Remington 700 or Sako l61r

I think you'll enjoy the way the 168 VLD's work on deer. Especially if you finish the barrel @ 26", and they travel around the 3000 fos mark. You have a true 1:9 twist... I'd utilize it with the best compromise of speed and kinetic energy by using mid-weight bullets (160-168gr). You could even develop a load with the 180's.

Also, try using IMR 7828 SSC powder and Federal 210M primers. I use it in my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI for compressed loads. Works awesome. My .30-06 AI is estimated (using QuickLoad) to be pushing a 185 VLD right around 2,900 fps with my 26" 1:12 barrel. So you should have no problem hitting 3K with 168's.

Mudrunner,
My blank is 27" + right now. I will lose some of that in the process. It's stamped 9 on the end. I didn't check the twist to be sure. I don't know a lot about X-caliber, but the bore looks beautiful on this barrel.

To tell you the truth I never really thought about using the heavier bullets. Do you think 1-9 is enough to stabilize those babies? I'm a big fan of Hornady's SST for hunting. The BC is not like the VLD but they kick *** when they get there. I have no experience with Berger but would not be afraid to try them. I've never used 7828 either. I use a lot of H4831sc in 25-06 & .270 win. Are you using 7828 in 7mm mag or .280 ackley? Or both? What do you about Nosler Accubonds & the accubond long range? They have a radical BC.

Mudrunner,
My blank is 27" + right now. I will lose some of that in the process. It's stamped 9 on the end. I didn't check the twist to be sure. I don't know a lot about X-caliber, but the bore looks beautiful on this barrel.

To tell you the truth I never really thought about using the heavier bullets. Do you think 1-9 is enough to stabilize those babies? I'm a big fan of Hornady's SST for hunting. The BC is not like the VLD but they kick *** when they get there. I have no experience with Berger but would not be afraid to try them. I've never used 7828 either. I use a lot of H4831sc in 25-06 & .270 win. Are you using 7828 in 7mm mag or .280 ackley? Or both? What do you about Nosler Accubonds & the accubond long range? They have a radical BC.

1:9 is enough to stabilize up to a 180gr bullet. You'll be fine.

I use 7828 SSC in every caliber now, except for .308 Win & 7mm-08 Rem. And for those I use Varget.

I use 7828 SSC in my 7mm RemMag hunting loads, and with my barrel (26" 1:9.5), fire-formed Nosler brass, and Fed 215M primers, I'm pushing 168 VLD's to 3,115 fps, verified by my MagnetoSpeed V2 chrony. And not getting any real pressure signs. That's the exact load and rifle I shot those 2 deer with back in January.

I used to shoot Accubonds, but after discovering Bergers, I can't ever see going back.

Sounds like a potent load. Where is 7828 is burn rate? Slower than 4831? I have a 4 lb keg of the old H870 & wonder how it would be in the 7mm? I will be buying some 7828 sec. I have seen it around here. A lot of the faster powders are hard to find.

I just ran you load through strelok. 1.85 high @ 100. 3.94 low at 300. & 2700 ftlbs of energy. Does that sound close. I could see why you wouldn't change. Pretty flat for a 168.

Sounds like a potent load. Where is 7828 is burn rate? Slower than 4831? I have a 4 lb keg of the old H870 & wonder how it would be in the 7mm? I will be buying some 7828 sec. I have seen it around here. A lot of the faster powders are hard to find.

Google "Hodgdon Burn Rate Chart", and you should be able to see where almost all powders fall-in. It can be a very handy piece of info.

If using 7828 SSC in the standard sized cases (.25-06, .270, 280, or .30-06), then be VERY careful when working up a load. Pressure signs come quick and sudden. But when working up very slowly, and you find a good shooting load, if will most likely be a compressed load (or close to it), and it will have some pretty hot velocities.

You should be happy with the results if you take the time and effort to work the load up properly.

I just ran you load through strelok. 1.85 high @ 100. 3.94 low at 300. & 2700 ftlbs of energy. Does that sound close. I could see why you wouldn't change. Pretty flat for a 168.
Here's what Strelok says for mine @ 3115 MV...

31DA7B01-0A41-49EA-807A-9E6CED1510A1_zpsmzbmy9fi.png

I typo the 100 yard wrong. That was inches instead of moa as well. Has strelok been pretty close to reality for you? It's always been a little off for my 22-250. It always shoots a little flatter. But I don't have a chrony so I'm not sure what my velocity is. Which strelok do you have?

Just out of curiosity how much do your rifles weigh? Are you using heavy barrels? I assumed you are out west in one of the mountain states.

I typo the 100 yard wrong. That was inches instead of moa as well. Has strelok been pretty close to reality for you? It's always been a little off for my 22-250. It always shoots a little flatter. But I don't have a chrony so I'm not sure what my velocity is. Which strelok do you have?

Just out of curiosity how much do your rifles weigh? Are you using heavy barrels? I assumed you are out west in one of the mountain states.

Those 2 deer were around 175 and the 2nd was around 225. Aimed flat.....Freight trained 'em. I haven't had a chance to shoot LR since downloading Strelok so, not sure yet. But as for those 2 deer, everything spot-on to me.

I use iStrelok for the iPhone.

Alabama is a southeastern state. We don't have very many places to shoot LR out here. It's relatively hilly and not much for mountains. Most hunting is done in the woods, where 100 yard shots are about it. I specifically find places to hunt around the 300-500 range because I know my equipment and skills. Hunting up close is not a challenge for me, and hasn't been for years, so adding that slight skill level increase, gives the deer more of an advantage.

Almost all of my rifles are heavy barreled Sendero contour rifles, but I have a couple of lightweight huntng rigs for walking alot.

My two 7mm RemMags are both lightweight sporter barreled rigs.

Alabama huh. That's a lot of piney woods down there isn't it? Missouri isn't very wide open either till you get up north. When I think LRH I picture someone out west bustin' a big bull elk at some extreme range. Its fun wherever you are.
I have been blanketing for over 40 years now. Which definitly gives the deer a better chance. But i never really looked at it that way. I just wanted to spend more time in the woods.

Is the sendero contour the same as Remington's varmint contour?
Do you have any of them fluted? Sounds like you have all bases covered.

Alabama huh. That's a lot of piney woods down there isn't it? Missouri isn't very wide open either till you get up north. When I think LRH I picture someone out west bustin' a big bull elk at some extreme range. Its fun wherever you are.
I have been blanketing for over 40 years now. Which definitly gives the deer a better chance. But i never really looked at it that way. I just wanted to spend more time in the woods.

Is the sendero contour the same as Remington's varmint contour?
Do you have any of them fluted? Sounds like you have all bases covered.
Yeah, it's pretty much piney woods down here. Most people don't build their greenfields more than an an acre, so you don't see alot of long shots available.

Most of my rifles are fluted, and 3 of my Senderos are (Sendero SF), one is an older model Sendero (blued non-fluted), and another is what they call a Varmint (26" blued non-fluted).

Yeah, you could say I've got my bases covered for anything on this and every other continent, and most of Africa, with the possible exception of an elephant, unless my .45-70 Sharps would do the job (thought about reaming that chamber to .45-110). I like diversity and flexability in my calibers and weapons.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.