Remington 700 recall: timney trigger?

Bigeclipse

OK so I just noticed on another forum that remington has recalled all its 700 line rifles with x-mark pros due to the trigger. I bought mine last year so I am pretty sure it is one of the recalled rifles (it is a 700 montain ss and does have the X mark pro trigger). Well, after reading some more it seems the recall will take between 10-12 MONTHS!!! that's crazy! Personally, i think my rifle is ok...I have shot it probably about 100 times and the safety never caused a round to go off, but I hate taking risks and would prefer it to be safe (yes I know the 10 comandments of gun safety). So now I am contemplating getting a timney trigger so I wont be out my rifle for a year, especially with hunting season right around the corner.

I have read some threads on some timney's causing issues with bolt (grinding noises) while others did not fit the stock or bottom metal well...I am wondering what everyone's take is on this? I am considering jewell trigger but they are much more expensive and much harder to find and have heard issues with those as well. I am not a competition shooter, this is strictly a hunting rifle out to 400 yards.

If you are going to replace your trigger, get another factory Remington trigger (you can find them used very inexpensively) or get a Jewell. But do not get a Timney. Two of my friends have had them and both of them had them fail. One of them failed...twice! As a result, I would NEVER own a Timney.

I have two Rifle Basix that seem to be pretty good, both adjusted to under 1lb, might seem light to some people but I'm used to the 2oz Jewell triggers so they work for me

If you are going to replace your trigger, get another factory Remington trigger (you can find them used very inexpensively) or get a Jewell. But do not get a Timney. Two of my friends have had them and both of them had them fail. One of them failed...twice! As a result, I would NEVER own a Timney.

How did they fail?

I have a .270 that's had a Timney for -- uh, lesee -- counting on my toes, too -- er -- well -- since the 1950's. I think.

What's that, 60+ years? (I ran out of things to count at 21!)

It's worked very well all that time, and it works well today.

But I don't know if they've changed their triggers since the 1950's.

I used to have a Remington 600 that had trigger issues just about like the one the recall is for today -- I would try to fire a shot and it wouldn't fire, but when I set the safety and put the rifle down on the bench, THEN it would go off!

Based on my experience, if I were in the OP's shoes, you bet I would go for a new Timney or Jewell YESTERDAY.

OK so I just noticed on another forum that remington has recalled all its 700 line rifles with x-mark pros due to the trigger. I bought mine last year so I am pretty sure it is one of the recalled rifles (it is a 700 montain ss and does have the X mark pro trigger). Well, after reading some more it seems the recall will take between 10-12 MONTHS!!! that's crazy! Personally, i think my rifle is ok...I have shot it probably about 100 times and the safety never caused a round to go off, but I hate taking risks and would prefer it to be safe (yes I know the 10 comandments of gun safety). So now I am contemplating getting a timney trigger so I wont be out my rifle for a year, especially with hunting season right around the corner.

I have read some threads on some timney's causing issues with bolt (grinding noises) while others did not fit the stock or bottom metal well...I am wondering what everyone's take is on this? I am considering jewell trigger but they are much more expensive and much harder to find and have heard issues with those as well. I am not a competition shooter, this is strictly a hunting rifle out to 400 yards.
Old-style Rem, Timney, or Jewell.....Those are all much better units if they're adjusted properly. Timneys are great triggers. And to be honest, a Jewell is a Jewell.....And nothing really compares, unless you really really really know how to work an old style Remington or Timney. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those 3 options. And honestly, the sooner you swap out that XMP piece of junk in that rifle, the better off you'll be.

For the money Shilen makes a very nice trigger. I like them much better than the standard Timneys and in the 20 or so yrs using them I've never had one fail. Butch's Reloading has them in stock with the safety and bolt release already installed for 140 bucks.

I have two Rifle Basix that seem to be pretty good, both adjusted to under 1lb, might seem light to some people but I'm used to the 2oz Jewell triggers so they work for me

What was the install like? Did you have to modify your stock or bottom metal?

