Remington 700 throat to long

Really????
Obviously you know very little about them.
Originally, those designed by Roy himself had exactly this length, the 378 Weatherby when first designed had .750" throat length. Parallel sided .0005" larger than bullet OD.

So sir, you are completely incorrect.

Cheers.

The 460 and 378 have a .756 then you drop down to the 270 and 7mm at .378. There is no .500 throat in the Weatherby family.

The throat is a huge factor, diameter, length and lead all can be tuned and you can see large changes on paper and on a chronograph.

The 460 and 378 have a .756 then you drop down to the 270 and 7mm at .378. There is no .500 throat in the Weatherby family.

The throat is a huge factor, diameter, length and lead all can be tuned and you can see large changes on paper and on a chronograph.
Today what you tote is true, .375" across the board, excepting the 240 Weatherby that has no freebore like the others.
Back in the day they had .500" on everything except the 378 and 460.

Don't really care what you think you know today, these were the specs originally. Do your research.

Cheers.

I've been following this thread and after I read the very first post...
Am I the only one experiencing a extremely long throat on a 6.5 Creedmoor? I can put a 143 eld-x bullet into the chamber point the muzzle downwards then chamber a case that has been size and the bullet never touches case. Rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor Remington 700 SPS with 24 inch barrel. This can't be right?
...my first thought was, "But HOW DOES IT SHOOT?" Isn't that what really matters? You never said you shot it in this post nor how it shot. Just that you found it had a very long throat. Fair enough. Then KurtB said...

Curious if you have shot it yet and how accuracy is? <SNIPPED STUFF>
You never replied, so we still didn't know if you were just 'academically' complaining or if the free-bore was causing an actual accuracy issue. And I guess that's fine. You were just mentioning the generous free-bore and wondering if that was acceptable or not. Free country. You get to do that. But apparently we weren't the only ones curious about HOW THE GUN SHOT because then MASH posted and said...

If it was mine I would shoot it first and see how how it does. If it shoots, no problem, if it doesn't and I can't find a load it likes, and if you don't want to send it back to them to fix it, put a new barrel on it and problem solved. <SNIPPED STUFF>

Again, you never came back on to say whether you shot the rifle or not. So we are still are under the impression you have NOT shot the gun and are just upset about the amount of free-bore. At which point MagnumManiac chimed in with this...

I find it rather amusing that so many people assume a long throat is somehow going to induce poor accuracy. A good many rifles shoot itty bitty groups with jumps of more than .250" and even more. It's laughable that so many measure the throat, find it long and throw their arms in the air, howl at the moon, but fail to SHOOT the rifle or experiment. <SNIPPED STUFF>

Perhaps he was a tad condescending with you, since we didn't know if you shot the rifle or not, but several people have asked or suggested that you shoot the rifle first and you never replied. You left a 'vacuum' of information, so people tend to fill that void with assumptions. Then you replied:

So you think I just bought the right (I think you meant "rifle") and started complaining without shooting the rifle? I been doing load development with ---- poor result. I'm glad that you are amused now troll somewhere else.

So...now that you've said that, could you share with the group what loads you've fired and what group sizes you've gotten? I'm just curious. Each rifle is it's own 'world' and some like Bullet A more than Bullet B, velocity A over velocity B, and COAL of this length vs COAL of that length. So it's reasonable for people to wonder what the EFFECT has been from the free-bore you have found in your rifle. Remington isn't perfect. It could have been a gun that 'slipped through' with too much free-bore. Or it could have been built that way on purpose, out of an abundance of caution. But they aren't idiots. They've been at this for a day or two. Free-bore alone does not = poor accuracy. Weatherby's can shoot and they are well-known for a lot of free-bore.

This is NOT an attack on you. But after four pages of thread...we still don't know HOW well the gun shoots or what you've tried in it. Barnes bullets generally like a big jump. Something to try if you haven't already. Best of luck to you with your rifle. I'm sorry you are so unhappy with it. That's frustrating.

Today what you tote is true, .375" across the board, excepting the 240 Weatherby that has no freebore like the others.
Back in the day they had .500" on everything except the 378 and 460.

Don't really care what you think you know today, these were the specs originally. Do your research.

Cheers.

I'm just going by the SAAMI prints and the published numbers you'll get from Weatherby. If you look at those two easily found and verifiable recourses you will not find any of the numbers your claiming. Every reamer I have matches the specs from Weatherby and SAAMI, so it looks like you better get ahold of them and get them to fix things!!

I've been following this thread and after I read the very first post...

...my first thought was, "But HOW DOES IT SHOOT?" Isn't that what really matters? You never said you shot it in this post nor how it shot. Just that you found it had a very long throat. Fair enough. Then KurtB said...

