Muzzle break on Remington 700 Long Range

walters900

I want to put a muzzle brake on Remington 700 Long Range (not the Sendero), but was told by a local individual who builds on firearms that I would have difficulty with that due to the finish on the barrel and the taper. 2 questions that I have, does anyone on this forum have history with braking this particular model of rifle? Also does anyone know a good gunsmith in Northwest Indiana with decent turn around time? Thanks.

I want to put a muzzle brake on Remington 700 Long Range (not the Sendero), but was told by a local individual who builds on firearms that I would have difficulty with that due to the finish on the barrel and the taper. 2 questions that I have, does anyone on this forum have history with braking this particular model of rifle? Also does anyone know a good gunsmith in Northwest Indiana with decent turn around time? Thanks.

Not sure what firearms he's building but make sure not to take any advice from him.

Barrel diameter and bore size is all that's necessary to chose the proper thread size and pitch. The brand and type of rifle has nothing to do with muzzle brake installation, only the difficulty in the setup and disassembly. Also The taper is removed when cutting the thread tenon for the brake, so it has nothing to do with the barrel taper.

Sometimes the finish may be difficult to match but not impossible.

I would be concerned about him installing a/the brake because a poorly installed brake is nothing but trouble and it sounds like he doesn't do it
very much if at all so better to be safe.

J E CUSTOM

J E CUSTOM

I won't if the way he's setting it up in the lathe makes for an issue and there will be marring of the finish or something.
Muzzle brake install are one of the bread and butter type jobs normally.

Huh?!?! I did 6 or 7 last month! Use Beast mini brakes, slight taper at the back and cerakote matte black!
How much do you charge to install a break, if I provide the brake? Also how much would you charge to install a new barrel, assuming that I provided the barrel blank, thread it for a muzzle brake, and trued and bedded the action? The reason why I'm asking is that if I have to ship it, I may as well have everything done at once. Unfortunately, I'm new to long range shooting and I don't really know any of the gunsmith in this area. Thanks

Not sure what firearms he's building but make sure not to take any advice from him.
That's why I came looking for a second opinion. I just don't think he wanted the hassle, he isn't a true gunsmith, he's a machinist who has built several of his own guns for himself and family members, he is an acquaintance of a colleague of mine at work, that's how I by involved with him.

polite way of saying... sorry bub, don't feel like it...
I watched Cameron at CC gunworks in Bowman do one (a lr Remington) while I talked with him about a future build a few months back... Looked great and didn't take that long at all...

Since starting this post, I actually found a gunsmith who installed the brake for me. Took him less than hour and half to recrown the barrel and fit the brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.