Remington 700 throat to long

Throat and freebore Is set by SAMMI and the reamer sets both of them, Not Remington or anyone else unless they have a non SAMMI reamer. Not defending Remington or any other manufacture, but I doubt that they would add a step to the process and throat an already long throat and free bore.

The designer is the one responsible for the chamber dimensions that he submits to SAMMI. The freebore on the CM is .200 and the long Throat adds to this making for a .362 total depending on which bullet is used. If you use a secant ojive bullet you may never reach the lead to seat against the rifling without extending the magazine and then there will not be much neck engagement. The CM was designed for a long seated bullet (The latest trend in designer cartridges) to get as much powder capacity as possible.

I like Sherm's response about Hornady being responsible, and to defend them, they only did what everyone wanted so they had to throat and freebore deep. Before the long seated revolution started, It was hard to find a chamber with enough free bore. The term ' be careful what you ask for' comes to mind.

Seat the bullet to SAMMI dimensions and magazine length and you will be fine, and with good loads accuracy will be there. It is a good cartridge as long as you load it correctly. The shape of the bullet greatly effects the loaded length, so this has to be a consideration.

Just Saying !!

J E CUSTOM

If you load Tangent ojive bullets to Magazine length It will do fine.

If the condition described in to OP is correct, that rifle doesn't have a SAAMI chamber.

In a SAAMI chamber, a 143 gr ELD-X bullet is about .100" from contact when loaded at a cartridge OAL of 2.80". He is describing a condition that is at least .300" longer than that.

If the condition described in to OP is correct, that rifle doesn't have a SAAMI chamber.

In a SAAMI chamber, a 143 gr ELD-X bullet is about .100" from contact when loaded at a cartridge OAL of 2.80". He is describing a condition that is at least .300" longer than that.

True!
But there is only way to find out what chamber he has. He needs to check the COAL with a Gauge something like this to be sure. Guessing is not recommended.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/570611/hornady-lock-n-load-overall-length-gauge-bolt-action

There are several ways to test the length and this is just one. test the length several times and average the numbers to get the best results

J E CUSTOM

True!
But there is only way to find out what chamber he has. He needs to check the COAL with a Gauge something like this to be sure. Guessing is not recommended.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/570611/hornady-lock-n-load-overall-length-gauge-bolt-action

There are several ways to test the length and this is just one. test the length several times and average the numbers to get the best results

J E CUSTOM
He could fumble his way to getting a measurement with that tool but it is designed for measuring OAL of a cartridge that allows for the bullet to remain in the case. In his situation, the bullet has exited the case before contact is made.

If it was mine I would shoot it first and see how how it does. If it shoots, no problem, if it doesn't and I cant find a load it likes, and if you don't want to send it back to them to fix it, put a new barrel on it and problem solved. I don't buy a high volume production rifle and expect custom tolerances, fit and finish. With anything that is produced in volume you have some that just don't meet even the manufactures standards that slip through the system. Send it back and give them the chance to make it right. I have a few friends that have purchased high end rifles and have had problems, nothing is completely immune to it in large production runs.

I bought a rem 700 varmeter in 22-250 several years a go it also had an extremely long throat I was told by rem it was because of lawsuit protection after about 3000 rounds I had it set back some . I shot only factory ammo in it and had no real problems after I tried reloading for it at first and couldn't get a load that worked any better as bulk factory ammo

The only factory bolt guns I have are a couple CZ 527 17 Hornets. I've also had a CZ 527 in 17 Rem and 204 Ruger, and all of them had throats so long the bullet was barely touching the end of the case when I checked them for COAL.

I have two CZ's in 17 Hornet, both were bought brand new and shot factory ammo about the same, depending on the Lot# 3/8-3/4 in. groups at 100yds. As an experiment, I sent one of my CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornets off to have the barrel set back and rechambered with a custom reamer, the gun only had about 15 rounds down the pipe from new when I had this done.

My thinking was a tighter spec custom reamer with a shorter throat would shoot better, not that it really shot bad before. To my surprise, shooting factory ammo, it didn't really change a thing and shot pretty much the exact same.

I understand this isn't comparing apples to apples, but like has already been mentioned, I'd shoot it first and see how it shoots before I got to concerned about anything else.

Hornady 6.5 cm ammo is some real good shooting stuff. Ive shot it in long freebore rifles and it shoots great. Don't worry about how far the bullet is from the rifling. Load it to fit the magazine and then keep seating it back till it shoots. I'm a Remington guy and have seen some lackluster rifles coming out of there. I'm a custom Smith and have found receivers .010 out of square. Add tolerance stacking and you can get one thats bad or you can get one that stacks in your favor. Luck of the draw with them anymore. Shep

True!

J E CUSTOM
Good advise. Then work from there testing loads. See what coal the rifle likes, forgetting the magazine. If the mag ends up too short, a wyatts is much cheaper than a new barrel if it shoots acceptably well. Thats how i ended up with a 700 rum and 3.82". Shoots very well.

You can run them single shot to see were it shoots the best, then if you need a wyatts box have one installed it's not that difficult if you know a Smith who's got a mill. I know some have done it will a dremel.

I guess I haven't explained it well, so I will try again.

A fixed dimension is mandatory before "ANY" decisions are made. A bunch, a ton, to much, I think, he said and any more assumptions mean nothing to a gunsmith. He has to know what the problem is or perceived to be and the exact dimensions If he is to fix it correctly.

There are many ways to measure throat and free bore correctly The tool i mentioned will at least tell him if the bullet is staying in the case at all If he follows the instructions for the use of the tool and then he will at least know how much of an issue he actually has.

I certainly would not work on a rifle taking anyone's word for what is wrong without checking everything.

J E CUSTOM

My first centerfire Remington was a 30-06. My wife actually bought if for me around 2008. Forget about touching the lands but it shot OK otherwise. As some have said Remingtons are know for having very long throats. The upside is they can often be loaded above max loads but of course it still works the brass hard going to and above max.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts