Remington 700 or Sako l61r

grahmpus

I starting a new 7mm build ( my 1st one). I have 2 40 year old rifles that need work. The 700 is a 25-06 with the throat wore out. The Sako is a 30-06 and it never did shoot as good as the 700. Which would make the best long range setup? Haven't decided what caliber either. Either 7mm rem. Or .280 AI. I would have to work on the bolt face if I went with the 7mm rem. ??????

From the sounds of it, you've answered your own question... 700 all the way.

7mm RM is my absolute favorite all-around game catridge. But I think you'll enjoy the .280 AI. Be sure the smith has the new SAAMI/Nosler spec reamer, so you can buy Nosler brand .280 AI brass (pre-formed).

The .280 AI is only about 100-150 fps slower than the 7mm RM, so you're not losing much at all. Plus, they're smooth to shoot with less recoil and muzzle blast.

Muddrunner,
thanks for the reply. I'm in northern Missouri right now & a limited internet connection in this area. Sorry it took me so long to get back to it. I was hoping one of you guy's with lots of experience with the 7mm mag would be listening. Which one of the two is harder on the barrel. I've never seen any comments on those 2. I know the RUM & the STW would be a little shorter barrel life. I will be doing my own smithing. Been in the machining biz for 38 years & I have all my fixtures built already. I will have to buy/rent a reamer. I have a jig for working on the bolt as well. I have a 27" SS barrel from X-caliber Barrels, a 6 groove 9" twist. We have a cnc lathe to turn the contour. What is your opinion on barrel fluting? Worth doing or is it just for looks.
thanks for your input.

To be honest... I love the sako L61r... But if I was doing a build, I'd go with the remington 700 all the way. Gunsmiths work them all the time... It's a proven platform for builds... And tons more options than for the Sako, less expensive too.

I thought about buying a Sako... But found a tikka t3 tactical for a good price so I went that route. I will probably use the tikka for a build once I shoot it out, but that won't be for a while seeing as I just got it this year.

Good luck and shooting man!

Muddrunner,
thanks for the reply. I'm in northern Missouri right now & a limited internet connection in this area. Sorry it took me so long to get back to it. I was hoping one of you guy's with lots of experience with the 7mm mag would be listening. Which one of the two is harder on the barrel. I've never seen any comments on those 2. I know the RUM & the STW would be a little shorter barrel life. I will be doing my own smithing. Been in the machining biz for 38 years & I have all my fixtures built already. I will have to buy/rent a reamer. I have a jig for working on the bolt as well. I have a 27" SS barrel from X-caliber Barrels, a 6 groove 9" twist. We have a cnc lathe to turn the contour. What is your opinion on barrel fluting? Worth doing or is it just for looks.
thanks for your input.

The .280 AI will be better on barrel life than the 7mmRM. The 7RM better than the STW. And the STW will be better than the 7RUM.

I would just go with the .280 AI since your action is for a standard bolt face. And later if you want to go with a 7mmRM, pick you up a cheap magnum 700 BDL or SPS rifle to use the action for a donor.

Thanks for the replys gentlemen.
Jboscobuys it is a beautiful rifle. Probably 90% or better finish so I would hate to dismantle it.it just doesn't shoot as well as I think it should.
Dkhunt14, I suspected that but I may go ahead and flute it for the weight reduction. I will probably turn a Remington varmint contour on it. So it will be a fairly heavy rifle. I have a 700 varmint rifle in 22-250 & love it. But it's load to tote all day.
Mudrunner, I keep flip flopping on the cartridge. Like you said either one would work. It will be at least a month or two before I start. Don't want take a rifle out of service this time of year.

Do you guys know anything about how the throat should be reamed? I plan on shooting 139 gr to 162gr. bullets. Not sure about that part of chambering the barrel.
Thanks again, Mark.

Been in the machining biz for 38 years & I have all my fixtures built already.

I did a little time in machine shops in the 1980s to appreciate what goes into a quality work out of quality equipment. With that many years of experience, you'll see and appreciate which platform is better designed and machined.

You cannot go wrong with either one. I owned both except my SAKO is a M995. The SAKO action, bolt, trigger is very slick and strong combination. "If" you can get all the parts you need for your build SAKO is the way to go IMHO ... and you can always build the parts you cannot get. :D:):cool:

Good luck on your project and keep us posted.

I'm anxious to get started. Trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start. I wait till late November. My grandson wants to hunt with the Sako. I inherited it from my father in law. So I think I will leave it as is & pass it on to him. I've watched all the videos on YouTube about rebarreling, truing, chambering & so on. Nothing more difficult than I have done before. I'm just sure about how I should configure the throat. Thanks for your input guys.

Mudrunner, thanks for the advise. That's what I'm hearing around here as well. They say if your going to shoot those high bc bullets you need a little more room for jump & I didn't understand that. Im thinking about making a short video of the whole process. Just highlighting each step. Just a thought.
Mark

Mudrunner, thanks for the advise. That's what I'm hearing around here as well. They say if your going to shoot those high bc bullets you need a little more room for jump & I didn't understand that. Im thinking about making a short video of the whole process. Just highlighting each step. Just a thought.
Mark

My gunsmith orders every reamer he has to special tight-chamber specs, but he orders them ALL with a standard/SAAMI throat. He says custom throating and tight-neck (neck-turn) setups are overrated for hunting rigs. He only uses tight-neck or special throated reamers for his competition BR rigs.

Mudrunner,
I think that's the way to go too. I'm definitely not building a BR or competition gun. Strictly fun & hunting. ( a little redundant there, hunting is fun) . like i said I will shoot normal hunting weight bullets.
I have experimented with turning the necks on some 25-06 brass made from 30-06 brass. It helps some in that situation. but that was for a factory barrel.
I would imagine i will be shooting 139/140 gr bullets most of the time with this rig. It may never hunt anything bigger than a whitetail in Missouri. im guessing the standard throat will be fine for those.
Thanks, Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.