavy stainless and 24" instead of the usual 26". Stock is the same as a Sendero or VS and grey in color. This is a .308, don't know if they make anything else with the 5R barrel. My local dealer gets them in occaisionally, I think he said from AccuSport. I bought one in October and my buddy bought one this month. Very accurate for a factory gun, .3-.5 at 100 yards with 168 SMK and IMR 4895. However, it has a very long throat! Can't get a 168 SMK to touch the lands! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Shortly after getting the M24 contract, Remington started making their own 5R barrels. However, they still have to meet the 1/2 minute of angle accuracy requirement specified by the Army.

I thought that Mike Rock was the exclusive supplier of barrel for the M-24 , or at least that is what I was told
I think that it would be hard to make a 5R barrel by way of hammer forging or Button rifling , I thought that the only way to egt the true 5R was to broach cut it? Does Remington offer a Broach cut barrel and if so what does something like that cost??

As Jeff mentioned, Remington originally went to Boots Obermeyer for the barrels. He didn't want to take the contract to produce the barrels, but came to an agreement with Remington to let them produce it. They then went to Mike Rock to produce the barrels while they competed for the contract (to avoid the massive tooling costs if they were unsuccessful). Once they won the contract, they developed the tooling and resubmitted the M24, with their own barrel, for testing. The Remington barrels were successful in meeting all the Army's specified requirements. The M24s were then produced with Remington barrels.

The Remington 5R barrel is hammer forged.

[ QUOTE ]
Sakofan-

I believe the Model you are referring too is the "700 Stainless Special 5R Milspec Barrel". The Remington Order No is 29663. The barrel is a heavy stainless and 24" instead of the usual 26". Stock is the same as a Sendero or VS and grey in color. This is a .308, don't know if they make anything else with the 5R barrel. My local dealer gets them in occaisionally, I think he said from AccuSport. I bought one in October and my buddy bought one this month. Very accurate for a factory gun, .3-.5 at 100 yards with 168 SMK and IMR 4895. However, it has a very long throat! Can't get a 168 SMK to touch the lands! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Shortly after getting the M24 contract, Remington started making their own 5R barrels. However, they still have to meet the 1/2 minute of angle accuracy requirement specified by the Army.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the intel. I have been out of town for a few days, and just got back last night.

Yes, the rifle you mentioned is the one I was referring too.
It looks like a M24, only stainless. I should have mentioned that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif...Thanks for the good responses fellas!!..sakofan..

I got a 700 ss 5r recently and i am very happy with it. It is shooting in the .4s consistently with the 168 sierra mk. I adjusted the stock trigger to 3 lbs. pull, any less than that the trigger just is not consistent. I am sure with a jewell trigger it will shoot close to 1/4 moa at 100 yards. The barrel quit copper fouling after about 20 rounds and now cleans up like a match barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.