Old-style Rem, Timney, or Jewell.....Those are all much better units if they're adjusted properly. Timneys are great triggers. And to be honest, a Jewell is a Jewell.....And nothing really compares, unless you really really really know how to work an old style Remington or Timney. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those 3 options. And honestly, the sooner you swap out that XMP piece of junk in that rifle, the better off you'll be.

Same as above question for jewel triggers. What is the install like on a 700? Do you have to modify your stock or bottom metal? this is a remington mountain ss and modifying it sounds risky...I dont mind spending money on a trigger but the goal here is to swap the remington trigger so it is safe...trigger pull is less of a concern for me especially since I am use to 4+ pound triggers and this remington is only used to 300-400 yards MAX.

For the money Shilen makes a very nice trigger. I like them much better than the standard Timneys and in the 20 or so yrs using them I've never had one fail. Butch's Reloading has them in stock with the safety and bolt release already installed for 140 bucks.

Same as questions above...do you need to modify the stock or bottom metal?

Installation is less than 30 min job and the only modification I have had to do with a Shilen is make a relief groove in a couple of stocks where the adjustment screws and lock nuts are for clearance. I use a Dremel and about 2 min of time. No other mods should be necessary.

What was the install like? Did you have to modify your stock or bottom metal?

Same as above question for jewel triggers. What is the install like on a 700? Do you have to modify your stock or bottom metal? this is a remington mountain ss and modifying it sounds risky...I dont mind spending money on a trigger but the goal here is to swap the remington trigger so it is safe...trigger pull is less of a concern for me especially since I am use to 4+ pound triggers and this remington is only used to 300-400 yards MAX.

Same as questions above...do you need to modify the stock or bottom metal?

I've found that swapping out the trigger in a Rem700 to be (at least to this non-machinist) about as easy a gun modification as anything there is.

I used to swap out my tuned (to 2lbs) Rem700 trigger for a Shilen 2oz "Competition" trigger I used to have. Before I took the rifle hunting I would put in the tuned original trigger and when shooting at the range (load testing/competition/etc) I would put in the Shilen 2oz. It was very simple and actually fun. I would make sure to torque the action screws the same each time I swapped them out and over the 3 years I had the rifle accuracy never suffered as a result of this.

As for needing to modify the bottom metal for a Jewel, I honestly don't know. However, since a trigger merely "hangs" off the bottom of the Rem700 receiver (held in place by two very easily removed pins)so must be in relatively the same position, I don't think there would be much if anything at all that would need to be done to the bottom metal. If something did need to be modified on the bottom metal you may want to take it to a qualified 'smith for that.

If there was any rifle stock material around the trigger/trigger safety area that would need to be shaped to accommodate an aftermarket trigger, it would be an easy task for anyone even somewhat mechanically inclined. With a gently-applied Dremel tool, maybe some light-filing, sanding and some patience these types of "adjustments" are not tough at all.

IF any shaping would be needed, gently/slowly remove "just enough" material to fit the trigger and then simply seal any exposed "fill" material (which is underneath the stocks "hard" shell") with an appropriate hardening epoxy (or whatever is most suitable). Make sure the complete curing time on allowed and then paint the area to match the stock. Viola'!!! Stock modification complete!

I have installed several Timney triggers in the rifles that I have owned over the years. I am currently installing one in my custom 700. They have all been great except one. I had a Win Model 70 that was a huge problem. The bolt and safety would grind and were very stiff. I ended up removing it and going back to the factory trigger. But every 700 I own has been easy to install, easy to adjust, and have worked perfectly. I like them so much that I even have one in my little 10-22.

I have a Timney in my M700 custom. I have had it for about 8 months and it has worked great. I had to drimmel a small place on my H.S. Precision stock for clearance for proper install. It is set at 2.25# and it breaks there every time I check it with my scale. I am very happy with it.

Did the rifle basix drop in with out modification to the stock or bottom metal?

I have a timney on my 700 with a H-S precision stock. It dropped in with no modifications. I haven't had any problems with it in two years. But just remember every body makes a lemon sooner or later.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.