Remington 700 throat to long

MOOSE39465

Am I the only one experiencing a extremely long throat on a 6.5 Creedmoor? I can put a 143 eld-x bullet into the chamber point the muzzle downwards then chamber a case that has been size and the bullet never touches case. Rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor Remington 700 SPS with 24 inch barrel. This can't be right?

Had the same problem with an SPS .308. I could seat an SMKT just into the case & not come close to touching the lands. Put 1000 rounds through it & the throat was so eroded I had to change it out.

BW

I have been buying Remington rifles for 25 years. This will be the last one I ever buy. To many other good rifles out there now to put up with this.

Verbatim from my buddy:

"Remington makes sure you will never touch the lands."

He's a trained gunsmith and loves building long range rifles in his free time, but he's pretty fed up working for Remington.

Lol

Am I the only one experiencing a extremely long throat on a 6.5 Creedmoor? I can put a 143 eld-x bullet into the chamber point the muzzle downwards then chamber a case that has been size and the bullet never touches case. Rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor Remington 700 SPS with 24 inch barrel. This can't be right?
I'm guessing this is on a short action.
Saami reamers are .199 freebore so unless you put in a wyatts 3" box you'll never get there. I dont know how the143 stacks up against the Berger 140 VLD but you have to be about 2.93 to get to the lands with a 140.
Blame Hornandy for all that freebore not Remington I'm betting they using saami reamers.

I'm guessing this is on a short action.
Saami reamers are .199 freebore so unless you put in a wyatts 3" box you'll never get there. I dont know how the143 stacks up against the Berger 140 VLD but you have to be about 2.93 to get to the lands with a 140.
Blame Hornandy for all that freebore not Remington I'm betting they using saami reamers.
Of course they are using SAAMI spec reamers. These are 'off the shelf', factory rifles. Maybe even reamers with longer than SAAMI throats and leads, just to keep pressures down. Build an 'off the shelf' rifle and you don't know who the buyer is. Could be someone who knows and understands, or it could be just another interdnet trainee.

Is it possible to have to barrel set back enough to take up the Freebore?
Curious if you have shot it yet and how accuracy is? I bought a 700 action, had a good smith screw on a Hawk Hill barrel and set the throat at .150. I can hit the lands with a 147 eld at 2.81" and I do not remember shooting a group that exceeded .5 moa with it. Doing it that way costs you some case capacity and I am probably running 50-100 fps slower than I would have been but I love the precision of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.