You never replied, so we still didn't know if you were just 'academically' complaining or if the free-bore was causing an actual accuracy issue. And I guess that's fine. You were just mentioning the generous free-bore and wondering if that was acceptable or not. Free country. You get to do that. But apparently we weren't the only ones curious about HOW THE GUN SHOT because then MASH posted and said...

Again, you never came back on to say whether you shot the rifle or not. So we are still are under the impression you have NOT shot the gun and are just upset about the amount of free-bore. At which point MagnumManiac chimed in with this...

Perhaps he was a tad condescending with you, since we didn't know if you shot the rifle or not, but several people have asked or suggested that you shoot the rifle first and you never replied. You left a 'vacuum' of information, so people tend to fill that void with assumptions. Then you replied:

So...now that you've said that, could you share with the group what loads you've fired and what group sizes you've gotten? I'm just curious. Each rifle is it's own 'world' and some like Bullet A more than Bullet B, velocity A over velocity B, and COAL of this length vs COAL of that length. So it's reasonable for people to wonder what the EFFECT has been from the free-bore you have found in your rifle. Remington isn't perfect. It could have been a gun that 'slipped through' with too much free-bore. Or it could have been built that way on purpose, out of an abundance of caution. But they aren't idiots. They've been at this for a day or two. Free-bore alone does not = poor accuracy. Weatherby's can shoot and they are well-known for a lot of free-bore.

This is NOT an attack on you. But after four pages of thread...we still don't know HOW well the gun shoots or what you've tried in it. Barnes bullets generally like a big jump. Something to try if you haven't already. Best of luck to you with your rifle. I'm sorry you are so unhappy with it. That's frustrating.
Sorry for not responding to every post. I'm on call 24/7 and get distracted at work. When I first bought the rifle I was given some Hornady 143 elf-x precision hunters. I used that ammo to break in the barrel. Never seen a group better then 2 inches at 100 yards. I purchased some h4350, and some 143 elf-x. I loaded 4 at half grain increments from 36 Grainger to 38.5. Best group was around 1 3/4 inch's at 37.5 grains. The other group from 2 to 2 1/2. The cases I'm using are the Hornady factory. I just ordered me a ha precision stock hoping that will help.

speed is key.

Send me a PM if you need more specific information

also, 165g in 338 WM...holy cow, mashemflatmagnum deer bullet...blow them all to heck

Sorry for not responding to every post. I'm on call 24/7 and get distracted at work. When I first bought the rifle I was given some Hornady 143 elf-x precision hunters. I used that ammo to break in the barrel. Never seen a group better then 2 inches at 100 yards. I purchased some h4350, and some 143 elf-x. I loaded 4 at half grain increments from 36 Grainger to 38.5. Best group was around 1 3/4 inch's at 37.5 grains. The other group from 2 to 2 1/2. The cases I'm using are the Hornady factory. I just ordered me a ha precision stock hoping that will help.
Anything would be better than that black plastic the SPS comes with. It has a pressure point near the tip of the forearm, too. Some barrels like a pressure point, some don't. I just finished removing the pressure point from a Rem 700 wood stocked 7mm Mag. It had LOTS of upward pressure on the barrel. With the sporter weight barrel on that SPS I'd be shooting 3 shot groups and letting it cool before another group. I bore scoped the 7mm Mag barrel I just floated. It has had numerous rounds thru it, I can tell by the fire cracking. But, she's still got enough rough in 'er to be a copper mine.... Some of those Remington tubes never 'break-in'. Like I stated earlier, most factory barrels aren't worth putting much time into. Especially if you're looking for 1/2" or better..

Anything would be better than that black plastic the SPS comes with. It has a pressure point near the tip of the forearm, too. Some barrels like a pressure point, some don't. I just finished removing the pressure point from a Rem 700 wood stocked 7mm Mag. It had LOTS of upward pressure on the barrel. With the sporter weight barrel on that SPS I'd be shooting 3 shot groups and letting it cool before another group. I bore scoped the 7mm Mag barrel I just floated. It has had numerous rounds thru it, I can tell by the fire cracking. But, she's still got enough rough in 'er to be a copper mine.... Some of those Remington tubes never 'break-in'. Like I stated earlier, most factory barrels aren't worth putting much time into. Especially if you're looking for 1/2" or better..
For a factory barrel I will say the fouling isn't that bad. It's not as easy to clean as a custom barrel but I didn't have to wear my arm out using a scrub brush. I have seen much worse. What's your thoughts on skim bedding the hs precision stock? I'm hoping I can just install the stock and torque it down to improve the accuracy. This close to deer season I am hoping that it want need to be bedded.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.