Remington 700 throat to long

most stocks with a bedding block can benefit from a skim bedding. Here is a quick way to tell if your bedding block was machined out of spec or was warped during installation:

bedding%20check%20002.jpg
[/URL]

with finger jammed between the end of the forearm and barrel, now loosen front guard screw, you should feel NO movement of the barrel springing away from or toward your finger
bedding%20check%20003.jpg
[/URL]

Some of the al bedding blocks are real Bad!!!

Moose,
I think you are on the right track with a switch to the TTSX bullets considering the 'jump' your rounds have before finding rifling.

As pointed out, free-floating is another great way to eliminate a variable, so you are doing great on both fronts.

As for bedding, my rule of thumb has always been to shoot the gun first. If it's shooting well, I chose to not fix what is not broken. I can always bed later if I change my mind. But what if you bed and the gun still shoots bad? Was it the bedding (people can and do mess it up)? Is it the gun? You don't know. So try the gun first and see how it goes. If you get 1 MOA or better, maybe 'let it be' for hunting season and you can revisit bedding in the off-season to see if you can shrink things down more. Just a thought. Best of luck and keep us informed on how things progress. I'm curious now.

Moose,
I think you are on the right track with a switch to the TTSX bullets considering the 'jump' your rounds have before finding rifling.

As pointed out, free-floating is another great way to eliminate a variable, so you are doing great on both fronts.

As for bedding, my rule of thumb has always been to shoot the gun first. If it's shooting well, I chose to not fix what is not broken. I can always bed later if I change my mind. But what if you bed and the gun still shoots bad? Was it the bedding (people can and do mess it up)? Is it the gun? You don't know. So try the gun first and see how it goes. If you get 1 MOA or better, maybe 'let it be' for hunting season and you can revisit bedding in the off-season to see if you can shrink things down more. Just a thought. Best of luck and keep us informed on how things progress. I'm curious now.
Thank you for it the reply. I will post results as I go along.

Bedding it first eliminates a variable.
If it's not shooting, is it load, scope or what.
Not sure what's going on with it? I just ordered new stock, scope and bullets yesterday. Found a really good deal on a Meopta 4.5-14x44 that I couldn't pass up. I had to leave for work for a few weeks, but in anxious to get back and install everything to see if it makes a difference

Bedding it first eliminates a variable. If it's not shooting, is it load, scope or what.
I'm seeing this a little differenty. Changing to a stock with an aluminum bedding block IS the 'new' variable. He should test it. If it doesn't work to his satisfaction, THEN he should proceed to glass-bedding it. One variable at a time. That is the recommended method. Besides, he's voiced that he doesn't feel confident with glass-bedding. If the gun shoots great in the new stock, as is, he can avoid going down that road entirely. That would be a positive thing.

If you are serious about accuracy, bed the rifle before you ever fire the gun, freefloat the barrel, also.
Because...why? If he fires the gun in the new stock FIRST it will...(please fill in the blank for me.) It's not going to damage the gun. It's not going to damage the stock. It will merely allow him to see what changing the stock alone "got him" in regards to accuracy for his rifle. If he is dissatisfied, then glass bedding would seem to be in order as the 'next variable' to test.

I respect that you are trying to get the OP on the best track, fastest, but glass-bedding is a tedious job and their are risks in not getting it right. Testing his new stock first hurts nothing. And it could save him some hassles. Not sure I understand the opposition to this approach.

Bedding block or not all actions especially factory ones are not the same, JE,Bigngreen, Ryan and Alex can tell you that. It's up to the O.P but my opinion is bed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.